What is a fair trade? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is a fair trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:42 pm

CBM, I have to say you lost some cool points referring to The Rock as the most electrifying man in sports entertainment history. LOL. Pro wrestling isn't event a sport. :-b
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:12 am

Honestly it's been three years since I've watched wrestling, but by then this handle was ingrained as an IM and email name, so there's no going back now. I think it's kind of funny.

In any case, I'll allude to the same thing as before. I don't place a lot of value on cool points from people at a fantasy baseball discussion website... lol

And yes, I brought this thread back from page two to say that.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:13 am

Don't take any offense I was just messing with you lightheartedly. :-D
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KULCAT » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:35 am

wkelly91 wrote:Some horrible trades don't turn out as horrible as they seem on paper (some do); but some don't. Who are we to judge?

In my league we have no trade voting. I also trust all 12 players. It works very well. IT's also a keeper league and we're friends. That's not to say that we don't disagree on trades; it's that we all realize that generally good ethics go with a generally good league.
And people are in control of their teams. Isn't that, after all, why we play?

I agree with the above statement. ;-D

Im on a similar situation. Sometimes i see some of the trades my friends make with one another and i wonder what the hell is going on with them. But bottom line as bad as the trades have gotten i know that there was no foul play, just dumb play.
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby great gretzky » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:38 pm

what do you do in the case of the oswalt's larry walkers, b williams, girffey's of the world? some players are drafted late for talent, not lack of skills. Can't someone gamble ont hem staying healthy?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Amazinz » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:58 pm

That's why I am rarely in favor of trade vetoing even prior to the season start. There are always exceptions to the rule and although CBMs method is well thought out and likely works most of the time its far from perfect because it still involves a good deal of subjectiveness.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:23 pm

Trading shouldnt be fair...its competition man.....If I can raid a guys whole team I will.....if doesnt know anything then he shouldnt be in the league, thats how I see it. Normally that doesnt happen now that I only play with experienced managers, but in special cases to fil a league we get a newbie, and I feel out around thsi time of year who the newbies are.

Its like getting picked on as a freshman by the senior football players, you turn around and do the same thing when it coems your time......and most freshman do get picked on unless they are smart and elusive.

As a fantasy GM, you have to know what your getting into our else you may not have a team left, at least in my league you wont.

If your not playing to win, then why play? Thats my philosophy.

Trading should never be fair? Its like a car salesman, he is gonna try his damnesty to rip you off and its your job to be on your game and compete with him for the best price......
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:23 pm

I agree with the Oswalt reference. I think players get drafted later than they should sometimes so draft position shouldn't play too much into the equation. I drafted Oswalt 6th round in one of my drafts. RJ was drafted 3rd. I wouldn't do that trade even if it was offered. You take players where you do based on where you think you can get them. I think Milton Bradley and Corey Patterson will have great years. But I wouldn't draft them in the 7th round because I know I can get them later than that. But if the owner misses out on the guy he thinks will have a breakout year (like Patterson or Bradley) in the later rounds then he should be allowed to try to pick him up. I drafted Reyes in the 20th round of one of my drafts. I'm sure as hell not going to entertain trade offers for him for guys like J. Spivey. I don't think draft position should come in to play in most cases cause some guys slide alot further than they should. And managers that have a hunch should be allowed to trade for the guys they think will do well. Trades should be looked at with the players involved and the potential of those players. If they are in line then the trade should be allowed.

I actually used to think this way as well. But I played fantasy hockey this year and before the season even started a team traded Ed Belfour (early 2nd round pick) for Alex Tanguay (6th round pick). I went on the message board and blasted the owner who was taking Tanguay in return. I didn't veto the trade but I was definately against it. Now anyone that knows hockey knows who won that trade. Who am I and who are you to tell another owner that what he thinks is going to happen this year is stupid? He just might be on to something and we shouldn't stop him from doing it. IMO. But like I said who am I? ;-7
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby red » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:50 pm

There's the references!
We got one guy called "great gretzky" and one guy who made a hockey trade reference. I think it was impossible to have a large discussion embed with the name "the great one" (even if he was referring to a wrester) and not end up with hockey somewhere.

I completely concur with the last post, RawDawg. I think the point is that we all have best-guesses- but we don't really know. And the point about injured players and sleeper candidates is real.
For instance, this year, I love Edwin Jackson- unfortunately for me, so does another owner in my league. Normally, people could get Jackson for a late-round flier or even a free-agent. In this particular case I would probably have to give up Randy Wolf for him. I won't-- but I believe there's a shot he's as good as Wolf this year... if I want to take that shot, and I'm wrong, I expect other owners to give me the opportunity to screw myself. It's my bed, I'll lie in it.
I think we're finding that experienced owners is the key. It's not so much "would you do it?" it's "do you think he knows what he's doing?"
When it's a newbie- the answer could be "no, he doesn't" and that just sucks-- someone took advantage of him. But if it's an experienced owner-- maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong-- but he's got to have the keys to his own car.
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby oscar15 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:22 pm

What if.....

I really like Alex Cintron. I think I can get him in lets say the 10th round because the other owners do not realize how good he is going to be. I draft a 2b or ss, or even 3b (cintron has that multiple position elig. we all know and love) earlier in the draft that is good.

For arguments sake, lets say I took L. Castilla in the 7th round because I needed a 2b.

Then....some idiot takes Cintron in the 9th round!

I'm not crazy about Castilla...would I be wrong to offer Castilla for Cintron? Because personally I think Cintron is going to out perform L. Castilla.

I prepared for the draft...had a sound strategy, but it was thwarted by another manager. Should I not be able to try and get Cintron after the draft is cmpleted?

So personally, I think you should be able to trade uneven draft picks after the draft.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 28)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers