HP Touchsmart TV tuner - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

HP Touchsmart TV tuner

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: HP Touchsmart TV tuner

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:18 pm

Clear QAM should pick up stations like "4.1" and "6.2" Thats where the HD channels show up. It should still get more then 9 channels though
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:30 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
jfg wrote:HD channels will be at the very end but the digi channels should have shown up by now. Did you update the drivers?

Would I need to update the drivers if I just bought the computer? I got it less than a month ago.

Maybe. It wouldn't hurt to try. I've heard of TV tuners that didn't pick up channels until they were updated. Digital QAM should definitely be picking up all your cable channels.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby silentjim » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:54 am

Signal strength could play a part. Cable boxes and tuners built in to your computer can require a better cable signal strength. I've had the problem before where I plug the exact same cable cord into the jack on the back of the TV and get a ton of channels but when I try a cable box in between I get no signal and no channels. You'd have to call comcast about that.

How many TVs do you currently have hooked up to Cable?

Also, most tuners in your computer I've seen recommend a manual addition of channels instead of the auto find. I again think this has to do with signal strength.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
(Past Year: 76)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:20 pm

silentjim wrote:Signal strength could play a part. Cable boxes and tuners built in to your computer can require a better cable signal strength. I've had the problem before where I plug the exact same cable cord into the jack on the back of the TV and get a ton of channels but when I try a cable box in between I get no signal and no channels. You'd have to call comcast about that.

Also, most tuners in your computer I've seen recommend a manual addition of channels instead of the auto find. I again think this has to do with signal strength.

I wondered about the manual addition.......I'll have to check that out. We have five TVs hooked up to cable currently, one into a digital comcast box and the rest are through a simple cable input like the one I am attempting to use.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:02 pm

Download ORB from orb.com and see if it finds your stations.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby silentjim » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:49 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
silentjim wrote:Signal strength could play a part. Cable boxes and tuners built in to your computer can require a better cable signal strength. I've had the problem before where I plug the exact same cable cord into the jack on the back of the TV and get a ton of channels but when I try a cable box in between I get no signal and no channels. You'd have to call comcast about that.

I wondered about the manual addition.......I'll have to check that out. We have five TVs hooked up to cable currently, one into a digital comcast box and the rest are through a simple cable input like the one I am attempting to use.

Technically I think Comcast only supports 3 or 4 tvs per line in. You might need an amplifier or a new better line to your house if the manual channel addition doesn't work.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:57 pm

silentjim wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:

Technically I think Comcast only supports 3 or 4 tvs per line in. You might need an amplifier or a new better line to your house if the manual channel addition doesn't work.

Another good point. However, I would think quality would go down rather then detection
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby silentjim » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:37 pm

acsguitar wrote:
silentjim wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:

Another good point. However, I would think quality would go down rather then detection

Yeah, you would think but for some reason it doesn't happen like that. It probably has something to do with a digital signal as opposed to an analog.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod

Postby jfg » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:02 pm

If the signal is fine into the TV it will be fine into the tuner. It depends on what node you're coming off of, but for television without a box, you can split a lot before you notice anything. I'm 99.9 percent sure it's not the signal.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:16 pm

Download orb tell us if that works
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Previous