HP Touchsmart TV tuner - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

HP Touchsmart TV tuner

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: HP Touchsmart TV tuner

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:49 pm

maybe it's gotta to do with listings. the channel list could be based on what you select when setting up TV in media center. you put in your zipcode, then it tells you to choose the right one from the list of cable providers. you have to select the right one to get all the channels. i would set up TV again.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:23 pm

we had to get one of these for each of our tvs recently in order to continue getting all of our channels. you get like two per household for free, maybe that's your problem?
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby jfg » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:45 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:Image

we had to get one of these for each of our tvs recently in order to continue getting all of our channels. you get like two per household for free, maybe that's your problem?

You must be in an area that is the beta for digital only. There are only a few of those areas that have cut off analog completely (coming in the next couple years to everywhere).

AquaMan2342 wrote:
jfg wrote:You should get more than 9 channels but other than locals you won't get HD channels as they need to be decrypted by their box. Not sure what's going on with the lack of channels though, you should get 2-99 plus local HD's with straight coax in. Anything above that will also need a Comcast box.

See this is what I figured. I pull the exact same cable out of the computer and put it into the TV and I am able to get all the channels I am looking for.

The TV you plugged the coax into: Is it HD or HD ready? I don't think it really matters, if your area Comcast has cut off analog you'd get zero channels if your tuner is analog only not 9. Is there a setting on the tuner or the computer software to change Cable/Air? Have you tried updating the drivers? That's always a good idea.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:00 pm

I am in the middle of a new scan right now....it takes a while and i'll update accordingly.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:14 pm

make sure you pick the right cable provider subscription after the zipcode.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:37 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:make sure you pick the right cable provider subscription after the zipcode.

I did, we run everything through comcast (digital). 50% done and I have the same nine channels again. We'll see how the last 50% goes.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jfg » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:45 pm

HD channels will be at the very end but the digi channels should have shown up by now. Did you update the drivers?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:15 pm

jfg wrote:HD channels will be at the very end but the digi channels should have shown up by now. Did you update the drivers?

Would I need to update the drivers if I just bought the computer? I got it less than a month ago.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:34 pm

It says the tuner is a Digital ClearQAM one......meaning I should be getting more channels correct?
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:04 pm

did you plug the coax cable in the right place? my guess is you're not plugging in your cable into the right hole, that is if you have dual tuner. does it have 2 separate coax inputs? if so, one is for NTSC analog cable and the other one is for OTA ATSC digital/QAM. if you are just trying to get cable, use the analog NTSC input. ATSC is for digital OTA (with the antenna) or QAM.

if you don't know QAM from NTSC from ATSC, etc. google it and learn what they are. you're not going to get clear QAM out of media center without special tinkering and OTA ATSC won't come out without a VHF/UHF antenna. what you are trying to receive is analog NTSC reception.

in addition you are not going to get ANY HD cable channels through your tv tuner, unless you have a cablecard equipped setup which you don't.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk