There's an Upset Brewing in... Soccer? What's that??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

There's an Upset Brewing in... Soccer? What's that???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: There's an Upset Brewing in... Soccer? What's that???

Postby knapplc » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:32 pm

The US lost to Brazil in the final.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:57 pm

That counter that resulted in the US's second goal was an absolute thing of beauty.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:29 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Tim Howard is an absolute beast. I think I mentioned it in my last post, but the U.S. has had serious World Class goalkeeping for awhile now, and Howard is the best they've ever had. He stops the weak U.S. defense from allowing a great number of additional goals they deserve to give up.

Too bad, he didn't show this kind of sharp play at Man United, no? :-b

bigh0rt wrote:I really love the way Dempsey plays and have since the last World Cup, and Donovan continues to play well on both sides of the ball. I think that as Altidore continues to mature (he's not even 20 years old yet), and realized how big, strong, and fast he actually is, he could turn into a real goalscoring threat for the U.S.

I rate Dempsey as well and I think playing in England has refined his style of play as far as developing a power/pace dimension. Donovan was terrific today. I won't get why Bradley keeps subbing in Casey for Altidore in each game in the tournament (at least from what I've seen), but my impression on the lad is he's a raw, athletic prospect and it's a shame he doesn't get much playing time at Villarreal (behind oddly enough Giuseppe Rossi and Joseba Llorente on the depth chart) because there's a focus on technique in playing in Spain which would do his game (and his team) one massive favor. What the US need are capable passers who are crisp and decisive on the ball. I think the lack of appearances have kept Altidore back, just as it has with Beasley at Rangers.

bigh0rt wrote:Sacha Kljestan should probably be cut from the team -- did he touch the ball a single time today after he was substituted in and not turn it over immediately to the Brasilians? I can't think of a single time the U.S. maintained possession after his touch. What an awful substitute.

Again, this falls on the gaffer's shoulders. Kljestan probably merits playing time in Bob Bradley's warped mind because he's a workrate-intensive player, but he gives away the ball too cheaply and has practically been the goat when he's trotted out there. That said, Ricardo Clark, and shoot Adu and Torres would've been more welcome subs than Sacha (what happened to Adu/Torres :-?).

bigh0rt wrote:The U.S. needs DaMarcus Beasley out there patrolling the wing with his speed and ability to hold the ball with pressure. Overall you can't get mad at having a 2 goal lead against the best team on Earth when you were a +550 underdog at kickoff.

On point with Altidore, Beasley looked rusty in his first two appearances, part of which being because he hasn't played much the last term at Rangers and another part of it being Bradley screwing his tactics when he put him on the pitch. It doesn't matter if you have a player that possesses the skill set needed for big matches, but all he has done is accumulate rust all season. One credit Bradley should be given over the past three matches is he got his starting XI right, a part of which meaning he had to gut out Beasley. He totally did it over with the substitutes. Same old story, really.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby fezzik » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:32 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:That counter that resulted in the US's second goal was an absolute thing of beauty.

Yeah...those were some great touches combined with some great movement, especially that last pass to Donovan...simply on the money.

I just felt the US got fatigued the second half. They weren't pressuring the ball nearly as well as they did the first half, resulting in Brasil having a lot of time/space to work with. Without the same pressure, more passing angles were created. This combined with Brasil's skill lead to a bunch of goals. On Brasil's second goal, Kaka just beat the defender with a great burst before his assist...but that cross shouldn't have happened if defended properly. The defender was too tired to keep up. Brasil just seemed more fit and came out with something to prove the second half...and unfortunately they proved it.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:52 pm

US choked bigtime in 2nd half. they froze on defense a few times and didn't get their men and brazil executed making them pay.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:59 pm

Another thing I forgot to add, for the second half, I thought the US should've switched their tactics a bit and have their attackers commit more within their own half, given that the midfield engine and rearguard seemed gassed (this was more apparent after say, the hour mark). Basically, cut off space and hold that lead (yes, play anti-football). While it's something to laud the US for not bottling their attack (as a number of teams do, ahem, Italy), nursing a two-goal cushion by choking off their own half should have taken primary importance. Another gaffe on Bob Bradley's part.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Previous

Return to General Talk