There's an Upset Brewing in... Soccer? What's that??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

There's an Upset Brewing in... Soccer? What's that???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: There's an Upset Brewing in... Soccer? What's that???

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:18 am

Can the US shock the world again? Brazil barely passed by South Africa. :-o
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Old_Style » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:04 am

I thought Spain was supposed to be good. I wake up and they're tied with South Africa, 2-2, in the seventh minute.

EDIT: Nevermind, they're in extra time. !+) O:-)
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Old_Style wrote:I thought Spain was supposed to be good. I wake up and they're tied with South Africa, 2-2, in the seventh minute.

They played their second choice side. Hence, good, just not great. :-b
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 671)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:34 pm

Spain ends up winning it. Now to the real match. :-]
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:36 pm

I love watching Univision before these big matches. So many fit Latina girls in skimpy shorts and Brazil tops. :-°
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:23 pm

Well that was disappointing.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:46 pm

I didn't think it was a quality showing from the US, but they put in a good effort once again. That first goal was comedic happenstance, but that second goal was of real quality on the break. However, I couldn't see them possibly keeping Brazil out for 90 minutes when they've been forfeiting space down the flank as they had been. There's no way Tim Howard could keep Brazil out, even though he played out of his mind for another game. That said, Bob Bradley's boneheaded substitutions helped lose this game as well. Hopefully, the experience proves well for next year's World Cup where qualification out of the group stages would still be a fantastic success.

Brazil, for me, have been unconvincing in this whole tournament, but like all quality teams, they had enough of it to get back in it.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:04 pm

The first half went exactly the way the US needed it to go. The first goal was a bit weak, but the counter-attack on the second goal was great. They did a wonderful job defending on the first half, but it seemed that they went even further back on the second half. Brazil didn't play all that great either and the match was a little boring overall with the US only defending and Brazil really unable to create anything.

Credit to the US in making it to the final and almost grabbing the trophy.

ps. I love how confident Dani Alves is, he'll shoot from anywhere. :-D
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:08 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:ps. I love how confident Dani Alves is, he'll shoot from anywhere. :-D

He also hits 9 out of every 10 crosses wrong. :-b

As a Barca fan, I'm a bit indifferent about Alves. He's almost like a second winger and while I don't really rate him as a solid defensive right-back, he does provide valuable service and is another weapon for the opponent's rearguard to think about.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:54 pm

Sloppy defending the entire game from the U.S. outside backs. Brasil picked on that left side the entire first half, seeing that Spector could be beaten pretty much every time. The only real solid back they have there is Onyewu and even he makes far too many bonehead plays to play center back. They will need to shore up their organization, shape, and stop ball watching like early teenagers if they want to stop allowing teams to play in their own box. You guys say the first goal was weak, but it was an excellently placed ball, and a nice redirection finish, which is all that is necessitated on a ball being played in like that. There's a large degree of luck, but with any flighted ball there seems to be. As I recall Brasil put the game winner in off of their team captain's chest. It's all in the redirection, as the keeper has already committed. Tim Howard is an absolute beast. I think I mentioned it in my last post, but the U.S. has had serious World Class goalkeeping for awhile now, and Howard is the best they've ever had. He stops the weak U.S. defense from allowing a great number of additional goals they deserve to give up. I really love the way Dempsey plays and have since the last World Cup, and Donovan continues to play well on both sides of the ball. I think that as Altidore continues to mature (he's not even 20 years old yet), and realized how big, strong, and fast he actually is, he could turn into a real goalscoring threat for the U.S. Sacha Kljestan should probably be cut from the team -- did he touch the ball a single time today after he was substituted in and not turn it over immediately to the Brasilians? I can't think of a single time the U.S. maintained possession after his touch. What an awful substitute. The U.S. needs DaMarcus Beasley out there patrolling the wing with his speed and ability to hold the ball with pressure. Overall you can't get mad at having a 2 goal lead against the best team on Earth when you were a +550 underdog at kickoff. Great experience for the Americans, getting a feel for the lay of the land in the stadium's of next year's World Cup and getting to play back-to-back tremendous opponents and not being embarrassed. The game in this country has taken larger steps forward than any other in the last 15 years, and I hope it continues to grow. It was interesting to see about 90% of the wall posts on my Facebook news feed dedicated to the match throughout the duration of it.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 359)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk