There's an Upset Brewing in... Soccer? What's that??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

There's an Upset Brewing in... Soccer? What's that???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: There's an Upset Brewing in... Soccer? What's that???

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:50 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:Brazil looked pretty good against Italy, or maybe they looked good because Italy looked so bad. I'm pretty confident they can bet the South Africans tomorrow and take on the Americans on the weekend. I'm always scared about playing the Americans ever since their game in the 94 World Cup. That Round of 16 game was one of the most tense games I have ever watched.

Yeah, I remember that game as well as that one match back in the 2002 WC where the US outplayed Germany, had the best clear-cut chances, but couldn't get past the wall called Oliver Kahn. To this day, I really believed it was them who deserved to go on for another day.

I'd say Italy were equally as bad as Brazil were good. The biggest problem Italy will face in next year's World Cup is Lippi's stubbornness to keep the old guard intact because that age had really shown. Granted to Lippi's defense, the new talent haven't really shown their best suit, but I think they should be given a chance to shine as they have some gems. At any rate, it's a no-no for Daniele de Rossi to take on as many roles as he did in the heart of the park.

Mookie4ever wrote:35 game unbeaten streak. I think that 34 of them were draws. %-6

They did win against Germany in last year's European championship. I reckon the one that counted, no?
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:55 pm

knapplc wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:
knapplc wrote:I don't care how far off their game Spain were, and I don't care how lucky the Americans were, beating a team that was on a 35-game win streak is pretty impressive, especially when they're the #1 team in the world.

Bring on Brazil. You learn the most when you play the best. ;-D

35 game unbeaten streak. I think that 34 of them were draws. %-6

Yep, looks like they had some draws there. I think the article I just read said Spain have won 15 straight, and are unbeaten in their last 35, meaning there must have been some draws in there somewhere.

You are correct, sir. Since the streak began, I believe Spain only drew twice if I remembered right.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:03 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:Brazil looked pretty good against Italy, or maybe they looked good because Italy looked so bad. I'm pretty confident they can bet the South Africans tomorrow and take on the Americans on the weekend. I'm always scared about playing the Americans ever since their game in the 94 World Cup. That Round of 16 game was one of the most tense games I have ever watched.

Yeah, I remember that game as well as that one match back in the 2002 WC where the US outplayed Germany, had the best clear-cut chances, but couldn't get past the wall called Oliver Kahn. To this day, I really believed it was them who deserved to go on for another day.

I'd say Italy were equally as bad as Brazil were good. The biggest problem Italy will face in next year's World Cup is Lippi's stubbornness to keep the old guard intact because that age had really shown. Granted to Lippi's defense, the new talent haven't really shown their best suit, but I think they should be given a chance to shine as they have some gems. At any rate, it's a no-no for Daniele de Rossi to take on as many roles as he did in the heart of the park.

Yup. I'd say age is the biggest problem for Italy right now. Brazil was on the same situation a couple of years ago and I haven't really watched them play until this Confederations Cup. I was never really a big fan of Dunga as our head coach, but I'm glad he decided to give some of the younger guys a chance.

Are you a supported of the US, Spain or England, AD? Or just a supporter of well played soccer like Mookie?
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 608)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:46 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:

35 game unbeaten streak. I think that 34 of them were draws. %-6

Yep, looks like they had some draws there. I think the article I just read said Spain have won 15 straight, and are unbeaten in their last 35, meaning there must have been some draws in there somewhere.

You are correct, sir. Since the streak began, I believe Spain only drew twice if I remembered right.

Are you trying to tell us that you have an independent recollection of the last 35 Spanish international matches? That's incredible.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby knapplc » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:51 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Are you trying to tell us that you have an independent recollection of the last 35 Spanish international matches? That's incredible.

Says the man who knows the scores of every game played by every team in the Northeast Division of the Eastern Conference of the NHL by heart. Surely you're not surprised by this in this context.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:51 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:Are you a supported of the US, Spain or England, AD? Or just a supporter of well played soccer like Mookie?

Hmmm... I wouldn't really call myself a national team supporter, or at least, a die-hard. A few of my friends are a bit confused as to why I don't really support Spain being that I'm half-Spanish, have family living in Barcelona, and many a trip there. However, like virtually all folks in that region of Spain (Catalunya/Catalonia), we see ourselves as Catalans first, Spaniards second and then there are the crazies who don't consider themselves Spanish, much like the way Spanish Basques feel because they have their own language, culture, etc. Some see supporting the Spanish national team as supporting a team that embodies centralization for a nation that Catalans don't really want to be a part of and some will go as far as saying supporting Spain is no different from that of Real Madrid, who for many Catalans isn't just the Evil Empire, but a representation for Fascist repression of their way of life. By the same token, Barcelona is like the Catalans' national team and therefore, the Spanish national team is met with apathy. However, times are changing because Catalonia now has greater pull in government and that has changed on the pitch because a number of Catalans play for the side now (i.e. Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas) and to a certain extent, they play the way Barcelona do now, albeit I'd say it's a bastardized version of it. :-b

That said, I've always wished Spain the best, but when things go good or really great like when they broke the 44-year jinx last year, I don't get too excited or too happy. Consequently, when they lose or don't play well, I don't take it too hard. When they won Euro 2008, I felt more of a feeling that I'm glad they finally won something, but it wasn't one of those times where I threw a massive fiesta when it happened.

As for the US, I'm not a fan and I admit I don't follow the national team all too often aside from the major tournaments, but again, any progress they make is wonderful. It's a game that gets a very bad rap here because it's misunderstood, but the hopes are if the national team does well, then some will rally behind it and stick with it.

Ah, England. So, here's my bit with England. I've visited there as many times as I have Spain/Catalonia, and in fact, more times. It's sort of become more of a second home to me in some respects. That said, I'm not an England die-hard for a few reasons: I'm not English, it's not my country of origin, and I happened to support a team (Manchester United) whose die-hard Manchester-based fan base are practically the same way Barcelona fans and Catalans feel about Spain, to some degree. :-b That said, I do follow England as heavily as I do Spain and in fact, I associate some of the best moments of my life with those in London when Euro 96 happened. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:41 pm

New Zealand drew with Iraq!
Yay! :-b
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby Madison » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:51 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:Ah, the last few days have been one to laugh off shaking your head. First, the US did best they could against Italy only for an Italian-American, Giuseppe Rossi score Italy's two of three second-half goals. Then an absolute shocker to Brazil. It would've taken a miracle for the US to get through to the Confederations Cup semi on a terrible goals difference where winning against Egypt was likely to have meant f all to any chance of their advancing. What do you know, Italy get thrashed by Brazil, 3-0 and US beat Egypt 3-0 to overwrite the six-goal difference (an Egypt side that played well against Brazil/Italy but didn't show up at all vs. US). Guess what, US advance because of the higher goals scored count. Incredible. :-b Then, fast forward today, goodness I had a good hard laugh with this one.

I think it would be a different game if they had Marcos Senna in the center of the park; he was their most important player for Spain to win Euro 2008 in snuffing out most threats and winning the ball over. They also missed David Silva on the wing and of course, "lo p**o crack" Andres Iniesta as an extra retention-intensive mid to play in concert with Xavi. However, without Senna, that midfield loses much of their strength and composure. Hence, why you had seen the US being able to counterattack and even though they're not a counterattacking team by nature, when a team loses their steel at the heart of the park, such chances can be available.

I phoned my Dad during the game after US went up and basically said "lo p**o nada" Sergio Ramos is the most overrated defender ever and I've said this over and over again, he doesn't deserve a spot on La Furia. I can understand that he provides an attacking spark on the flank, but it's times like these where I see he's practically a winger who gets too far up the pitch and can't track back for his life to save him. He was also the goat on Clint Dempsey's goal to make it 2-nil.

I give credit to the US though. They were shaky for my liking in the first half, but they were better organized within their own box in the second. Not impressed much by the Yanks' attack and if Brazil advance, they should hope that they lay a massive egg like Spain did today.

wut

me no speaky whatever that is

Saw the US shocked the world, so I had to check this thread out. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Tavish » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:24 am

Phil Jackson is 14-1 in Confederation Cup games where the favored team wears green.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:51 pm

Tavish wrote:Phil Jackson is 14-1 in Confederation Cup games where the favored team wears green.

Ah, very astute. Tim Howard was indeed wearing a green keeper shirt.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk