There's an Upset Brewing in... Soccer? What's that??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

There's an Upset Brewing in... Soccer? What's that???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: There's an Upset Brewing in... Soccer? What's that???

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:55 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:So it seems to me to be somewhere between the Little League World Series and the Special Olympics in terms of importance.

It's a dress rehearsal for the World Cup. They play in some of the stadiums where World Cup games will be played and give the host country a chance to play some competitive games, since they don't have to go through qualifiers.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:47 pm

I only hope that Brasil doesn't decide to stomp the United States 5 - 0 as some sort of a statement. As AD said, we'll need them to lay a massive egg in order to have any sporting chance.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:56 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I only hope that Brasil doesn't decide to stomp the United States 5 - 0 as some sort of a statement. As AD said, we'll need them to lay a massive egg in order to have any sporting chance.

Yeah, the thing with the US that's disappointed me since making it so far in the 2002 World Cup is they're not the most fundamentally sound squad. It's not so much that they lack the ability, let alone the quality, but things like their passing and pressing need work. It doesn't help matters when their coach is something of a tactical dunce. Today, they were bailed out by fine last-ditch defending and fortunately, Spain weren't on their game.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:00 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I only hope that Brasil doesn't decide to stomp the United States 5 - 0 as some sort of a statement. As AD said, we'll need them to lay a massive egg in order to have any sporting chance.

Yeah, the thing with the US that's disappointed me since making it so far in the 2002 World Cup is they're not the most fundamentally sound squad. It's not so much that they lack the ability, let alone the quality, but things like their passing and pressing need work. It doesn't help matters when their coach is something of a tactical dunce. Today, they were bailed out by fine last-ditch defending and fortunately, Spain weren't on their game.

Yeah, even since they've made giant strides in world play, they are still one of the sloppiest teams you'll ever see play, even against opponents they outmatch in CONCACAF. Lazy play, poor tactics. They are frequently bailed out by last ditch defending and top tier keeper play that they've seemingly had forever now be it Meola, Keller, Friedel, or Howard. For the first time probably ever, our talent pool is rich enough to compete, but they just don't do enough with it. How I wish we could have gotten Klinsman to coach this team.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby knapplc » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:08 pm

I don't care how far off their game Spain were, and I don't care how lucky the Americans were, beating a team that was on a 35-game win streak is pretty impressive, especially when they're the #1 team in the world.

Bring on Brazil. You learn the most when you play the best. ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:16 pm

knapplc wrote:I don't care how far off their game Spain were, and I don't care how lucky the Americans were, beating a team that was on a 35-game win streak is pretty impressive, especially when they're the #1 team in the world.

I think knapp typo-ed. 8-o

I'm not sure but wouldn't it be? :-?

"I don't care how far off their game Spain was,"

or

"I don't care how far off their game the Spaniards were,"

:-B
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:17 pm

knapplc wrote:I don't care how far off their game Spain were, and I don't care how lucky the Americans were, beating a team that was on a 35-game win streak is pretty impressive, especially when they're the #1 team in the world.

35 game unbeaten streak. I think that 34 of them were draws. %-6
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby knapplc » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:41 pm

Metroid wrote:I think knapp typo-ed. 8-o

Of course I didn't. ;-)
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:44 pm

Brazil looked pretty good against Italy, or maybe they looked good because Italy looked so bad. I'm pretty confident they can bet the South Africans tomorrow and take on the Americans on the weekend. I'm always scared about playing the Americans ever since their game in the 94 World Cup. That Round of 16 game was one of the most tense games I have ever watched.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby knapplc » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:45 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:

35 game unbeaten streak. I think that 34 of them were draws. %-6

Yep, looks like they had some draws there. I think the article I just read said Spain have won 15 straight, and are unbeaten in their last 35, meaning there must have been some draws in there somewhere.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk