There's an Upset Brewing in... Soccer? What's that??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

There's an Upset Brewing in... Soccer? What's that???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

There's an Upset Brewing in... Soccer? What's that???

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:18 pm

I understand that the pending loss of Spain to the U.S. is going to be a big deal.

What is this game they're playing again?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: There's an Upset Brewing in... Soccer? What's that???

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:22 pm

I've been watching all afternoon. The US came out of the gate strong with a number of scoring opportunities in the first 10 minutes. Very cool to see them make some noise on the international level. Hopefully South Africa can knock off Brazil tomorrow and then we'd have a chance to actually win this thing. ;-D
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:31 pm

U.S. got it done like studs today. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:43 pm

What is this? World Cup, EuroCup, Olympic qualifying, something important?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:44 pm

What is this "thing" they're playing in?

edit: what mookie said
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:45 pm

It's the Confederations Cup
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:46 pm

lol Cowherd was ABSOLUTELY ripping the US and their chances today. I can't wait to hear what he has to say tomorrow.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:51 pm

bigh0rt wrote:It's the Confederations Cup

From wiki:

The FIFA Confederations Cup is an association football tournament for national teams, currently held every four years. The competition is organised by FIFA. It is contested by the winners of each of the six FIFA confederation championships (CAF, CONMEBOL, UEFA, AFC, OFC, CONCACAF), along with the FIFA World Cup winner and the host country, to bring the number of teams up to eight. The 2009 tournament is currently being held in South Africa.
The tournament was originally organised by and held in Saudi Arabia and called the King Fahd Cup (or Intercontinental Championship), contested in 1992 and 1995 by the Saudi national side and some continental champions. In 1997, FIFA took over the organization of the tournament, named it the FIFA Confederations Cup and staged the competition every two years.
On three previous occasions teams have declined to participate in the tournament. The UEFA Euro 1996 winner Germany declined to participate in the 1997 FIFA Confederations Cup, and was replaced by the Czech Republic, the runner-up in that tournament. France, 1998 FIFA World Cup winner, declined to participate in the 1999 FIFA Confederations Cup, and was replaced by Brazil, the 1998 World Cup runner-up (and also 1997 Copa America champion). Germany, the runner-up in the 2002 FIFA World Cup, declined to take part in the 2003 FIFA Confederations Cup, and was replaced by Turkey, the third-placed team in the 2002 FIFA World Cup.

The first forerunner of the Confederations Cup was the Mundialito, or Copa D'Oro. The Artemio Franchi Trophy, contested in 1985 and 1993 between the winners of the Copa America and European Football Championships, is considered a precursor to the Confederations Cup[2] and was effectively replaced by the tournament in the same way that the Intercontinental Cup club tournament preceded the FIFA Club World Cup.

So it seems to me to be somewhere between the Little League World Series and the Special Olympics in terms of importance.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:52 pm

Ah, the last few days have been one to laugh off shaking your head. First, the US did best they could against Italy only for an Italian-American, Giuseppe Rossi score Italy's two of three second-half goals. Then an absolute shocker to Brazil. It would've taken a miracle for the US to get through to the Confederations Cup semi on a terrible goals difference where winning against Egypt was likely to have meant f all to any chance of their advancing. What do you know, Italy get thrashed by Brazil, 3-0 and US beat Egypt 3-0 to overwrite the six-goal difference (an Egypt side that played well against Brazil/Italy but didn't show up at all vs. US). Guess what, US advance because of the higher goals scored count. Incredible. :-b Then, fast forward today, goodness I had a good hard laugh with this one.

I think it would be a different game if they had Marcos Senna in the center of the park; he was their most important player for Spain to win Euro 2008 in snuffing out most threats and winning the ball over. They also missed David Silva on the wing and of course, "lo p**o crack" Andres Iniesta as an extra retention-intensive mid to play in concert with Xavi. However, without Senna, that midfield loses much of their strength and composure. Hence, why you had seen the US being able to counterattack and even though they're not a counterattacking team by nature, when a team loses their steel at the heart of the park, such chances can be available.

I phoned my Dad during the game after US went up and basically said "lo p**o nada" Sergio Ramos is the most overrated defender ever and I've said this over and over again, he doesn't deserve a spot on La Furia. I can understand that he provides an attacking spark on the flank, but it's times like these where I see he's practically a winger who gets too far up the pitch and can't track back for his life to save him. He was also the goat on Clint Dempsey's goal to make it 2-nil.

I give credit to the US though. They were shaky for my liking in the first half, but they were better organized within their own box in the second. Not impressed much by the Yanks' attack and if Brazil advance, they should hope that they lay a massive egg like Spain did today.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:53 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:So it seems to me to be somewhere between the Little League World Series and the Special Olympics in terms of importance.

Yes.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Next

Return to General Talk