Can anyone defend Dice-K Irabu? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Can anyone defend Dice-K Irabu?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Can anyone defend Dice-K Irabu?

Postby HipHipJorge » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:48 am

From fantasy stand point no he is not worth having. But to people saying he is done; I do not buy that (talking RL). A DL stint would be nice however.
HipHipJorge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 405z06 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:57 am

Dice K needs to throw more gyroballs and less meatballs
+
405z06
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:25 am

this is an insult to irabu.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby AdvRider » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:31 am

raysfan4life wrote:Anyone want to defend this Irabu reincarnation?

Well, no one ever called Dice-K a "fat pussy toad."

And what's this about Dice-K being an Irabu reincarnation?

IRABU is reincarnating Irabu, in case anyone missed the news. :-]

Irabu dominates, gets plenty of support
Long-Beach Press Telegram
Posted: 06/13/2009

LONG BEACH - While the Yuma Scorpions were able to stop Lima Time the night before, they were no match for Irabumania on Saturday.

Former major-league pitcher and two-time World Series champ Hideki Irabu took a no-hitter into the fifth inning and his teammates were more than supportive as the Armada dominated in a 12-2 GBL victory at Blair Field.

Irabu, who won titles with the Yankees in 1998 and 1999 and also played for the Expos and Rangers during his six-year big-league career that ended in 2002, is attempting a comeback, much like fellow Armada starter Jose Lima.

If he can continue to throw like he did Saturday night, he might just get back. Irabu looked more like the pitcher who is recognized as one of greatest power pitchers in his homeland than the "fat toad" that Yankees owner George Steinbrenner ripped in 1999.

Drop Dice-K immediately. No good will come from him, ever again. Hold a spot for Irabu's September call-up.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:42 pm

405z06 wrote:Dice K needs to throw more gyroballs and less meatballs

Unless you can think of Falafel gyros (actually that does sound good), gyroballs and meatballs are practically the same thing. :-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby Rbsurf » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:55 am

debating on dropping him. His upcoming start against WASH was looking good, but now he is out..DL will be helpful.

Hesitant on dropping him because I have had some bad drops this year and dont want to continue that trend.
Rbsurf
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:58 am

Placed on DL and it may be longer than two weeks
http://twitter.com/AmalieBenjamin
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby lastingsgriller » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:02 pm

this is somewhat of a defense of dice.

he has been terrible this year and I would not start him if he were on my team. but.. when Daisuke is on, when he is in his groove, he is a really good pitcher. i watch a lot of baseball and have watched dice pitch numerous times this year. it looks right now like he lacks confidence and doesn't pitch like he is better than the hitter. but when dice just does his thing and believes in his head that he is unhittable, he becomes that. the way he pitched in the first WBC is a prime example of this.

but, alas, he has not been that this year. i think a stint on the DL would do him some good. rest that arm and get some confidence back. eventually he'll be all right. he's too talented to not get it figured out at some point.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 183)

Postby raysfan4life » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:08 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:this is somewhat of a defense of dice.

he has been terrible this year and I would not start him if he were on my team. but.. when Daisuke is on, when he is in his groove, he is a really good pitcher. i watch a lot of baseball and have watched dice pitch numerous times this year. it looks right now like he lacks confidence and doesn't pitch like he is better than the hitter. but when dice just does his thing and believes in his head that he is unhittable, he becomes that. the way he pitched in the first WBC is a prime example of this.

but, alas, he has not been that this year. i think a stint on the DL would do him some good. rest that arm and get some confidence back. eventually he'll be all right. he's too talented to not get it figured out at some point.

Look, we all know the Dice-K you are talking about. I watched him manhandle the Rays in the playoffs in Tampa last year, as he put on one of the most unhittable performances I've seen in recent memory. Everyone knows he has plus stuff, which is why he is so frustrating this year.

I think the unlimited pitch counts in Japan, coupled with the WBC workload and the general manner of Japanese athletes to not complain and just press on has all contributed to where we are now - he may just be worn out, and the only way to right the ship is to shut it down for a prolonged period of time.
raysfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Postby scientology » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:34 pm

In a re-draft, I would drop him if there was a player out there that could help your team. Saying that... you may want to wait a week and see if the Sox find a way to put him on the DL. A little rest and some easy starts in Pawtucket could bring him back before the end of the fantasy season for a few good starts. I'm hoping for someone to drop him in my league so I can stash him. Anyone saying his career is over is crazy.
scientology
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates