Can anyone defend Dice-K Irabu? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Can anyone defend Dice-K Irabu?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Can anyone defend Dice-K Irabu?

Postby raysfan4life » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:44 pm

I've heard it all season, and I'm finally convinced - Dice-K is too hittable, has too many walks, and is too flawed to count on as an SP you should keep on your roster - he is at best a match-up / streaming option until he proves otherwise, even if he plays for one of the best offenses in the league. I'm going to drop him for Blackburn or Contreras - just need to improve WHIP and ERA.

Anyone want to defend this Irabu reincarnation?
raysfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Can anyone defend Dice-K Irabu?

Postby heyeaglefn » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:16 pm

Dice K = Done K

Trade Penny
MoveDice K to the pen
Move Smoltz and Buchholz to rotation
heyeaglefn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:57 pm

what would happen if DiceK faced Wang? :-b
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby HipHipJorge » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:20 pm

He won 18 games last year....did Irabu ever do that?
HipHipJorge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raysfan4life » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:25 am

HipHipJorge wrote:He won 18 games last year....did Irabu ever do that?

The Irabu reference was in fun, but answer the question - can you defend having him on your fantasy roster? Do you have him, and are you keeping him? and if so, what has he shown you?
raysfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Postby walkoffblast » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:35 am

Lots of blame being thrown at the wbc and it would not be surprising if they slipped him to the DL. then it would be possible he gets his stuff straightened out and comes back stronger at some point. I hardly think his career is over if that is one of the implications of what you are saying. Depends mostly on the depth of your league.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby B-Chad » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:56 am

In short, Dice-K is terrible. I wanted nothing to do with him coming into the season, and can safely say he would not be rostered by me if he were available as a free agent. The 18 wins were nice last year, but come on, wins are volatile. His ERA was unbelievably luck aided, his FIP was low 4's last year. He walked almost 100 hitters last year, at about 5 BB/9. His BABIP against last year was under .270, and he pitches to fly ball/line drive contact, add that all up, and you are looking at a gas can looking for a light.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby walkoffblast » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:14 am

B-Chad wrote:In short, Dice-K is terrible. I wanted nothing to do with him coming into the season, and can safely say he would not be rostered by me if he were available as a free agent. The 18 wins were nice last year, but come on, wins are volatile. His ERA was unbelievably luck aided, his FIP was low 4's last year. He walked almost 100 hitters last year, at about 5 BB/9. His BABIP against last year was under .270, and he pitches to fly ball/line drive contact, add that all up, and you are looking at a gas can looking for a light.

There is a difference between overrated and terrible. If Dice-K was a free agent in your league before the year started you would not have left him on the wire. If someone was looking for a reason to not completely dismiss him, how about the opposite of luck from last year with a babip of .443
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby B-Chad » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:10 am

walkoffblast wrote:
B-Chad wrote:In short, Dice-K is terrible. I wanted nothing to do with him coming into the season, and can safely say he would not be rostered by me if he were available as a free agent. The 18 wins were nice last year, but come on, wins are volatile. His ERA was unbelievably luck aided, his FIP was low 4's last year. He walked almost 100 hitters last year, at about 5 BB/9. His BABIP against last year was under .270, and he pitches to fly ball/line drive contact, add that all up, and you are looking at a gas can looking for a light.

There is a difference between overrated and terrible. If Dice-K was a free agent in your league before the year started you would not have left him on the wire. If someone was looking for a reason to not completely dismiss him, how about the opposite of luck from last year with a babip of .443

You missed underlining: 5 BB/9, and that he induces no ground balls. I also never said anything about not picking him up as a free agent before the season, I said I wouldn't add him now, and that I wanted nothing to do with him coming into the season (and considering he was drafted in all but the absolute shallowest of leagues, I stand by that assertion). Yes, his BABIP is terrible, and even if he were throwing batting practice with fielders behind him, I wouldn't expect him to have a BABIP that high. However, I do believe that part of the reason his BABIP is up, is because his BB/9 about 1 (which at 4 ish still isn't good, but improved), meaning perhaps he's throwing some fat pitches. Seem reasonable? In very deep leagues I wouldn't advocate cutting him, but I can honestly say in 12 team mixed leagues I would not roster him. With wins being volatile, and him unable to even regularly go 6 innings, at best you are looking at a 1 trick pony with K's, but at the cost of W's, ERA and WHIP, no thanks.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DbacksRback » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:40 am

never liked/owned him.... never will :^

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager