Ranking The Offenses For Pitching Matchups - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

Ranking The Offenses For Pitching Matchups

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

Ranking The Offenses For Pitching Matchups

Postby WebHamster » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:54 am

This thread contains comments on Jake Sheets's Article "Ranking The Offenses For Pitching Matchups", which was posted in the Cafe's Articles section on June 18, 2009. The full article can be read here.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 443)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ranking The Offenses For Pitching Matchups

Postby mattmurf77 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:23 pm

im not sure i get this.. the sox yankees dodgers and phillies are all near the bottom??
mattmurf77
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby iltat » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:03 pm

I expect it's first to last, first being who you want your pitcher to face and last being who you don't want your pitcher to face.

EDIT: For the author of the article, Arizona's K/game boxes should be in green. Neon green. Like, lime green that they make warning posters out of. Perhaps flashing, also.

EDIT2: Minnesota's June K/game box should not be green. Phillies' should. Tampa Bay's should not. San Fran's, ATL's, San Diego's, Detroit's, and Seattle's June OBP should be green.
Last edited by iltat on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iltat
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:07 pm

mattmurf77 wrote:im not sure i get this.. the sox yankees dodgers and phillies are all near the bottom??

Yes, because the rankings are designed to identify the best pitching matchups (i.e., teams with bad offenses), the best offensive teams in the league, such as those you listed, would be towards the bottom. Teams that provide the most desirable pitching matchups (Seattle, San Diego, etc.) are listed towards the top.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:12 pm

iltat wrote:I expect it's first to last, first being who you want your pitcher to face and last being who you don't want your pitcher to face.

EDIT: For the author of the article, Arizona's K/game boxes should be in green. Neon green. Like, lime green that they make warning posters out of. Perhaps flashing, also.

Thank you, I've noticed a few minor errors as well (none of which should effect the rankings in any major way). Unfortunately I was asked to put this together last minute and didn't have time to properly look things over. I can no longer edit the article after submitting it.

If I get a chance to update these rankings in future articles, I'll be more careful. ;-D
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:15 pm

iltat wrote:EDIT2: Minnesota's June K/game box should not be green. Phillies' should. Tampa Bay's should not. San Fran's, ATL's, San Diego's, Detroit's, and Seattle's June OBP should be green.

Again, thank you for pointing out my numerous errors. This was an incredible amount of information to put together in a few hours time. I probably should have said no when asked to write this.

However, I believe the data can still be fairly helpful. The errors all look to be minor.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kaiser » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:27 pm

Outstanding work! Well done, Jake. This is exceptional. I'm going to be referring back to this for the rest of the season. Up to this point, I've used CBS's "Power Rankings" as my only real barometer of who is at the top and who is at the bottom (I know, I know, but it's about the only thing out there.) This is so much better.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 308)

Postby iltat » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:32 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:
iltat wrote:EDIT2: Minnesota's June K/game box should not be green. Phillies' should. Tampa Bay's should not. San Fran's, ATL's, San Diego's, Detroit's, and Seattle's June OBP should be green.

Again, thank you for pointing out my numerous errors. This was an incredible amount of information to put together in a few hours time. I probably should have said no when asked to write this.

However, I believe the data can still be fairly helpful. The errors all look to be minor.

They're all completely minor. Just trying to be helpful. *shrug*
iltat
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:35 pm

kaiser wrote:Outstanding work! Well done, Jake. This is exceptional. I'm going to be referring back to this for the rest of the season. Up to this point, I've used CBS's "Power Rankings" as my only real barometer of who is at the top and who is at the bottom (I know, I know, but it's about the only thing out there.) This is so much better.

Great, I'm glad to hear it. ;-D

Just be careful none of the errors throw you off. I'd hate to have the fact that I put this together quickly negatively impact someone. Also, I'm fairly sure the shading is the brunt of the errors, all the numbers should be correct.

I'll have to look into updating this in a week or two where I'm sure everything is 100% correct before I submit it.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:38 pm

iltat wrote:They're all completely minor. Just trying to be helpful. *shrug*

Pointing out the errors is without question very helpful. ;-D Both to me (as I update and correct things) and to the people using this data.

I'd rather you post every error you see rather than keep them to yourself.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Article Discussions