Can any Dodger fans make me feel better about Russel Martin? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can any Dodger fans make me feel better about Russel Martin?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Can any Dodger fans make me feel better about Russel Martin?

Postby mobzz » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:47 am

I swore him off after a very frustrating season last year and somehow ended up drafting him again. Do you guys see him making any improvement. I hate to bench such an early pick.
mobzz
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Can any Dodger fans make me feel better about Russel Martin?

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:07 pm

I'm similarly frustrated. Got him in a keeper and somehow by instinct during my auction this year, I knew I had to have Matt Wieters as Russ Martin insurance (glad I did that!). Still, I didn't think Martin would have the same number of major-league homers as I do at this point.

Today I have room to start Martin in my line-up due to a few of my players having off-days, but I'm still planning to bench him because I don't want him to keep killing my batting average. He's got 7 steals so he appears healthy...

This 6/14 article sheds a little light on his slump, it appears it's both mental and mechanical.

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/news/ ... sp&c_id=la
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:00 pm

No, no, I can't. :-b

I believe the slump is more mental than anything from what I've seen. For me, Martin's struggles have drifted by the wayside thanks to my delirious happiness that Matt Kemp is hitting a few spots up the order. B-)

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby foeplay » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:08 pm

Wish they would teach Pierre how to catch. :-/
foeplay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cards07Champs » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:13 pm

Most folks should've seen this coming.

He was falling off pretty bad last season. He made his bones by stealing bases (and catchers that steal bases tend to drop off quickly). He got moved down in the order. His pedigree didn't suggest a true 'professional hitter'.

It was going to create a perfect storm of suck. I dumped him in my keeper league for a draft pick as quickly as I could in the offseason.

Sorry man, I've got nothing but downers for ya.
Cards07Champs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:29 pm

He made his bones by stealing bases (and catchers that steal bases tend to drop off quickly).

Not trying to be devil's advocate just for the hell of it, but is this statement really true? If so, what are some names of catchers who stole bases who dropped off quickly? Kendall and Pudge stole bases for several years each at the catcher position.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Box » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:26 pm

He made the "Rickie Weeks"(never ever ever owning again) list for me this season. I just got fed up with his awful day to day performances and dropped him outright. There's no reason he should be 98% owned in Yahoo Plus leagues.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby californiasunshine » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:02 pm

Box wrote:He made the "Rickie Weeks"(never ever ever owning again) list for me this season. I just got fed up with his awful day to day performances and dropped him outright. There's no reason he should be 98% owned in Yahoo Plus leagues.

Ummm I have R.Martin and haven't even contemplated dropping him.....I guess I forgot how deep the catcher position is :-?
californiasunshine
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:01 am

californiasunshine wrote:
Box wrote:He made the "Rickie Weeks"(never ever ever owning again) list for me this season. I just got fed up with his awful day to day performances and dropped him outright. There's no reason he should be 98% owned in Yahoo Plus leagues.

Ummm I have R.Martin and haven't even contemplated dropping him.....I guess I forgot how deep the catcher position is :-?

Um, it's not R. Martin anymore, it's J. Martin. :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Ender » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:47 am

Catchers are for suckers. They just wear down too quickly and get banged up too often. Sure Martin will likely turn it around some but more importantly learn a lesson here and go for the mid range catchers in the future instead of the top end ones.

I just hope Mauer moves positions because I think with his bad knees he is headed for a bust season in the near future if he stays at the position.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers