Top 25 for '10 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top 25 for '10

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Top 25 for '10

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:49 am

BuckeyeSal wrote: And my last sentence meant that odds are he hits at least 30+ HRs and has 90+ RBI next year if healthy which wouldn't be a bust even if he hit 250. It wouldn't be great but wouldn't be a Jimmy Rollins bust. On the other hand, there's a chance that he hits 280 like he did in year 1 and year 3 and goes 100/100. That to me seems more likely than him having a bust year, which for me would be less than 20HR and less than 90RBI with a bad BA. Do you really disagree?

OK, now you're just arguing what the definition of 'bust' is more than anything else, which I have no desire to waste my time doing.

But hey, if you don't mind 30-90-250 from your second round pick, then I imagine you'll spend a lot of time in the bottom half of your league. To me, those are not good numbers from your 2nd rounder. Thus, bust.

Even if he goes 100/35/100/280, that's not top 10 production. That's Carlos Lee with a whole lot more risk...

Like I mentioned, I wouldn't fault people for buying into the Reynolds hype, and it may very well pay off. He's just far too risky for my taste.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby J35J » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:38 am

I think Adam Jones will be one of the more overrated guys going into next year. He's a .275 hitter with 15-20 hr type of power....probably closer to 15 right now....and his speed is overrated. He's a ground ball hitter who is benefiting from an over 20% HR/FB rate this year. That number will likely drop below 15% next year and if he continues to be a groundball hitter his HR total will be around 15 over a full season.

Of course anything can happen but there isn't anything in his numbers that scream he is a .300/25/100/100/20 type of guy year in and year out and it appears thats what alot of people think he is....though his home park is definately a help to him.

I'll put him down for .275/18/80/80/10 next year and let everyone else pay more if they want him.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby Yoda » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:08 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:Eh, depending on whether or not he keeps it up. If he does, 3rd round. If he gets the "2/3 of a good season" tag with an August/September swoon, he'll be a 5th rounder. Right now it's been 2/3 of a season so I'm basing my value on that.

You are nuts... JUP is a stud and he belongs up there.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BuckeyeSal » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:23 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
BuckeyeSal wrote: And my last sentence meant that odds are he hits at least 30+ HRs and has 90+ RBI next year if healthy which wouldn't be a bust even if he hit 250. It wouldn't be great but wouldn't be a Jimmy Rollins bust. On the other hand, there's a chance that he hits 280 like he did in year 1 and year 3 and goes 100/100. That to me seems more likely than him having a bust year, which for me would be less than 20HR and less than 90RBI with a bad BA. Do you really disagree?

OK, now you're just arguing what the definition of 'bust' is more than anything else, which I have no desire to waste my time doing.

But hey, if you don't mind 30-90-250 from your second round pick, then I imagine you'll spend a lot of time in the bottom half of your league. To me, those are not good numbers from your 2nd rounder. Thus, bust.

Even if he goes 100/35/100/280, that's not top 10 production. That's Carlos Lee with a whole lot more risk...

Like I mentioned, I wouldn't fault people for buying into the Reynolds hype, and it may very well pay off. He's just far too risky for my taste.

Yea, basically saying he doesn't steal a base all year he's Carlos Lee. Dumb.
BuckeyeSal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SignGuy » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:39 pm

Should Bj Upton really be top 25?
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:42 pm

Inukchuk wrote:

He's going to get some steals. He plays third base, which is arguably the thinnest position to draft right now. Not saying I am drafting him in the first or second round next year, but he's probably more valuable than Lee next season because of his position eligibility.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:58 pm

BuckeyeSal wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:

Yea, basically saying he doesn't steal a base all year he's Carlos Lee. Dumb.

And hits for 25-30 points lower in AVG and drives in 10-20 fewer runs... all from your high end projection of him... :-°

Again, I'm simply saying that to me, his reward doesn't weigh favorably against the risk he entails. No need to get all hissy and resort to the personal stuff.

AquaMan2342 wrote:He's going to get some steals. He plays third base, which is arguably the thinnest position to draft right now. Not saying I am drafting him in the first or second round next year, but he's probably more valuable than Lee next season because of his position eligibility.

That's a fair enough argument. Personally, I'd go with the safer pick, but I won't fault that line of thinking. Different draft philosophies.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby BuckeyeSal » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:49 pm

Happy Birthday to Mark Reynolds, he turns 26 today. Has anyone finished in the top 8 of yahoo before the age of 27 and not been drafted in the top 25 on avg. the next year? I know he's a weird case, my whole arguement was that he probably will be drafted by the 25th pick.
BuckeyeSal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thejusman1 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:14 pm

SignGuy wrote:Should Bj Upton really be top 25?

Good point. He had a sizzling June, but slumped hard in July. This, after posting abysmal, .220 level playing in April and May. That's three months of bad, 1 month of good, and two more months of the season to go. We can't chalk this up to his shoulder surgery any longer. I took him with the 43rd overall pick this year, and he's definitely someone I'm avoiding next year unless he falls somewhere near the 70-80th overall pick. (Rd. 7-8).
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Kraftwerk » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:08 pm

Id rather have BJ Upton than Mark Reynolds
Kraftwerk
College Coach
College Coach