Gibbons to LA??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gibbons to LA???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hybrid » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:30 pm

i really don't see the dodgers trading jackson, they feel he has more upside then anyone on the staff right now. They are looking to trade Perez or most likely Ishii. and honestly if he moved to L.A. i just think it would affect his hr totals slightly, he wasn't in a good line up last year and he produced. and i don't see how roberts, loduca, green, beltre, and encarcion would be a down grade.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:56 pm

John Bonzo wrote:I think it would be pretty bad. In Baltimore, he is looking at being in a great lineup and a good hitters park. In LA, it would be a terrible lineup and a terrible hitters park. Off the top of my head, I would cut his HR and RBI projections by 33%.

It's not a great hitter's park.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby jbuk » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:59 pm

From a purely selfish point of view, I'd hate him to go to LA, I'm was counting on him having a good year for my teams.

Good move for LA though if it happens, though they'll need a lot more of them.
jbuk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:16 pm

Baltimore needs pitching badly, so it would be a good move for them.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:20 pm

"The Orioles have made it known since December that Jay Gibbons is available for the right trade, according to the Washington Post. They might have a match in the Dodgers, who could trade a starting pitcher for Gibbons. The Dodgers have targeted Larry Bigbie instead, however, offering up Odalis Perez or Kazuhisa Ishii in return."

Typical Dodgers. Going after the inferior player.....

I'd trade Ishii for either one if I were the Dodgers.

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:30 pm

Anonymous wrote:Baltimore needs pitching badly, so it would be a good move for them.

No, they don't. Yes, the Oriole's pitching staff does not have a lot of "veteran presence" and has its weaknesses. But regardless of what they do, the Orioles have no hope of contending this year, so they should really just focus on learning what they can about their young players and identifying a core for the future.

And, in the longer term....

The Orioles have outstanding pitching prospects on the roster and in the minors, including Ainsworth, Riley, John Maine, Adam Loewen, and John Stephens, as a start. On the other hand, they have almost NO hitting prospects.

Trading Gibbons addresses a short-term problem by taking away part of their long-term solution. It's a stupid, short-sighted move that they ought to avoid.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby grammysboy » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:08 am

Anonymous wrote:"The Orioles have made it known since December that Jay Gibbons is available for the right trade, according to the Washington Post. They might have a match in the Dodgers, who could trade a starting pitcher for Gibbons. The Dodgers have targeted Larry Bigbie instead, however, offering up Odalis Perez or Kazuhisa Ishii in return."

Typical Dodgers. Going after the inferior player.....

I'd trade Ishii for either one if I were the Dodgers.

Agreed on both points ;-D
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The_Idiot » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:44 pm

[/quote]
sure he's a fan favorite, but I didnt go to the Yard 12 times last year to see Gibby. Right now, I think it would be a good move for the team because they could always bring up Raines to play CF and move Matos to RF because i sure as ehll hope they dont put cordova out there (he may be on the DL tho.) Honestly, I think the only deal we would do would be for Jackson. Perez is shaky and Im not a big fan of his game, although my opinion has no bearing on the situation! Gibbons and maybe a guy like Ryan Hannaman for Jackson and another minor leaguer would be pretty fair considering the teams involved.[/quote]

Who then will take over for Palmeiro at 1B next year?
Go OoooooOOOOoooooo'ssssss
Here we Go Steelers!!!
The_Idiot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:15 pm

LA wouldn't trrade jackson for Magglio, why would they trade him for Jay Gibbons. He's a solid ballplayer, but C'mon.

Postby KULCAT » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:19 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Baltimore needs pitching badly, so it would be a good move for them.

No, they don't. Yes, the Oriole's pitching staff does not have a lot of "veteran presence" and has its weaknesses. But regardless of what they do, the Orioles have no hope of contending this year, so they should really just focus on learning what they can about their young players and identifying a core for the future.

And, in the longer term....

The Orioles have outstanding pitching prospects on the roster and in the minors, including Ainsworth, Riley, John Maine, Adam Loewen, and John Stephens, as a start. On the other hand, they have almost NO hitting prospects.

Trading Gibbons addresses a short-term problem by taking away part of their long-term solution. It's a stupid, short-sighted move that they ought to avoid.

You know i dissagree. The fact is after spending all that money Baltimore feels it should at least be neck to neck with Toronto who has much better pitching than them. And who knows maybe they won sign Gibbons cause theyre looking to sign another top bat from next year´s gree agent class wich includes Carlos Delgado and Garret anderson.
Secondly Odalis perez is one year removed from being really dominant, i dont know why people are so down on him. He´´s not top of the line but he´d make a great number 3
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers