Gibbons to LA??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gibbons to LA???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gibbons to LA???

Postby Dans » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:15 pm

How badly will a move to LA hurt Gibbons?
Dans
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby John Bonzo » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:25 pm

I think it would be pretty bad. In Baltimore, he is looking at being in a great lineup and a good hitters park. In LA, it would be a terrible lineup and a terrible hitters park. Off the top of my head, I would cut his HR and RBI projections by 33%.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The_Idiot » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:31 pm

I don't see it happening. Gibbons is a fan favorite here in B'more. Surely management can not be dumb enough to trade off the team's most popular player. They have a hard enough time getting people in the Yard.

As for how it would affect him (a move to LA), I think it wouldn't be as bad as 1st thought. (Other than the lack of protection around him, yet it didn't hurt him lat year as an Orioles). Gibbons is a line drive (power) hitter. I don't see his extra base hits dipping much. Maybe his HRs a little.
Go OoooooOOOOoooooo'ssssss
Here we Go Steelers!!!
The_Idiot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Postby grammysboy » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:58 pm

Did someone hint that this might happen or is it just wishful thinking on the part of some LA fans? Obviously it would be a prize accquisition for the Dodgers, giving them some desparately needed pop in their line up.

From Gibbons point of view, it could be devastating. The worst hitters park in MLB, and no help in the batting order. His 100 RBI drops 25-30% and HRs fall dramatically too.

He's on my keeper list so SAY IT AINT SO! 8-o 8-o
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dans » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:41 pm

I saw it on Rototimes.com it says-

"The Orioles have made it known that would trade Jay Gibbons for the right deal and it's believed that the Dodgers would be willing to part with a starting pitcher to land him, according to the Washington Post."

I agree it would hurt him, but he would probably bat 3rd or 4th in LA as oposed to 6th in Baltimore so he may have some good RBI opportunities.
Dans
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby djacks » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:05 pm

I agree it would affect his HR totals a little bit, but I think he'd still be a good source for RBI...hitting in the middle of the order with LoDuca and Shawn Green around him...could be worse...
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Gibbons to LA???

Postby canibus » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:07 pm

Dans wrote:How badly will a move to LA hurt Gibbons?

Damn it, stop spreading rumors :-o

I like my Gibby just where he is!
canibus Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pedantic » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:25 pm

Oh dear God, stop the pain. Oh, well, at least it's not Maggs. :-)
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Chopper » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:11 pm

More news (read 'rumors') from the LA perspective:

Mar 14, 2004 NEWS: The Dodgers still want to trade a pitcher for a hitter, and they're believed to have interest in Gibbons, according to the Los Angeles Times. VIEW: But the Orioles would be unlikely to trade Gibbons, a player three years away from free agency, for Odalis Perez, a free agent at the end of the season, unless they also received a young pitcher like Class AAA RHP Joel Hanrahan in return. When asked if he liked Perez, an Orioles official said yes, but added, "I like Edwin Jackson better." (Ken Rosenthal/TSN)
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Chopper
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby justinA » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:19 pm

The_Idiot wrote:I don't see it happening. Gibbons is a fan favorite here in B'more. Surely management can not be dumb enough to trade off the team's most popular player. They have a hard enough time getting people in the Yard.

As for how it would affect him (a move to LA), I think it wouldn't be as bad as 1st thought. (Other than the lack of protection around him, yet it didn't hurt him lat year as an Orioles). Gibbons is a line drive (power) hitter. I don't see his extra base hits dipping much. Maybe his HRs a little.

sure he's a fan favorite, but I didnt go to the Yard 12 times last year to see Gibby. Right now, I think it would be a good move for the team because they could always bring up Raines to play CF and move Matos to RF because i sure as ehll hope they dont put cordova out there (he may be on the DL tho.) Honestly, I think the only deal we would do would be for Jackson. Perez is shaky and Im not a big fan of his game, although my opinion has no bearing on the situation! Gibbons and maybe a guy like Ryan Hannaman for Jackson and another minor leaguer would be pretty fair considering the teams involved.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers