Slammin' Sammy Busted! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Slammin' Sammy Busted!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Slammin' Sammy Busted!

Postby Tenacious D-Store » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:58 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4264062

No, don't misunderstand. Those were his practice steroids. He never intended to use them in a real game. It was just a mix up and he's sorry.

This d-bag's been cheating since day 1. Since his career is over, I don't think a ban is appropriate. I would support execution in this case.
Tenacious D-Store
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Slammin' Sammy Busted!

Postby wildbill » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:47 pm

Who cares? I mean seriously. It was the steroid era, lots of players used them. So what? They weren't banned at the time. How is this different then other eras in baseball like the dead ball era? They've all produced stat anomalies. What about old time players that used to play in cavernous ballparks that made Petco look like Coors Field? Furthermore if steroids made that big of an impact compared to a player not taking them there would have been a lot more 60+ HR in a season hitters during the steroid era. Bud Selig and his cronies can point the finger all they want but the buck stops at the commissioners desk and he figuratively dropped the ball and has only himself to blame for not being proactive about steroids at the time.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Skimo77 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:30 pm

i disagree.. if you're a historian of the game, and respect the past i believe it is a big deal. Having these guys getting caught for having a man made substance to enhance your preformance is much different than the dead ball era or the huge parks back in the day.. this is a player diliberately cheating in a moral way his sports greats from the past. I'm glad the truth is coming out about these guys... in no way will we ever know everyone who did steroids, but the guys who cheated history like Bonds and Sosa in particular will forever be overshadowed by their role in the steroids era. its not fair to the history of the game if they dont get uncovered.
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 33)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:09 pm

Skimo77 wrote:i disagree.. if you're a historian of the game, and respect the past i believe it is a big deal. Having these guys getting caught for having a man made substance to enhance your preformance is much different than the dead ball era or the huge parks back in the day.. this is a player diliberately cheating in a moral way his sports greats from the past. I'm glad the truth is coming out about these guys... in no way will we ever know everyone who did steroids, but the guys who cheated history like Bonds and Sosa in particular will forever be overshadowed by their role in the steroids era. its not fair to the history of the game if they dont get uncovered.

Wouldn't a spitball be considered cheating too then? What about stealing signs? ANd whats the line where drugs become illegal/legal. Is it US law? Is it what the individual player feels is morally correct? what about greenies then? TOo many questions, therefore I choose not to care about the steroids era....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Skimo77 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:27 pm

i think when you put chemicals in your body which are not natural in nature, that enhance your preformance while hurting your health... spit balls and biting seams is completely different... greenies thats a toughy, but its my belief that guys like mickey mantle, babe ruth, lou gehrig, hank aaron and so on did what they did naturally , and to have guys like bonds and sosa in the same page as them gives those great players no respect, nor the history of the game. But thats only my opinion, i respect yours... but thats how i feel.
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chargerss24 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:22 am

Tell me someone who hasn't used something. That would be more news-worthy. :-[
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 63)

Postby wildbill » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:55 am

Skimo77 wrote:i think when you put chemicals in your body which are not natural in nature, that enhance your preformance while hurting your health... spit balls and biting seams is completely different... greenies thats a toughy, but its my belief that guys like mickey mantle, babe ruth, lou gehrig, hank aaron and so on did what they did naturally , and to have guys like bonds and sosa in the same page as them gives those great players no respect, nor the history of the game. But thats only my opinion, i respect yours... but thats how i feel.

So now you want to say some forms of cheating are ok but others aren't? You can't have it both ways dude. Either you accept it was just the thing to do in an era or you consider all era's in baseball tainted by one thing or another. Gaylord Perry is a famous cheater and he even joked about it int he old timers games they used to have at the allstar break and he's in the hall of fame. Ty Cobb, one of the best players in history, was famous for playing dirty and he's in the hall of fame too. Like I said you can't have it both ways. You have to either condemn them all or accept that every era had its form of cheating and was just part of the game.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LostInTheBoom » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:30 pm

Whoever's in charge of slowly leaking the names from that 2003 list dropped the ball with this one. WE ALL knew that Sosa was juicing...it was pretty obvious. Could you think of a less shocking name to release? Because I can't...
LostInTheBoom
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Skimo77 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:25 pm

yea i totally agree... someone has the list of names, no matter how much i despise sammy sosa and arod, its not fair to single them out when there were over a hundred others on it too... they should release the entire list.
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LostInTheBoom » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:32 pm

Skimo77 wrote:yea i totally agree... someone has the list of names, no matter how much i despise sammy sosa and arod, its not fair to single them out when there were over a hundred others on it too... they should release the entire list.

They will eventually...but there's a lot of money to be made for "anonymous sources" leaking one major name at a time...it's kind of disgusting from where I'm standing...
LostInTheBoom
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates