Sosa Tested Positive; Save the Women & Children! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sosa Tested Positive; Save the Women & Children!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Sosa Tested Positive; Save the Women & Children!

Postby Noggy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:44 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I'm sure the other 102 guys on that list don't feel this way, especially considering they were tested for purposes of creating the current policies in place, and told their names would never be made public under any circumstance.

No pity for those guys. They wouldn't have to worry about leaked test results if they were clean.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:10 am

Noggy wrote:No pity for those guys. They wouldn't have to worry about leaked test results if they were clean.

So there's no chance the test falsely gave them a positive reading? One that they'll be completely unable to protest now 6 years later?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Noggy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:43 am

JTWood wrote:
Noggy wrote:No pity for those guys. They wouldn't have to worry about leaked test results if they were clean.

So there's no chance the test falsely gave them a positive reading? One that they'll be completely unable to protest now 6 years later?

Then why test them at all if you want to play the false positive card? It's always possible even with the tests from this year.

I've seen players blame their doctors and blame the companies that make over the counter drugs for failing a test, but exactly which baseball player has cried false positive and stuck with that story for more than a day or two?
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby knapplc » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:37 am

Noggy wrote:
JTWood wrote:

Then why test them at all if you want to play the false positive card? It's always possible even with the tests from this year.

I've seen players blame their doctors and blame the companies that make over the counter drugs for failing a test, but exactly which baseball player has cried false positive and stuck with that story for more than a day or two?

True, but these tests have a margin of error for a reason. It's impossible to have 100% accuracy. Someone somewhere will test a false positive. I don’t think anyone here thinks Sosa’s positive was false, but let’s face it, the possibility exists. Woodie is simply making a point, not trying to provide a defense for any of these players.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:46 am

Noggy wrote:
JTWood wrote:

Then why test them at all if you want to play the false positive card?

Yes, but within a certain time frame, you can retest; validate the results.

Sort of hard to retest someone 6 years later...
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby da bears » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:59 am

Has anything happened to anyone leaking this information? That's what annoys me the most, it's highly illegal and the players put the trust in MLB to be able to keep this information secure and now someone is probably trying to make a couple of dollars with this information.

Do roids actually make you see a ball better in any way shape or form? I'm one of those people who don't care what so ever that guys were on juice, I could take roids for the next 10 years and I'd still never be able to take a MLB pitcher deep.
da bears
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:09 am

da bears wrote:Has anything happened to anyone leaking this information? That's what annoys me the most, it's highly illegal and the players put the trust in MLB to be able to keep this information secure and now someone is probably trying to make a couple of dollars with this information.

We'll never know who leaked this information. It will always be kept confidential by the papers.

Leaking that information isn't illegal. It is "merely" a violation of a confidentiality agreement those lawyers/doctors had to sign before gaining access to that information. If outed, the source(s) of the leak would never go to jail. They would lose their job and almost assuredly get sued back to the Stone Age, but they would never go to jail.

I tell you the aspect of this that I'm the most interested in. MLB was contractually obligated to destroy those samples and did not. I will be very interested to see how the players or Union act on that. Honestly, I'm surprised they haven't already filed a suit over it.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Noggy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:00 am

knapplc wrote:True, but these tests have a margin of error for a reason. It's impossible to have 100% accuracy. Someone somewhere will test a false positive. I don’t think anyone here thinks Sosa’s positive was false, but let’s face it, the possibility exists. Woodie is simply making a point, not trying to provide a defense for any of these players.

Oh, I understand both of your points. I'm just saying it's much more likely an "innocent" player ended up on this list because he wasn't paying close enough attention to what he was putting in his body, which is his own fault. A false positive is possible, but much more unlikely scenario.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:11 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
da bears wrote:Has anything happened to anyone leaking this information? That's what annoys me the most, it's highly illegal and the players put the trust in MLB to be able to keep this information secure and now someone is probably trying to make a couple of dollars with this information.

We'll never know who leaked this information. It will always be kept confidential by the papers.

Leaking that information isn't illegal. It is "merely" a violation of a confidentiality agreement those lawyers/doctors had to sign before gaining access to that information. If outed, the source(s) of the leak would never go to jail. They would lose their job and almost assuredly get sued back to the Stone Age, but they would never go to jail.

I tell you the aspect of this that I'm the most interested in. MLB was contractually obligated to destroy those samples and did not. I will be very interested to see how the players or Union act on that. Honestly, I'm surprised they haven't already filed a suit over it.

From what I've been hearing and reading, the most likely source of the leaks seems to be the Justice Department. I don't understand why more people aren't more upset over the leaks. I thought the same thing with the Barry Bonds/Balco stuff: people didn't seem to care that Grand Jury testimony was being leaked to the press (something that could have a huge impact on court system in this country, and potentially affect everyone), they were more concerened that athletes may not have been completely honest about their use of performance enhancers. Seems like mixed up priorities to me.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:29 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

From what I've been hearing and reading, the most likely source of the leaks seems to be the Justice Department. I don't understand why more people aren't more upset over the leaks. I thought the same thing with the Barry Bonds/Balco stuff: people didn't seem to care that Grand Jury testimony was being leaked to the press (something that could have a huge impact on court system in this country, and potentially affect everyone), they were more concerened that athletes may not have been completely honest about their use of performance enhancers. Seems like mixed up priorities to me.

Am I allowed to agree with you... again? X-I
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers