David Wright - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

David Wright

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

David Wright

Postby dubstar » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:11 pm

I have been loving his average, XBH's and SB's this year. But will his power come around? or do you all think that the stadium really is going to limit his HR's that much throughout the year?
dubstar
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: David Wright

Postby heyeaglefn » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:36 pm

dubstar wrote:I have been loving his average, XBH's and SB's this year. But will his power come around? or do you all think that the stadium really is going to limit his HR's that much throughout the year?

There is a good article on ESPN about Wright and how owners are complaining because they are not getting the stats they thought they would with him.

If he bats .340 and steals 40 bases it will be hard to complain, but when people drafted him expecting 30+ homers it can screw up the balance of your team.

I do not think his power will return like we thought it would be this year, I see maybe 20 HRs this year and it is not only because of the Ball Park. He has hit 3 of his 4 HRs at home this year.
heyeaglefn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thejusman1 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:15 pm

Agree with the previous poster. It's not like Wright's been killing my team - in fact, the excellent average has been doing wonders lifting up my overall low team average. But I, like many other owners, expected 30+ homers out of that 3B spot, and having a SB-heavy man at that position is like carrying Chone Figgins. Of course, the drafting of my team also reflected Wright's pre-season expectations for power, leading me to add a bunch of 20+/10-15 guys when now I realize I could've done far better selecting 30+/1-5 guys. Needless to say, Wright's doing great but his contributions in the wrong categories have really had me desperately short in the power department and over-abundant in steals.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DTMan » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:22 am

I'm a Mets fan and a Wright fan and owner and I think he's an excellent ballplayer but maybe less of a power hitting ballplayer than we thought he was. I read an article that said his swing seems to be adjusted to create more doubles, less homers. I could see that. I think he'll cut down on the Ks and I'm sure at some point he'll go on a power streak, and I love the SBs, so...I like him the rest of the way.
DTMan
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:17 pm

Things will start to normalize to a certain extent. He is striking out way too much to have an average as high as it is. The K's will come down, but so will the average. I do believe he will have an off year power wise, but I still expect close to 20 when it is all said and done.

I think he still will be a very valuable player, but with a slightly different skill set. Instead of a 33/15 year like he had last year, it will be the reverse.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby pangbones » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:04 am

He is punching out waaaaaay too much. I know his babip is way high as well. If he does end up with 20 HR's, then his pace for the rest of the year would be just as we expected. For H2H leauges that's good. For Roto leagues that's still good, but it doesn't make up for the lack of HR's so far. You'll just have to make that up somewhere else. I do agree that the avg will come down, and I also think he's due for a monster stretch where we all forget about having this conversation. He'll get hot and go on a HR binge.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby hscsoph » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:06 pm

Wright's power numbers falling are no surprise to a co-worker of mine who played AAU ball with him. He gave me insight as to why his power numbers have fallen so much. That's all I am going to say as I am not going to throw around any accusations. I own David Wright and hope he starts blasting balls out again, I have no idea why the kid is striking out so much, I guess these kids from Chesapeake like J Upton and Wright can maintain a .300+ BA with a high K rate
Montero MigCab Beckham Andrus Sandoval Lind J Upton Ellsbury Braun Markakis Willingham B Roberts B Anderson Ubaldo "no hit" Jimenez Nolasco F Cordero Rodney Morales Baker Matusz Lilly Marcum Scherzer Romero Porcello
hscsoph
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WakaJawaka » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:01 pm

Wright or Longoria for the rest of the season?
WakaJawaka
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby broomulack » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:29 am

There's no real explanation for his lack of power on the road, but I watch the Mets regularly and the guy has hit a half dozen balls off of the right-center field fence that would have been out in Shea or most other ballparks. It's like 400 feet in the alley there - he'd have over 10 hr easily by now. Still short of what was expected but one hot streak away from expectations.

Citi-Field is a horror show for power.
broomulack
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:55 am

i heard pitchers are pounding inside on him and he's unable to produce power there. he like the ball away and has a hard time hitting inside pitches.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates