Intriguing Low End Pitchers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Intriguing Low End Pitchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Intriguing Low End Pitchers

Postby rotoquest » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:09 am

At this time of year because of all the DL's and poor performances owners are always beating the bushes for SP help. Though for some reason I would like to have a pitcher on my team named Bastardo, from the list below, De LaRosa catches my eye because of his strike out ability, and if you take away those 2 bad starts he actually looks pretty good(see below) with wins being his only bad stat. However, colorado is starting to play better so that stat could improve.

60.7 IP 2 WINS 3.56 ERA 1.25 WHIP 65 K

* Feldman, Scott SP TEX
* Zimmermann, Jordan SP WAS
* Morrow, Brandon SP SEA
* Cook, Aaron SP COL
* Hughes, Phil SP NYY
* Garland, Jon SP ARI
* Richmond, Scott SP TOR
* Niemann, Jeff SP TB
* Sonnanstine, Andy SP TB
* Romero, Ricky SP TOR
* Sanchez, Jonathan O. SP SF
* DeLaRosa, Jorge SP COL
* Bastardo, Antonio SP PHI
* Palmer, Matt SP ANA
* Parra, Manny SP MIL
* West, Sean SP FLA
* Contreras, Jose A. SP CHW
* Wellemeyer, Todd SP STL

Can anyone else add to this list or contribute analysis of any players above?
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Intriguing Low End Pitchers

Postby neoforce » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:30 am

One to consider that wasn't on your list.

Fernando Nieve NYM. Not for mixed leagues, but I'm in two deep NL only leagues and have him in both. I've been following him for a while, so it is NOT just because of the Yankee game last week. (As a Yankee fan and a Nieve follower, that was a tough game.)

Being in deep leagues, I always have to troll for starters, and love looking for post hype type of guys. Nieve was considered a good prospect, but I think was mishandled by the Astros. Then he had TJ surgery and this year the Astros gave up on him too soon and tried to send him down during the middle of spring training.

The Mets picked him up, held him to the end of spring training when they were able to sneak him through waivers and then he was stretching out to be a starter.

He came up to the Mets as a RP because Putz went down, but is in the rotation now because of Maine on the DL.

He is certainly not a sure thing. Like so many, you worry about his control. And is stuff probably projects as more suited for the pen. But if he develops I think his ceiling could be as high as a #2 MLB starter.

For now, he has a spot in a rotation where if he performs well he could stick. And he pitches games in a pitchers park, and the Mets, while very shaky, are still winners.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jackie hayes » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:38 am

You mean helping now, not speculative, right? Because if we're talking the rest of the year, I think Buchholz is a better bet than many of those guys.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 63)

Postby Montana168 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:53 pm

2 low-end pitchers that i think are must pickups for this week are ricky romero and dallas braden, they are both 2 start pitchers this week (so if you dont own them today in a yahoo league, you can still get them for the weekend). romero should probably be benched tonight against the phils in citizens bank park, but he's got the Nats over the weekend and has a nice 3.66 ERA on the road in 3 starts. He started off the year great but had a short DL stint, as soon as he got off the DL he had 2 rough starts but pieced it together against texas in arlington for his 3rd start back, only giving up 1 run over 6.1 innings.

braden is my biggest sleeper this week, i picked him and romero up this week to attempt to replace peavy in my dynasty league. braden has the dodgers tonight AT dodger stadium then has the padres in petco over the weekend. both are the best pitcher's parks in baseball. braden has also flown under the radar this year with a 3.33 season ERA but the K's seem to turn people off a bit (54 in 81 innings).

couple other pitchers i have picked up or monitoring are:
hiroki kuroda
trevor cahill (available in almost every league except dynasty's and his season ERA is heavily scewed by 2 starts where he gave up 7 runs each, but if you take those 2 starts out he has a low 3.00 ERA)
manny parra (has been horrible and sent down to AAA but he should be monitored closely but stays on the waiver wire until he makes a quality start in the majors)
vin mazzaro (brilliant in 3 starts so far but small sample size and faced week offenses in SF, BALT, and CHW)
chris tillman (i know he's a prospect but he is lights out in AAA and when he gets the call he will be picked up in every league)
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rotoquest » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:00 pm

Montana168 wrote:2 low-end pitchers that i think are must pickups for this week are ricky romero and dallas braden, they are both 2 start pitchers this week (so if you dont own them today in a yahoo league, you can still get them for the weekend). romero should probably be benched tonight against the phils in citizens bank park, but he's got the Nats over the weekend and has a nice 3.66 ERA on the road in 3 starts. He started off the year great but had a short DL stint, as soon as he got off the DL he had 2 rough starts but pieced it together against texas in arlington for his 3rd start back, only giving up 1 run over 6.1 innings.

braden is my biggest sleeper this week, i picked him and romero up this week to attempt to replace peavy in my dynasty league. braden has the dodgers tonight AT dodger stadium then has the padres in petco over the weekend. both are the best pitcher's parks in baseball. braden has also flown under the radar this year with a 3.33 season ERA but the K's seem to turn people off a bit (54 in 81 innings).

couple other pitchers i have picked up or monitoring are:
hiroki kuroda
trevor cahill (available in almost every league except dynasty's and his season ERA is heavily scewed by 2 starts where he gave up 7 runs each, but if you take those 2 starts out he has a low 3.00 ERA)
manny parra (has been horrible and sent down to AAA but he should be monitored closely but stays on the waiver wire until he makes a quality start in the majors)
vin mazzaro (brilliant in 3 starts so far but small sample size and faced week offenses in SF, BALT, and CHW)
chris tillman (i know he's a prospect but he is lights out in AAA and when he gets the call he will be picked up in every league)

I agree with your points on romero & braden and I like kuroda to break out as well. I also would watch how mazzaro does against a more potent offense. Good tip on tillman. Thanks for contributing.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)

Return to Baseball Leftovers