Which future 1B do you like better and why? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Which future 1B do you like better and why?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which future 1B do you like better and why?

Postby nate128 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:27 am

Mike Carp of the Seattle Mariners, Brandon Snyder of the Baltimore Orioles, or Brandon Allen of the Chicago White Sox?
nate128
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which future 1B do you like better and why?

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:25 pm

nate128 wrote:Mike Carp of the Seattle Mariners, Brandon Snyder of the Baltimore Orioles, or Brandon Allen of the Chicago White Sox?

Snyder. Carp has already had MLB time and proved that while he might be MLB worthy, his role might not be that of a full-time player. Also, I'm not even sure Allen will be a 1B with his K tendencies but maybe a DH if Chris Carter isn't liked there. IMO, Viciedo is the White Sox future 1B.

So, I'd pick Synder as the Orioles have been trying to get production form his since he was high former 1st round pick and has been very good. I don't think Snyder is going to put up huge power numbers but I could see him in the Lyle OVerbay or Casey Kotchman type mold. Snyder is the safer pick.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 115)

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:26 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
nate128 wrote:Mike Carp of the Seattle Mariners, Brandon Snyder of the Baltimore Orioles, or Brandon Allen of the Chicago White Sox?

Snyder. Carp has already had MLB time and proved that while he might be MLB worthy, his role might not be that of a full-time player. Also, I'm not even sure Allen will be a 1B with his K tendencies but maybe a DH if Chris Carter isn't liked there. IMO, Viciedo is the White Sox future 1B.

So, I'd pick Synder as the Orioles have been trying to get production form his since he was high former 1st round pick and has been very good. I don't think Snyder is going to put up huge power numbers but I could see him in the Lyle OVerbay or Casey Kotchman type mold. Snyder is the safer pick.

I think both Carp and Snyder look to be in the Overbay mold. I think I'd take Carp by a hair because of Snyder's Ks and the K:BB ratios, but it's pretty close to a toss-up. I also think Carp will be the 1B or DH as soon as next year, and he's the type of bat that will fit in very well at Safeco.

But since when does Carp have MLB time? He's spent all of this year in AAA and had never been higher than AA before the season. :-?
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby kab21 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:01 pm

I think Snyder is the guy to grab if you want some upside. BA mentions that he's had problems staying healthy which partly explains his poor production before '08. I like Allen more than Carp and there is plenty of room for him to play in Chicago (they don't have a long-term DH or 1B). Carp just strikes me as a guy that doesn't carry any fantasy value except as an emergency 1B in a 20+ team league (10+ HR's and 0 SB's = not usable). To a certain extent all of these guys do so I would go with the higher upside guy in Snyder (and Allen isn't far behind him). Just my 2 cents.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 173)

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:56 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

I think both Carp and Snyder look to be in the Overbay mold. I think I'd take Carp by a hair because of Snyder's Ks and the K:BB ratios, but it's pretty close to a toss-up. I also think Carp will be the 1B or DH as soon as next year, and he's the type of bat that will fit in very well at Safeco.

But since when does Carp have MLB time? He's spent all of this year in AAA and had never been higher than AA before the season. :-?

Sorry, you're right. I could have sworn he spent a brief time on the Mets but I guess he didn't. Still, I don't think he has much upside and Snyder has more imo.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 115)

Postby nate128 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:39 am

I actually like Allen the most out of all of them. He has big power potential and has really been improving on his bb and k % (which now appear very normal for a power hitter). He also has a nice power frame, and would be playing in a HR park. He also has speed that could get him double digit steals annually. I really see him as the future at 1B/DH for the White Sox, and having more talent than Carp and Snyder.
nate128
College Coach
College Coach

Postby FouLLine » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:28 pm

This is a good question as both of these guys are relatively close.

I have to go with Snyder though. As he is a full class younger (really only 6 months younger though). He also will hit in a better park and has far less blockage to get into the majors. Branyan is playing great at 1B for SEA so there is no reason for them to bring Carp up unless they free up that space.
FouLLine
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby nate128 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:40 am

They just brought Carp up.... lol

BTW Allen is better than both of them.
nate128
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Minor League & College Baseball