Why not get rid of the Minor Leagues?!? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why not get rid of the Minor Leagues?!?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why not get rid of the Minor Leagues?!?

Postby rib217 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:58 pm

obviously college baseball has issues; thats the point of the thread though; the talent isnt there because they are all in the minor leagues; get rid of aluminum bats if you combine them and the talent obviously goes up when everyone is being fed into one pool. Maybe make a rule that you have to stick in the Minors say two years before you can move up;

i would almost think it would increase if all those players are all trying to get onto either one MLB AAA team or a college team rather than a couple hundred minor league teams.

i can see the development idea being important but i'm wondering in the last several years how many rookies have made their debut past 25 or so? 4 yrs of college ball would put you at 22 23, drafted into one MLB AAA team spend a year there and your 24, i don't see how eliminating Minor leagues all of a sudden makes everyone that much younger breaking into the big league.

It works for the other two big sports, my question is why is MLB so different? how old is Felix, Upton's, Longoria, Hughes, Soto, Braun, Weiters, Reimold, Lincecum, etc. They are all breaking into the bigs in their early to mid 20's.
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:20 pm

I think you have this backwards, the NFL needs to create some sort of feeder league. It is just pathetic that every year guys walk off the street to fill in for injured guys because there is no viable backup system in place.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby thedude » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:24 pm

There are so many problems with idea it would take me pages to pick them all apart: 1. It ignores that international players are not going to be scouted and brought in by colleges, who don't have the money. Those kids are signed at 16 by MLB teams and take years to devolp, 2. 99% percent of evencollege players take years to be ready to play everyday, they would rot on MLB benches and never reach their full potential. See wily mo pena. 3. Players who might not get drafted if the draft was shortened can become all stars after turning pro. See mike piazza, pujols, Ect... 4. Where would players rehab?
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby auclairkeithbc » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:50 pm

also, people like going to minor league games. there isn't a major league club close to everybody, and major league games are expensive for families.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers