Roto free redraft leagues... doomed to suffer after ASB? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roto free redraft leagues... doomed to suffer after ASB?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Roto free redraft leagues... doomed to suffer after ASB?

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:32 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:I think making the last place team pay double is good incentive in a pay league to keep those bottom guys competing.

that's an interesting idea, but how would that be enforced? once season is over, he can just disappear and not pay.

if you play with people you know, you can make it so the last place or the last couple places are not invited back and replaced.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swyck » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:02 pm

horatio wrote:Free leagues (i.e. no cash prizes for the winner, or even top 3 or 4 teams) are a complete waste of time, in my humble opinion.

"Woooo Hoooo, I won my fantasy baseball league!!"

"Oh really!! What did you win?"

"Uhhh, nothing"

"Well congratulations on your didn't win $h!# victory".

:-P %-6

As I said before, I'm not impressed in the least by money league players, their attitudes, their skills, or their opinion on anything. :-t
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby auclairkeithbc » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:11 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
auclairkeithbc wrote:I think making the last place team pay double is good incentive in a pay league to keep those bottom guys competing.

that's an interesting idea, but how would that be enforced? once season is over, he can just disappear and not pay.

if you play with people you know, you can make it so the last place or the last couple places are not invited back and replaced.

well, in any money league, you have to trust your leaguemates, right? i think not inviting someone back is pretty rough.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:17 pm

actually i've seen people do this a lot when they got other people wanting to partake in the league. if you want to be invited back, just make sure you're not last place. it's not that hard since last place is usually a deadbeat team. if you can't beat a deadbeat team, i don't know if you should play fantasy. :-D
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby JMB05 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:35 pm

Playing for more money. When you have $50 bucks into it, you could walk away pretty easily IMO, but once you have a few hundred in you stay in it for the long haul.

But there is an answer that does not involve money, we do it every year and it works pretty well.

We have as H2H portion as well. At the start of the season the commissioner hands out sheets to each team with a weekly H2H schedule. We play a 10 team 5 x 5 roto so you can conceivably get 10 points per week (1 point per category) versus the team you are schedules against. At the end of the week we count up who won which stat and divide the points up. The Season is setup so the half way point is at the end of next week which leaves time for the playoffs. The league is usually divided into two divisions and the winner of each Half goes to playoffs, and there is one wild card team from the first and second half, so 6 teams total.

This might sound complicated but oddly enough every year the teams at the bottom somehow end up being the wild card, keeps them interested and the league competitive.

The winner of the H2H also gets half the pot. So who ever has the hottest last month can win both (only happened once but they got a few thousand).
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers