Roto free redraft leagues... doomed to suffer after ASB? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roto free redraft leagues... doomed to suffer after ASB?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roto free redraft leagues... doomed to suffer after ASB?

Postby Bwanna » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:03 pm

I love roto, but I'm not sure I'll ever be in another that's a free redraft (I'm in one this year), because there's simply no way to keep teams in the lower division interested.

Is there anyway to keep weaker teams interested in playing thru the season in such a format?
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 257)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Roto free redraft leagues... doomed to suffer after ASB?

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:19 pm

i don't think so. even in my money leagues (i haven't played free leagues in years), teams give up way before the all star break.

i don't really get teams that quit this early, even though it seems they have no chance. i've been down in the bottom of the standings before as late as late august only to fly by those dead teams and take 1st place.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby swyck » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:30 pm

Bwanna wrote:I love roto, but I'm not sure I'll ever be in another that's a free redraft (I'm in one this year), because there's simply no way to keep teams in the lower division interested.

Is there anyway to keep weaker teams interested in playing thru the season in such a format?

Play with people that don't like finishing in last is one way, but its work to determine that ahead of time.

I normally check out the managers in the league and look at their profiles. Finishing in last is one thing, someone has to be last. Doing so and making no moves trying to get out of there is another, and is a good indicator of a quitter. There's usually a couple no matter what, but you can limit the impact of quitters by not playing in leagues with too many of them.

Of course they could have made all the moves in the first half and then given up, but that's why you look at their overall profile. Not too hard really to find players or avoid leagues that aren't very competitive.

As for free redrafts, besides one keeper, that's all I play in. I'm not very impressed with "money" guys or their attitudes around here and seriously doubt those leagues are "better" or more competitive. :^
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:34 pm

I don't think there's anything that can be done. It's incredibly difficult to come back in roto leagues if you're in the bottom third after the ASB. Of course it's possible, but it takes a lot of work and the progress is slow. And if trades are difficult to come by in the league, it just makes things that much more difficult.

Even though roto is the superior format, I usually stay away from it unless there some money on the table or if I know the majority of the league from prior years. In free leagues, you're better off sticking with H2H.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby DaShiz23 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:01 pm

offer free pr0n subscriptions to weekly winners. ;-D
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby horatio » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:01 am

Free leagues (i.e. no cash prizes for the winner, or even top 3 or 4 teams) are a complete waste of time, in my humble opinion.

"Woooo Hoooo, I won my fantasy baseball league!!"

"Oh really!! What did you win?"

"Uhhh, nothing"

"Well congratulations on your didn't win $h!# victory".
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby kab21 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:50 am

Free leagues are fine when they are done with a group of friends so most everyone stays interested because people have bragging rights on the line (there is some value in not finishing last). I'm in one and it's competitive. I don't really play for the money (although winning it is a bonus) but rather the challenge.

But I can't not even imagine playing in a free public league with random people. The skill level cannot be that high (nobody has anything invested) and several/most of the teams end up dead by midseason. No fun.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby rib217 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:25 am

I have always done free roto redraft leagues....our league has gotten more competitive each season and everyone has tried to be competitive for longer amounts of time; but it does seem inevitable that at some point those bottom tier teams lose interest for the most part.

Ours still seem to check their teams and make some roster moves; but they arent nearly as active as the beginning. This is definitely the biggest problem to not having a playoffs in your fantasy league; i would love any ideas that have helped give people a reason to push on.

I have thought that maybe you could set up some reward draft wise the next year for the bottom 4 or something (12 teams) like 9th place gets #1 pick, 10th gets #2, etc. to give them something to fight for. Only problem with that of course is that teams lingering in the 6th, 7th, or 8th could possibly purposely tank at the end to try and get that 9th place finish.
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Bwanna » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:33 am

I love roto, and I'm usually competitive (knock, knock), but I haven't played for money in several years.

I still enjoy free leagues just for the challenge of the win, and I enjoy redrafts/re-auctions simply because of the draft/auction period. But with roto leagues, I'm really bummed about the drop in participation by the bottom teams after the first 2 or 3 months.

I just think it's inevitable with roto redraft/re-auction leagues. :,-(
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 257)

Postby auclairkeithbc » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:16 pm

I think making the last place team pay double is good incentive in a pay league to keep those bottom guys competing.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers