Bryce Harper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Bryce Harper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Bryce Harper

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:14 am

Steve-o wrote:
Bobbleheadrusty wrote:I would say that in each year most of those players were just as hyped (remembering that the internet as a tool for this sort of forum is still very new). Bush for example.

My recollection on Bush was that the only team that really loved him was his hometown team, SD. I think the general scouting consensus was that he was an overdraft. In fact, even in 2004, I think he was widely regarded as the worst #1 ever taken.

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:So out of 20 players I count 8 who are/were worth their pick. If you give Hamilton a pass and assume the last three all develop (a stretch) you are looking at a 60% success rate.

I seem to remember a Jim Callis Ask BA column about the success of first round and first overall picks. I wish I could find it (I think I read it 6 mo to a year ago), but the conclusions were pretty obvious. Players selected in the first round were more likely to make it to the majors and contribute and players selected first overall were even more likely to be successful. You poo-poo a 60% success rate (and frankly I disagree with you assessment and method on some of those guys), but compare that to the success rate of the lower spots in the draft. I'm sure you'll find that the first spot succeeds at a much higher rate.

I'm not saying that first overall picks aren't successful when compared to lower picks (they are). I'm saying the first HS hitter taken has a pretty low success rate for a 30M contract, especially when you consider that this kid will have only 2 years of high school education and will probably take 3-4 years to even consider being ML ready.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:11 pm

The problem is that not all of those highest HS player drafted names you mentioned were head and shoulders above the rest of the entire draft class.

FWIW - the same poor analysis has been done with Strasburg and all other pitchers drafted #1 overall.

Maybe Harper (or even Strasburg) will be a bust. Anything is possible but he's more of the once every 5-10 yrs type of HS draftee.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 176)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:59 pm

A guy at work told me he heard on the radio that he is now going to finish high school but I can't find anything on it. Anybody hear this?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Curtis Pride » Sun May 23, 2010 2:41 am

After hitting for the cycle the day before, he went 6-6 with 4 home runs last night.

While it's only junior college - it's the JuCo World Series, so it's the best competition out there - and it's wooden bats. And HE'S SEVENTEEN.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun May 23, 2010 7:19 am

Freak.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kab21 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:02 am

Curtis Pride wrote:After hitting for the cycle the day before, he went 6-6 with 4 home runs last night.

While it's only junior college - it's the JuCo World Series, so it's the best competition out there - and it's wooden bats. And HE'S SEVENTEEN.

I will only get on board the harper bandwagon when he hits 3 HR's in a game. That is the true measuring stick of greatness and I don't think it's ever been done.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 176)

Postby Padsin05 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:51 am

Curtis Pride wrote:After hitting for the cycle the day before, he went 6-6 with 4 home runs last night.

JUCO WS is not wooden bats, there are conflicting reports on whether Harper is using wood or not though.

Championship is Sat 29th and its possible gonna be picked up by one of the ESPN's so we might get to see it first hand
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Postby Curtis Pride » Tue May 25, 2010 11:33 am

I've seen numerous videos of him this year - he's using wooden bats.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby mblax10 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:34 pm

Does it really matter if he's using wood this season? Obviously wood makes it even more impressive, but 442/524/986 and 29 HR in 215 AB is ridiculous even if he was using aluminum.

Even with the makeup concerns, he's magnitudes ahead of anybody else in the draft.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 18 and 1 » Mon May 31, 2010 11:32 am

When he's raking at A+ or AA then I'll be impressed. He's playing against horrible competition.
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball