The Official Trade Predictions Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Official Trade Predictions Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Official Trade Predictions Thread

Postby Maris09 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:48 am

SpecialFNK wrote:- with Lowrie coming back soon from the DL would the Red Sox still be looking for a SS? there was word recently of the Sox being interested in a mystery SS from Atlanta. some reading Braves fans were saying it likely was not Yunel Escobar, but with Escobar's benching yesturday and rumours of teammates not being happy with him, could he be a serious option to be traded to Boston?

I think they'll wait and see what they have with Lowrie first. If he is healthy I don't see them going and getting anybody since Nick Green has shown to be a capable backup.

Even though most have disagreed, I've thought all year that Matt Holliday will be traded to Boston for some young pitching.
So I guess I'll stick with that.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CadensDad » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:57 am

SpecialFNK wrote:- with Lowrie coming back soon from the DL would the Red Sox still be looking for a SS? there was word recently of the Sox being interested in a mystery SS from Atlanta. some reading Braves fans were saying it likely was not Yunel Escobar, but with Escobar's benching yesturday and rumours of teammates not being happy with him, could he be a serious option to be traded to Boston?

Not to be a nay sayer, but where was that rumor listed at? I don't see any reason for ATL to move Escobar, who would they get to replace him?

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:09 pm

i was doing a player search yesterday at prosportsdaily.com to find out why Escobar was taken out of the game and thats when i came across another thread there on a mystery SS from Atlanta.
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/sh ... p?t=370741
there the rumour came from mlbtraderumors.com
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/06/r ... tions.html
Red Sox Discussing Shortstop Options
By Eddie Schmid [June 8, 2009 at 6:31pm CST]

According to Nick Cafardo at the Boston Globe, the Red Sox have "left no stone unturned" in their search for a shortstop. Rounding out the list of names are Omar Vizquel, Jack Wilson, J.J. Hardy, the aforementioned Orlando Cabrera, Bobby Crosby, Jason Donald, Miguel Tejada and a mystery shortstop with the Braves. Ideally, Jed Lowrie would make a speedy return from the DL before they begin making any decisions.

As noted earlier, the Sox inquired on Cabrera but apparently aren't interested.

What should the Sox do? Just speculation--could the Braves' shortstop be Yunel Escobar or is it someone else?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 74)

Postby The Handsome One » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:40 pm

Maris09 wrote:

I think they'll wait and see what they have with Lowrie first. If he is healthy I don't see them going and getting anybody since Nick Green has shown to be a capable backup.

Even though most have disagreed, I've thought all year that Matt Holliday will be traded to Boston for some young pitching.

I would really like to see the Red Sox pursue Miguel Tejada if the Astros are really going to move him. I think he would be a great fit.
The Handsome One
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:59 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:Ricciardi should have been fired allready.

No, I have to disagree with you there. He's an above average GM in this league.

not what i would except from a 1st round pick, a 200+ #3/#4 innings eater. i dont really know who went in the picks following him, but i would think with a 1st round pick you want someone with future star potential, like the Jays got when they drafted Travis Snider.

You are basing your opinion on the Jays' draft due from a rotoworld comment on the 1st pick? What about the Boras client in the 2nd round? Or the 3 high school picks that followed that? It's the kind of draft that hasn't been made by this organization in quite a while.

as for the Jays ownership. their main owner Ted Rogers died this past offseason. i dont even know who the CEO is of Rogers coorperation right now, but i dont think putting money into the baseball team is one of their top priorities. if anything in this economy baseball relations are probually near the bottom of priorities.

The corporation Rogers is doing fine right now. I don't believe they'll have a problem spending the money to keep a player that boosts their revenue more than any other.

if Halladay is not traded this season i still think it is something they should seriously explore after the season.

If they aren't planning a serious rebuild, this plan of action makes no sense.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:29 pm

Ricciardi's comments last season alone about Adam Dunn should have raised a big red flag. that was moronic of him to make those comments. hes lied so much you dont know what to believe anymore. im sure hes made some good moves, but that doesnt mean he deserves to remain long term. even a broken clock is right twice a day but you still want to get it fixed.

Rogers coorperation's top priority is there Rogers company customers. there was a big discussion in the offseason at the Jays prosportsdaily.com forum after Ted Rogers died about what Rogers cooperation would be doing. their first obligation is to the customers and not the baseball team.

Roy Halladay right now is 32 years old(turned 32 in May). after his contract is up after 2010 his next contract starting in 2011 he will be 33(34 in May). how long of a contract will he want? im assuming 5 or more years, which would make his contract ages mid to late 30's. this is probually his last chance to get a big pay day contract, so im guessing he is going to want alot of money and alot of years.
how effective is he going to remain through his mid to late 30's? i dont think hes going to all of a sudden suck, but i doubt he remains as effective as he is right now.. yet he will be getting paid as one of best pitchers in the game.
according to baseball-reference.com some of the most notable/recent names of similar pitchers through the same age are- Tim Hudson, Mike Mussina, Jack McDowell, Kevin Millwood, Andy Pettitte. not what i would consider looking forward to having Halladay become into his mid to late 30's.. at what he will be getting paid.
i dont think its a wise business decision to resign Halladay for the price it would cost at the then time of his career, when instead you could have atleast 2 quality players for the same price.. so then trading him based on his current value is the best move to make.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 74)

Postby mac-unit » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:42 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:Ricciardi should have been fired allready. his contract is up after next season aswell, and i hanvt seen much that would make me say he deserves a contract extension himself. his drafting is surely questionable. i dont know who the Jays drafted recently except for their 1st pick, but this guy doesnt exactly excite me for the future. i havnt done research on this player, only going on the write up from rotoworld.com but they say about this player..
Blue Jays selected Kennesaw State RHP Chad Jenkins with the 20th pick.
Jenkins has a sinking low-90s fastball and a plus slider. He's also displayed some potential with his changeup. He probably doesn't have more than third-starter upside and he may be more of a No. 4, but he has the build and arsenal of a 200- or 220-inning guy.

not what i would except from a 1st round pick, a 200+ #3/#4 innings eater. i dont really know who went in the picks following him, but i would think with a 1st round pick you want someone with future star potential, like the Jays got when they drafted Travis Snider.

They are saying that because he doesn't have a long track record. But 90-94 fastball and his change is already an out pitch. He could be a 4 as soon as he reaches the majors. And if his low no.2/good no.3 is a problem, it shouldn't call for a firing since they got a potential no.1 in Paxton if they keep him as a starter. And the 17 year old they got with the 3rd round pick has a pretty high ceiling. I'd love if the Mets had a GM who could draft instead of Minaya who took another MI prospect with our 2nd pick.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:43 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:Ricciardi's comments last season alone about Adam Dunn should have raised a big red flag. that was moronic of him to make those comments.

This is true. But unless you think he should be fired solely because of stupid comments on a radio show, I'm not sure what your point is.

hes lied so much you dont know what to believe anymore. im sure hes made some good moves, but that doesnt mean he deserves to remain long term. even a broken clock is right twice a day but you still want to get it fixed.

Bringing in another GM won't build a better team than the one JP has, unless Rogers starts spending more money on the draft.

Rogers coorperation's top priority is there Rogers company customers. there was a big discussion in the offseason at the Jays prosportsdaily.com forum after Ted Rogers died about what Rogers cooperation would be doing. their first obligation is to the customers and not the baseball team.

Not re-signing Roy Halladay would only further decrease the amount of fans watching the Jays on their television networks. It's not only a good baseball move to sign him, but it's a good business one.

i dont think its a wise business decision to resign Halladay for the price it would cost at the then time of his career,

We don't even know what Halladay will ask for yet. He's already taken a bargain once to stay with the team, and he may do so again. That's another significant reason to sign him.

when instead you could have atleast 2 quality players for the same price.. so then trading him based on his current value is the best move to make.

How do we know what Halladay will get on the trade market? Based on recent ace trades, it's not worth it at all.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:57 pm

Very interesting, but please stop bogarting the thread unless you're going to make a prediction.

:-D :-b
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:55 pm

Maris09 wrote:

Lowrie rehabbed today (took live BP and fielded grounders) and he looked very strong in the field and at the plate. If healthy (which he now appears to be, just needs to get into game shape) he should be an adequate SS for the Sox that would temper their trade inquiries.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers