The Official Trade Predictions Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Official Trade Predictions Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Official Trade Predictions Thread

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:54 am

We're getting to that magical time when teams start deciding on a path for 2009/the future and wheeling and dealing.
What deals do you chaps see going down?

I'll go first and address my beloved/maligned A's. We could still go both ways.............

Buying Mode:

I'd imagine Billy/Forsty would target Dan Uggla of the Marlins, seeing as we have a bat leaning on a chair playing at both 1B and 3B.
You'd assume the frugal Marlins would want to be rid of Uggla because 1. He will be arbitration eligible for the second time this year, and 2. He has already taken them to arbitration and won.
Maybe they'd like something like Josh Donaldson or Eric Patterson + in return.

Selling Mode:

I actually thought this one was quite obvious.
Matt Holliday + O.Cabrera + cash to Kansas City for Kila Kaa'ihue and some from Jordan Parraz/Chris Nichol/Johnny Giavotella/Daniel Duffy.

Kansas City need both a big bopping OFer and a SS with a pulse if they think they can contend this year (which they probably can).
To sweeten the deal Oakland can pay for Holliday, and even add a decent RP if needs be.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Official Trade Predictions Thread

Postby cjd92280 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:38 am

Halladay to the Rangers for Davis, Smoak, McCarthy, and probly other prospects, but only if Texas is serious about winning whis year...
cjd92280
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Jays for Days » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:01 am

lol change McCarthy to Holland or Feliz maybe
Jays for Days
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby tyrant » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:13 am

cjd92280 wrote:Halladay to the Rangers for Davis, Smoak, McCarthy, and probly other prospects, but only if Texas is serious about winning whis year...

I do not see the rangers letting go of Smoak, let alone both Davis and Smoak... They have one of the strongest farm clubs as far as amount of talent but getting rid of both of these guys is something I do not see happening. One is a possibility though (most likely Davis). I see Smoak as being one of their untouchables but it is Halladay and they obviously need pitching to compete..
tyrant
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:06 pm

tyrant wrote:
cjd92280 wrote:Halladay to the Rangers for Davis, Smoak, McCarthy, and probly other prospects, but only if Texas is serious about winning whis year...

I do not see the rangers letting go of Smoak, let alone both Davis and Smoak... They have one of the strongest farm clubs as far as amount of talent but getting rid of both of these guys is something I do not see happening. One is a possibility though (most likely Davis). I see Smoak as being one of their untouchables but it is Halladay and they obviously need pitching to compete..

Doc Halladay will not be traded.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CadensDad » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:16 pm

I'm a bit blank on possible trades, but heres a list of trade bait.

I don't see KC getting Holliday

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:19 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:Doc Halladay will not be traded.

There is a chance that he could be - Ricciardi might want to move him this year because I think he gets 10/5 rights at the end of this season.

It would take something out-of-this world to snag him (which Texas do have the depth to provide), but I think it can be done. ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:20 pm

CadensDad wrote: I don't see KC getting Holliday

Explain
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:27 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:Doc Halladay will not be traded.

There is a chance that he could be - Ricciardi might want to move him this year because I think he gets 10/5 rights at the end of this season.

It would take something out-of-this world to snag him (which Texas do have the depth to provide), but I think it can be done. ;-D

I cant give a source, but Im pretty sure Ive heard or read (but most likely I watched a ballgame, cause I dont really read Jays news) that Blue Jays management stated that they dont think they can get anybody as valueable for the team as Halladay, in a trade.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:57 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:I cant give a source, but Im pretty sure Ive heard or read (but most likely I watched a ballgame, cause I dont really read Jays news) that Blue Jays management stated that they dont think they can get anybody as valueable for the team as Halladay, in a trade.

I've got 2.........

Blue Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi told Jon Heyman of SI.com on Saturday that his club isn't actively shopping Roy Halladay and would need a "boatload" in return if a deal was made.
"I don't think we're in the market to do that at his point," said Ricciardi. "We like our team next year with Halladay. ... If we ever did get to that point, we'd want a boatload. And I don't know whether anyone would offer a boatload. But obviously, we're not at that point."

The Jays are off to a franchise record 17-9 start and aren't likely to be sellers if they can keep up the pace. But you can be sure Ricciardi will be fielding phone calls either way.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/05/the-asking-price-for-doc-halladay.html

Blue Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi doesn't see his club trading Roy Halladay this season. "I still don't see us doing it," said Ricciardi. "I know ownership doesn't want to do it. And I don't think, in my gut, that Doc really wants to be anywhere else."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/04/starks-latest-halladay-vlad-magglio.html

However, those quotes are from April 23 and May 2 when the Blue Jays were on fire.
Of course a GM isn't going to talk about a reconstruction that early. It'll queer the market for his trade chips.

Now that Toronto have come back to reality (and being 17-21 since May 2), with the Yankees and Red Sox playing well, and Tampa Bay having the most runs in baseball, it should be becoming clear it's sell time.
With chief trade rival Peavy being nearly impossible to move with the NTC and injury, Ricciardi should be able to extract a king's ransom for Halladay especially if he offers to chip in half of the contract.
The more I think about it the more it makes sense. Especially if you take into account that you can't believe a word Ricciardi says to the media. ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers