Moneyball the Movie, Starring Brad Pitt - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Moneyball the Movie, Starring Brad Pitt

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Moneyball the Movie, Starring Brad Pitt

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:00 am

I'd calculate the xIMDB to be below 6

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wake » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:09 am

jfg wrote:So, I always thought this was a joke thread.

I'm not really sure why they're making this either. I mean, as someone obsessed with fantasy baseball and baseball stats I fit in the small, niche demographic of people this movie should really appeal to and I have no interest in seeing it.

I can just see the climactic final game from the movie. Instead of Robert Redford's homerun shot into the lights, they'll have Eric Chavez taking ball four for a walkoff walk.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thedude » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:29 am

I wonder if in the movie they are going to include the dialogue during the draft where the A's front officer trashes the drafting of Prince Fielder.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:07 pm

wake wrote:
jfg wrote:So, I always thought this was a joke thread.

I'm not really sure why they're making this either. I mean, as someone obsessed with fantasy baseball and baseball stats I fit in the small, niche demographic of people this movie should really appeal to and I have no interest in seeing it.

I can just see the climactic final game from the movie. Instead of Robert Redford's homerun shot into the lights, they'll have Eric Chavez taking ball four for a walkoff walk.

Agreed. Hasn't the bloom been off Beane's rose for some time now?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:40 pm

I think I'm in the minority here. It doesn't look all that bad from the trailer.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:45 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:I think I'm in the minority here. It doesn't look all that bad from the trailer.

Trailers have a habit of doing that. I'm just saying that I love sports, sports movies, and read the book and I would be in no rush to see this movie.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby bleach168 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:54 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:I think I'm in the minority here. It doesn't look all that bad from the trailer.

Trailers have a habit of doing that. I'm just saying that I love sports, sports movies, and read the book and I would be in no rush to see this movie.

Just watched the trailer. I didn't know DePodesta changed his name to Peter Brand. What's up with that? It also leads me to believe Scott Hatteberg is going to hit a walk off homer in game 7 of the world series. This movie looks to be total fiction and should piss off anyone who read the book or knows anything about the A's. Everyone else, i.e. most people, will watch and love the movie because OMG BRAD PITT!

Still, I'll watch it.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:27 pm

I'd love to check this out when it comes to HBO eventually.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Moneyball the Movie, Starring Brad Pitt

Postby thedude » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:54 pm

bleach168 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

Just watched the trailer. I didn't know DePodesta changed his name to Peter Brand. What's up with that? It also leads me to believe Scott Hatteberg is going to hit a walk off homer in game 7 of the world series. This movie looks to be total fiction and should piss off anyone who read the book or knows anything about the A's. Everyone else, i.e. most people, will watch and love the movie because OMG BRAD PITT!

Still, I'll watch it.

They have to change some stuff, otherwise the audience would fall asleep listening to "Peter Brand" pray that someone else drafts Prince Fielder and advising Billy Beane not to draft Matt Cain.

It was a great book, but it is not really a great subject for a movie.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bleach168 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:45 pm

thedude wrote:
bleach168 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

Still, I'll watch it.

They have to change some stuff, otherwise the audience would fall asleep listening to "Peter Brand" pray that someone else drafts Prince Fielder and advising Billy Beane not to draft Matt Cain.

It was a great book, but it is not really a great subject for a movie.

Oh certainly, I think even the studios expect the movie to fail. But you can't say no to Brad Pitt. With smallish production costs, worst case scenario is you will break even. But it could also end up being the next Jerry Maguire.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk