Hanley - Where are the HR's and SB's? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hanley - Where are the HR's and SB's?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hanley - Where are the HR's and SB's?

Postby thatguy27 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:13 pm

I'm getting a bit concerned about Hanley. He's a bit banged up, but it seems like even in years past he was always a big banged up. His numbers are solid to be sure, but I'm sure those of us who own him or have traded for him were expecting more in the HR and SB departments. It doesn't seem he has a whole lot of protection in that lineup, so that may be a factor. He is logging a bunch of two baggers but where is his 30 HR power or his 30 SB speed? He's on pace for HR's and SB's in the low 20's, and I don't think that's what most owners were expecting when they took him with a top 3 pick.

Can we expect an uptick in these categories as the season goes on or is what we see what we get with this guy?
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hanley - Where are the HR's and SB's?

Postby Ender » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:02 am

It is almost like guys who get injured don't put up the stats that you expect.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jackie hayes » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:47 am

I haven't seen him play, but I knew I was in trouble when I heard, "groin injury". They are slow-healing, anyway, and playing through it is only going to slow things down. My only hope is that he recovers eventually and goes on a tear after the break.

But, yeah...he's killing me.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 63)

Postby Fenam » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:07 pm

thatguy27 wrote:I'm getting a bit concerned about Hanley. He's a bit banged up, but it seems like even in years past he was always a big banged up. His numbers are solid to be sure, but I'm sure those of us who own him or have traded for him were expecting more in the HR and SB departments. It doesn't seem he has a whole lot of protection in that lineup, so that may be a factor. He is logging a bunch of two baggers but where is his 30 HR power or his 30 SB speed? He's on pace for HR's and SB's in the low 20's, and I don't think that's what most owners were expecting when they took him with a top 3 pick.

Can we expect an uptick in these categories as the season goes on or is what we see what we get with this guy?

Ben Zobrist

All jokes aside, in the end he will be a Top 10 player I expect him to go off after the all-star break.
Avid Twins fan.
Champion: 2009 Midwest Mayhem Fantasy Baseball
Fenam
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thatguy27 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:17 pm

Generally it would be safe to assume the groin injury has hindered his speed and power. But, hasn't he played through minor injuries like this (I recall a groin injury from '07 what he played through) the past few seasons and still up monster numbers? Seems over the past 3 seasons he's always a big banged up, but never missed more than a game or two and always produces.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby horatio » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Just be glad you didn't draft Jose Reyes in the 1st round.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby thatguy27 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:00 pm

horatio wrote:Just be glad you didn't draft Jose Reyes in the 1st round.

This is true. I'm not unhappy with the production I'm getting from Hanley, just wondering if we can expect an uptick in HRs and SBs. It was nice to see he got his 9th SB on Sunday.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers