Should leagues have DL spots? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should leagues have DL spots?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Should leagues have DL spots?

Postby ABA316 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:45 pm

How you can not have a DL spot I don't get unless it's a real big bench and even then it still stinks. If you're carrying 3 hurt guys on bench spots that's 3 less spots you can "play" at the moment.

For a keeper league I think it should be 2 DL spots..maybe 1 hitter and 1 pitcher but still. My 25 man keeper league I have 1 DL spot and lost at least 12 guys to the DL already, only 2 or 3 of whom were really droppable so needless to say you know how I'm doing there.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rotoquest » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:11 pm

In the 12 team league in which I am the commish we have 5 dl slots and 2 minor league slots to go with:
Active Roster (22 Players)
1 - C
1 – 1B
1 – 2B
1 – SS
1 – 3B
1 – CI (3rd or 1st)
1 – Mi (2nd or SS)
5 – OF
1 – DH
9 – Pitchers (7 Starters + 2 Relievers or 6 Starters + 3 Relievers)
Bench Roster
4 - The bench may consist of any positions.

But I was actually thinking of cutting the dl roster down to two, so I am interested to see where this thread goes. People should list the amount of teams in their league with the number of dl slots.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:30 pm

ive mentioned id like to see yahoo add an NA spot. id like to maybe see 2 NA spots, but id be happy with 1 atleast.
thats a spot that would likely most often be filled with a top prospect in the minors until their call up, but early in the season that could be used for a prospect who was drafted high and maybe expected to start the season with the big club but instead started the season in the minors. someone like Matt Wieters. Wieters is someone who alot of people had drafted high and when Wieters started the season in the minors for aslong as he did i doubt anyone was dropping him, so they were forced to kill a bench spot with Wieters until he was called up.
if you have atleast 1 NA spot it can make your draft alot more interesting. even if there is a prospect not expected to start the season in the majors, but instead expected to be called up May/June its a question of when do you draft that player. a player like Tommy Hanson who you knew was not going to start the season with the major league team but you expected him to be called up early season and be productive, so by having an NA spot you could draft him earlier than you usually would knowing you have an NA spot and wouldnt have to kill a bench spot.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:04 pm

27 players on active roster including bench - 3 DL spots
21 players on active roster including bench - 2 DL spots

My teams haven't had a lot of injuries (quality, not quantity !+) ) so I can't complain about not having enough DL spots. (x/7)-1 = DL# works for me.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby doughboy1013 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:38 pm

It feels to me that two DL spots is about perfect. I'm in a league with one DL spot, and there's more than a few teams using a bench spot for a DL player still, or more. Luckily I haven't been bitten by the DL bug yet, so stashing is open for business.
I have six of my original 21 draft picks left. Still in 3rd place and closing fast...
doughboy1013
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby walkoffblast » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:48 pm

doughboy1013 wrote:It feels to me that two DL spots is about perfect. I'm in a league with one DL spot, and there's more than a few teams using a bench spot for a DL player still, or more. Luckily I haven't been bitten by the DL bug yet, so stashing is open for business.

This is my point. You have been lucky and they have been unlucky. This probably reflects in the standings in some way or will. Yet, they have to either drop one of these guys for you to stash or play with a disadvantage of less bench spots. That makes two far from perfect in my eyes.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:51 pm

of course
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)