Should leagues have DL spots? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should leagues have DL spots?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Should leagues have DL spots?

Postby Bwanna » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:05 pm

It's strange not to have one or more DL spots, but regardless of what you guys decide, it affects everyone evenly initially.

No DL spots would factor into whether or not I drafted certain injury-prone guys -- Rich Harden, etc. -- and it would drop their value for me a bit.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 262)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fbc_fan » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:28 pm

i find that two is a good number to have. basketball has no IL anymore and i find that to be pretty annoying. if the player is good enough to hold on to, you have to play down a man for a certain amount of time. it is a killer in h2h.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby walkoffblast » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:55 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:i'd love to see NA spot, good idea.

I was thinking about emailing yahoo about the possibility of adding a NA spot the other day. Then I thought lets see them get the stuff they have working right before asking for more.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:15 pm

walkoffblast wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:i'd love to see NA spot, good idea.

I was thinking about emailing yahoo about the possibility of adding a NA spot the other day. Then I thought lets see them get the stuff they have working right before asking for more.

In my dynasty you are able to "Reserve" one player a year. We use a DL spot (GO CBS!) but before our draft you can designate one player who you can protect next year without using a draft pick, but you can't use them all season. Guys like Sheets got put on. I used mine for Ynoa since I know he wont be ready this year.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RyanK » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:07 pm

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:In my dynasty you are able to "Reserve" one player a year. We use a DL spot (GO CBS!) but before our draft you can designate one player who you can protect next year without using a draft pick, but you can't use them all season. Guys like Sheets got put on. I used mine for Ynoa since I know he wont be ready this year.

That could be useful for my league, i stashed Hudson and Escobar on my IR as the past few seasons I have not had to utilize the DL spot as often as some may, it cost $ in my league as well to put someone on it, and we have 2 spots, but this year i got i got hit with Gordon, Encarnacion, Aviles, Doumit all going down and being worthy of those spots so im sol on 4 spots which couldve been some nice ww pitching.

i also think that every league should have at least 1 DL but 2 is a good number... any league with out one is very un-realistic and thats a big reason I play fantasy baseball. First round pick goes out for 1/2 the season and you cant stash him or replace him.... id be a dead team in that league
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby duckbillgates » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:11 pm

I think in an average league, two DL slots is just about right. Lets you have a slot if you have a star hurt long-term and another if you just need a fill-in while one of your regulars goes on the 15-day DL. I started a keeper league a few years ago, and I went with two slots.

That said, my main league is one I joined about five years ago which had been around for quite a few years before that (it pre-dated fantasy baseball sites, if that tells you anything). That league has no DL slots and requires a certain number of backups at each position (2 at each infield position, 5 OF, 5 SP, 4 RP).

It's actually a really fun and challenging league. It takes most new managers a year or two to understand how it works, but it's a unique challenge to deal with injuries when you have to either sit on a guy (and his salary) for a long-term injury or drop him outright. It's a part of what makes that league unique, and now that I'm commissioner of that league as well, I don't think I would entertain the notion of adding DL slots.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:17 am

i just prefer deeper benches
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby MotorCityKitties » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:27 am

fbc_fan wrote:i find that two is a good number to have. basketball has no IL anymore and i find that to be pretty annoying. if the player is good enough to hold on to, you have to play down a man for a certain amount of time. it is a killer in h2h.

I think this has nearly ruined fantasy basketball. Most leagues have 8-10 starters with 3-5 bench spots. If you have 1 or 2 guys hurt you are at such a huge disadvantage that the league is less about the best team and more about the most healthy team. Fantasy baseball rosters are much larger so it wouldn't have as big of an affect, but I think it would hurt the game overall.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pochucker » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:57 am

Years ago my league had one dl spot --we are now up to 3. Came about after I had 10 players hurt at same time and had to drop some good players -- others have had 7/8 hurt at same time also. We also increased reserve spots (we use specific of spots also)to 6 so we could function. When your playing for some substantial cash you want to at least be able to field a team.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby walkoffblast » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:43 pm

RyanK wrote:
Bobbleheadrusty wrote:In my dynasty you are able to "Reserve" one player a year. We use a DL spot (GO CBS!) but before our draft you can designate one player who you can protect next year without using a draft pick, but you can't use them all season. Guys like Sheets got put on. I used mine for Ynoa since I know he wont be ready this year.

That could be useful for my league, i stashed Hudson and Escobar on my IR as the past few seasons I have not had to utilize the DL spot as often as some may, it cost $ in my league as well to put someone on it, and we have 2 spots, but this year i got i got hit with Gordon, Encarnacion, Aviles, Doumit all going down and being worthy of those spots so im sol on 4 spots which couldve been some nice ww pitching.

i also think that every league should have at least 1 DL but 2 is a good number... any league with out one is very un-realistic and thats a big reason I play fantasy baseball. First round pick goes out for 1/2 the season and you cant stash him or replace him.... id be a dead team in that league

If you are looking for realism don't teams in real baseball that lose their best player for a large chunk of the season generally suffer for it? Not advocating no DL spots just playing devils advocate.

I am for having a higher number of DL spots actually. Someone will always get screwed with 1-2. To me its a competitive balance issue. The teams that dodge the injury bug generally are better anyway. Now if a team has to drop an ownable player that these already better teams get to pick up then that does not make much sense. The rich get richer the poor get poorer type scenario.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers