Peavy out a Month: Leg injury - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Peavy out a Month: Leg injury

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Peavy out a Month: Leg injury

Postby arkk21 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:44 pm

Per rotoworld:

Jake Peavy will miss a month of action due to an ankle injury, according to Corey Brock of MLB.com
Peavy's right ankle is in a cast, but no other details are known at this point.
arkk21
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Peavy out a Month: Leg injury

Postby Splendid61 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:49 pm

Here's the article:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090612&content_id=5292238&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Peavy sidelined at least one month
Padres ace to go on 15-day DL with ankle injury

By Corey Brock / MLB.com
ANAHEIM -- San Diego pitcher Jake Peavy will miss at least one month of action and has to wear a cast on the right ankle he injured last month.

The Padres were expected to place Peavy on the disabled list before Friday's Interleague game against the Angels. He was scheduled to start Saturday's game against the Angels.

San Diego general manager Kevin Towers said Friday the team will know more as to when Peavy will return in a month when the cast is removed. Peavy was initially diagnosed with tendinitis in his ankle.

Peavy, who is 6-6 with a 3.97 ERA in 13 starts, won his last start on June 8 against the Diamondbacks, allowing two earned runs in seven innings with eight strikeouts.

Peavy suffered the injury running the bases in a May 22 game against the Cubs. He won that start and his next on May 27 in Arizona, but allowed four runs in 6 1/3 innings. Peavy then received an extra day of rest before his next start against the Phillies on June 2, but lasted just one inning, allowing four runs, though it was an upper respiratory infection that felled him that night.

In his last start against Arizona, Peavy described the pain as "manageable," even though he wore a visible grimace on his face when running to first base after a sacrifice bunt in the game.

"Running is certainly not fun when your ankle isn't 100 percent," Peavy said after that game. "I'm OK. It's just a little tender when you're on it for seven innings. It's one of those things that you just get through."

San Diego manager Bud Black described Peavy's ankle as a "gradual healing" situation that does not affect his delivery.

"The lateral movement is what gets him," Black said. "... The straightforward, off-the-mound pitching, I think, is fine."
Splendid61
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pangbones » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:22 pm

Great! I rejected a solid trade for him last night, because I was gonna trade him for Markakis today!! :-t Just my luck!!
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby mhuhn23 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:27 pm

pangbones wrote:Great! I rejected a solid trade for him last night, because I was gonna trade him for Markakis today!! :-t Just my luck!!

I hear ya...I actually just traded A Hill and Lilly for Peavy/Youkilis...I thought I was getting a steal. Apparently he knew more then I did as this happened a week and a half later.
mhuhn23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Skimo77 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:29 pm

dude that still is a steal even with Peavy out a month
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 31)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:29 pm

lol i traded peavy for aramis ramirez so now i feel a bit vindicated.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby woodson_28 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:06 pm

I just traded for Peavy yesterday too. Plus I have B. Webb, Sizemore and C. Quentin on my bench already.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ReincarnatedIntoCansecoBiceps » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:29 pm

woodson_28 wrote:I just traded for Peavy yesterday too. Plus I have B. Webb, Sizemore and C. Quentin on my bench already.

I have sizemore and quentin on my bench already too. I tried trading him over the last couple of weeks, as i knew he was going to break down, but no one wanted him. Its okay, theres always next year. I'll just keep fantasy baseball in the back burner, maybe this is good, it will subside my addiction.
ReincarnatedIntoCansecoBiceps
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby B-Chad » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:01 am

Skimo77 wrote:dude that still is a steal even with Peavy out for the season

There, corrected it.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Oatsdad » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:12 am

Is he officially on the DL? Yahoo's blurb says SD was supposed to put him on the DL before Friday's game, but he's not listed as such on the site. I could use that roster spot in my H2H league ASAP so I can throw another starter out there for Saturday!

At least this is a deep DL league, so I can hold him while we wait to see IF he returns this season...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates