Rockies Owner Drafts Son LOL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rockies Owner Drafts Son LOL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rockies Owner Drafts Son LOL

Postby CadensDad » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:42 pm

NWSoxaholic wrote:Yeah, that quote is pretty bad, but otherwise I think it happens alot since the baseball draft is so deep and by then I'm sure it's just a crapshoot. Wasn't Mike Piazza drafted as a favor to someone?


Yea, Lasorda was good freinds with his mom/pop and the dodgers took him last pick if I'm not mistaken
Image

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5977
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rockies Owner Drafts Son LOL

Postby thejusman1 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:45 pm

I don't really see the problem with this either. Sometimes it just pays to be blood.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2814
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rockies Owner Drafts Son LOL

Postby kab21 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:08 pm

I think that this is more of a case that the draft should be shortened to 25-30 rds (the NFL draft was just about cut in half about 10 years ago). Does it matter if the Rockies take a nepotism pick without baseball talent (just a guess) in rd 47 or another less talented player that has a <0.1% chance of making the majors?
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5340
(Past Year: 166)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rockies Owner Drafts Son LOL

Postby DbacksRback » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:19 pm

Phillies also drafted Ruben Amaro's son Robert Amaro. Other players brothers also seem to get drafted too
________________________________________

Image
DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2879
(Past Year: 57)
Joined: 2 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rockies Owner Drafts Son LOL

Postby mac-unit » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:32 pm

kab21 wrote:I think that this is more of a case that the draft should be shortened to 25-30 rds (the NFL draft was just about cut in half about 10 years ago). Does it matter if the Rockies take a nepotism pick without baseball talent (just a guess) in rd 47 or another less talented player that has a <0.1% chance of making the majors?

If they did that you're asking a team to sign every player they draft just to have a full rookie team. And less talented? Tell that to the gold glove winning second baseman Orlando Hudson. The first pick in that draft isn't even in baseball anymore.
Image
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1059
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: New Jersey

Re: Rockies Owner Drafts Son LOL

Postby chargerss24 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:07 pm

CadensDad wrote:
NWSoxaholic wrote:Yeah, that quote is pretty bad, but otherwise I think it happens alot since the baseball draft is so deep and by then I'm sure it's just a crapshoot. Wasn't Mike Piazza drafted as a favor to someone?


Yea, Lasorda was good freinds with his mom/pop and the dodgers took him last pick if I'm not mistaken


That is correct. Very last pick of the draft. Not a bad one either as a favor. :-B
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1618
(Past Year: 42)
Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Playing on the Field of Dreams

Re: Rockies Owner Drafts Son LOL

Postby kab21 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:57 pm

mac-unit wrote:
kab21 wrote:I think that this is more of a case that the draft should be shortened to 25-30 rds (the NFL draft was just about cut in half about 10 years ago). Does it matter if the Rockies take a nepotism pick without baseball talent (just a guess) in rd 47 or another less talented player that has a <0.1% chance of making the majors?

If they did that you're asking a team to sign every player they draft just to have a full rookie team. And less talented? Tell that to the gold glove winning second baseman Orlando Hudson. The first pick in that draft isn't even in baseball anymore.


There are still undrafted FA's to fill out rookie leagues (and the intl market and other slower developing players) which would be in a little bit more demand with a shorter draft. Despite Orlando Hudson it's rare for most (nearly all) of the very late round picks to make the MLB (much less AA or AAA).

The fact is that the end of the draft ends up being a joke where teams have draft picks to burn and make various nepotism picks. If the only purpose is to fill out a rookie league roster then there is no point. Guys like Hudson would still have been signed as an UDFA or ended up in JUCO/college and developed from there.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5340
(Past Year: 166)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rockies Owner Drafts Son LOL

Postby jfg » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:01 am

Mike Piazza is actually Lasorda's godson isn't he?

The Twins drafted Gardenhire's son Toby and he's still in the system.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 82)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rockies Owner Drafts Son LOL

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:26 am

Kenny Williams took his son this year. And his daughter last year.

The Nats took their pitching coaches son.

The White Sox took Harold Baines Jr, along with a couple other nepotism picks.

The Red Sox took Yaz's kid. The Orioles took Al Bumbry's kid.

The Rockies also took their manager's kid
As did the Royals.

The Rangers took Ruben Sierra Jr. The Tigers and A's took a Porcello and a Crosby respectively (brothers)

And the topper, the Orioles took Joe Flacco's brother.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 410
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rockies Owner Drafts Son LOL

Postby brock middlebrook » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:37 am

By the 47th round, you'd think you'd want players who will work hard and not make waves. If a guy is getting drafted on talent alone and doesn't get picked by the 47th round, his chances for success probably aren't great...
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 436
Joined: 29 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact