100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Excessive Celebrations

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Excessive Celebrations

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:35 am

This from today's closing time on Yahoo:

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=5006293

REALLY? A walk off base hit to snag a W against the ROYALS in JUNE?!?!? I just don't get it...you'd think that they just beat a team to lock up the division or go to the World Series with the way they were celebrating. I'm all for being happy with a snaggin' the W, but REALLY? Do you have to go mug the Choo-Choo between 1B and 2B? Good lord, purely excessive and unwarranted. And it was off of the great Farnsworth, so knowing his track record, the Indians better watch out for a few up and in pitches the next time crazy Kyle takes the mound.

It's part of a trend that drives me nuts...hitters nail a bomb and they sit there and watch the ball and trot to first like it was the best HR ever hit in the history of baseball. Or closers do their JOB by getting three outs in the ninth and celebrate like mad (I'm talking to you F-Rod and even friggin' Qualls last night), where's the sportsmanship? Now-a-days it seems to be all about me, me, me and look at what I just did.

Side note - I was watching part of game 4 of the NBA finals and every single time someone took a shot or turned the ball over, the players would act like they got mugged and bitch at the ref. But when they got called for a foul, they would spin around and bitch at the ref because there's no way they fouled the guy...good lord.

I know this is nothing new but this video clip just irked me and I had to post something...ahhh... :-°
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Excessive Celebrations

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:38 am

mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:58 am

anytime you hit a bird to drive in the winning run, you gotta celebrate. it's once in a life time moment.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby neoforce » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:19 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:anytime you hit a bird to drive in the winning run, you gotta celebrate. it's once in a life time moment.

I hope the bird is ok. It survived initially, but who knows?

2 great (?) bird moments in MLB history resulted in dead birds.

Randy Johnson in 2001 was pitching when a dove flew into a fastball and exploded in feathers. I'm sure there is video of that some where, but truth is I'm not anxious to see it! :-o

No video when Dave Winfield hit one back in 1983 because it was during warm ups. I'll never forget the fuss when they arrested him. I did find this quote that I remembered from the time at http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/sportanimalcruelty.html
"They say he hit the gull on purpose," said Yanks manager Billy Martin "They wouldn't say that if they'd seen the throws he'd been making all year. It's the first time he's hit the cutoff man."
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Ender » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:25 pm

I find it odd that people get so worked up over such little things personally.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:31 pm

Ender wrote:I find it odd that people get so worked up over such little things personally.

You've probably never had to endure the Papelbon fist pump.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Ender » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:48 pm

I was commenting more on the celebration. They are off to a miserable start, they have lost a number of games late this season. They come back from 2 down in the 8th to tie the game and then win it with a walk off hit in the 10th, not to mention the ball hitting a bird. This really isn't the type of game they see every night or anything, so what if they are a little extra excited.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby RAmst23 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:55 pm

What in the world does it matter and why does this guy care? Take a deep breath and realize it's none of your business, if they want to break out in a synchronized dance at the end of the game they're welcome to do it.

I'd much rather see the excessive side of celebrating and players getting into the game than the opposite. Leave them be, and if you ever hit a game winning HR, well, than your welcome to show everyone how you'd celebrate.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:25 pm

RAmst23 wrote:What in the world does it matter and why does this guy care? Take a deep breath and realize it's none of your business, if they want to break out in a synchronized dance at the end of the game they're welcome to do it.

That's a shot and it's uncalled for...why do you care that I posted something about this topic? Are you the post police here at the cafe and get to determine what topics are suitable and what ones aren't? Why do you care that I'm all for a little more sportsmanship in games and a little less "Hey, look at me" moments?

RAmst23 wrote:I'd much rather see the excessive side of celebrating and players getting into the game than the opposite. Leave them be, and if you ever hit a game winning HR, well, than your welcome to show everyone how you'd celebrate.

This comment fits what this post was started about...you like all of the celebrating and that's fine, that's your opinion, there's no need for the shots at someone who doesn't agree with how you feel.

I saw the video this morning, and coupled with the whiny moments from Game 4 last night, made me want to start a conversation on the topic.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:35 pm

Nice to see Cleveland has a strategy of using animals on the field to win games. Bravo...whats next a heard of Lama's
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers