David Price - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

David Price

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

David Price

Postby bceagles04 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:16 pm

So we've seen 4 starts now from the Tampa phenom.

I'd like to get a little discussion going, and would love some input from those who are watching the games, not just reading the box scores, like myself...

Start by start:

May 25 @ CLE 3.1 IP 4 H 2 ER 5 BB 6 K
May 30 MIN 5.2 IP 5 H 1 ER 2 BB 11 K
Jun 6 @ NYY 5.2 IP 2 H 3 R 1 ER 5 BB 3 K
Jun 11 LAA 4.1 IP 2 H 1 ER 6 BB 6 K

Totals:

19 IP 13 H 5 ER 18 BB 26 K 2W 0L

12.3 K/9 is unbelievable
1.4 BB/K is not. at all.

His WHIP sits at 1.63, but important to note is that almost 60% of his baserunners get to first via walk.

Is his control this bad? Is it nerves? Something else?

What do you all predict for the rest of the year?
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: David Price

Postby MEK4178 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:57 pm

Why didn't he get the win tonight? he left with the lead didn't he?
MEK4178
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigken117 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:01 pm

MEK4178 wrote:Why didn't he get the win tonight? he left with the lead didn't he?

SP need at least 5 IP to get the win

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:04 pm

David "Dice-K" Price.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:46 pm

This might be the David Price we see. The way he's pitching right now, it's really difficult to score on him (generally walks in bunches hurt you, but it's better to give up no hits and a lot of walks then no walks and a lot of hits), but he also can't get deep into games because he wastes so many pitches per hitter. I'm kind of nervous that TB won't try to get him to change all that much, because he's "doing the job" right now in real-life terms... He'll end up being a good ERA/K guy, with an ugly WHIP (and maybe an average W guy). Also interesting to note that his command troubles seem to come when he's pitching with a big lead (Maybe he just loses focus? anybody comment on how he pitched in AAA with big leads?)
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby JJDM » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:27 am

I've watched his last couple starts, and he is constantly trying to nibble away at the corners of the plate. He had several borderline pitches on 2 K counts that were called balls because they ended up just off the plate when they hit the glove.

From what I've seen so far, he's going to have some games where he walks 6 people and throws 100 pitches in 4 innings, and he'll have some games where he strikes out 12 people, depending on the ump.

I think we can all agree that he'd be more effective if he'd trust his movement and pitch in the strike zone to keep his pitch count down more often.
JJDM
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby hybrid » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:36 am

He wasn't really ready to come up, but Kazmir made it so they needed to do it. To me his control has just been bad, it's not so much nibling to me as he isn't that close or around the plate. I think it's more something in his delivery that is effecting him. I remember when I first saw him he reminded me a lot of Ubaldo as far as stuff and delivery, but I guess you can add poor control to that as well. I think he will eventually solve his control issues, but I'm not surprised he is having some problems early on.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby wildbill » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:52 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:but it's better to give up no hits and a lot of walks then no walks and a lot of hits
buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:but he also can't get deep into games because he wastes so many pitches per hitter

Anyone else see the contradiction in these 2 statements? If he can't go deep into games because he's wasting pitches especially by walking too many batters how is that better then throwing fewer pitches with some of those walks being base hits instead, assuming most would be singles? I'm just trying to understand the conflicting logic of those 2 statements.

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:anybody comment on how he pitched in AAA with big leads?)

I don't know about big leads, but part of the problem may be that I don't think they ever let him go more then 5 IP in AAA no matter what his pitch count was. However, the few times I saw stats on one of his AAA starts I think he was usually around 70 some pitches with 5 IP, so he hasn't been as efficient in the majors yet.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:24 am

He will be fine in the long run. Right now, he is struggling with his fastball command quite a bit. His changeup is still a work in progress, so he is really just working off of the fastball and slider. Once he gets some consistent control of the fastball, we will see those walk rates tumble quite a bit.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:53 am

kimchi_chigae wrote:David "Dice-K" Price.

Dice-BB you mean
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers