Whats up with Markakis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Whats up with Markakis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Whats up with Markakis

Postby Smileyman9 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:54 pm

HellasLEAF wrote:
Smileyman9 wrote:Overall. Nothing appears to be alarming with Nick Markakis.

3 to 4 weeks. you can give him that based his hot start.

7 to 8 weeks? if you aren't alarmed by this 'slump' you don't have a pulse. I mean, it's every single category, he does NOTHING. It's not like he is stealing bags in between sucking like V. Wells.

I've always felt that it seemed to be a popular misconception that Markakis was a speedster who could steal bases; Last year he had 10SBs...the year before 18SBs... I don't know this for a fact because I don't know where one would check this sort of thing...however, it always seemed like at least a good fraction of his SB total occured during double steals (B-Rob going 2nd to 3rd and Markakis 1st to 2nd).

Beyond what AussieDodger pointed out (which is a very valid point) I just don't see a need to freak out; Like I said...stats occur over a season - and right now, he's hit 7HRs which means he needs to hit 13 more over the course to match last season. His BA is .16-.23 lower then the end of the season the last two years...something a nice hot streak will take care of; With that said, if you have someone better to insert and bench him while he's cold...go for it...I just wouldn't drop him or trade him low...
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby horatio » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:19 pm

Funny how emotions change over the course of a few weeks during the season. After the first 1 month I had a friend regretting trading Markakis for Prince Fielder, preseason I read someone on here talking about Markakis being better than Holliday (Holliday's due for a serious hot streak I can feel it). The point is, well, it's kind of like investing in the stock market really, unless new information comes around (i.e. an injury), you'll be better off in the long run (i.e. the entire season) if you stick with your original analysis and/or instincts and ride out the short term bumps along the road rather than ditching your investment and reaching for yesterday's short term hot commodity.

Now sometimes guys you really believed in will just suck so badly for an extended period that you just simply can't take it any longer (example: David Ortiz), but for the most part the best thing to do is just stick to your guns and be like Captain Dan (Forrest Gump fame) in the thunder storm.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby JakeTrain72 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:58 pm

AussieDodger wrote:P.S - I love how when there is a problem with a player all the Seinfeld's on the board come out and make threads. ;-7

So when I have a player I am heavily invested in not playing well and I haven't seen any of his ABs and come on here to the Cafe for advice since all I have are the numbers, I'm a "Seinfeld" ? Never would have thought to look at his splits though thanks for pointing that out.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtxdevil » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:04 pm

JakeTrain72 wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:P.S - I love how when there is a problem with a player all the Seinfeld's on the board come out and make threads. ;-7

So when I have a player I am heavily invested in not playing well and I haven't seen any of his ABs and come on here to the Cafe for advice since all I have are the numbers, I'm a "Seinfeld" ? Never would have thought to look at his splits though thanks for pointing that out.

You're a Seinfeld since you phrased your question "what's up with ____?"
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:53 pm

mtxdevil wrote:
JakeTrain72 wrote:

mtxdevil is correct, and it wasn't meant as an insult.
;-D

When my batters are under-performing the very first thing I look at is their splits. ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:16 pm

isn't he usually a 2nd half player?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby JakeTrain72 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:07 am

AussieDodger wrote:
mtxdevil wrote:
JakeTrain72 wrote:

mtxdevil is correct, and it wasn't meant as an insult.
;-D

When my batters are under-performing the very first thing I look at is their splits. ;-D

ah ...ok gotchya!
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jackie hayes » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:48 am

Smileyman9 wrote:I've always felt that it seemed to be a popular misconception that Markakis was a speedster who could steal bases; Last year he had 10SBs...the year before 18SBs... I don't know this for a fact because I don't know where one would check this sort of thing...however, it always seemed like at least a good fraction of his SB total occured during double steals (B-Rob going 2nd to 3rd and Markakis 1st to 2nd).

I think that's true. But before the season, there were reports that Markakis would be more aggressive in basestealing, like this:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orio ... 2259.story

I didn't get my hopes up too much, but I thought 15 was a reasonable guess. So this is still disappointing.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 90)

Postby mtxdevil » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:48 pm

He's been getting more hits recently. The HR tonight is a good sign.
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Joe Mama » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:57 pm

First homer since May 21st and first RBI since May 29th. To say it's about a time may be an understatement.
Joe Mama
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers