Who is the Next big thing??--Pitching-wise - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Who is the Next big thing??--Pitching-wise

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who is the Next big thing??--Pitching-wise

Postby Seatownfavorite » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:40 pm

BUCCOFAN wrote:I am a big fan of Madison Bumgarner (SF) ;-D He will soon join Timmy Lincecum in the rotation, and form a potent dual.....Sanchez should be moved for much needed offensive help.

Agree but I don't think we see him until some time next year. He had a phenomenal season last year but he's still just 19. If we see him this year it will be September in the bullpen would be my guess. No need to rush his kind of talent.
Seatownfavorite
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:49 pm

BUCCOFAN wrote:I am a big fan of Madison Bumgarner (SF) ;-D He will soon join Timmy Lincecum in the rotation, and form a potent dual.....Sanchez should be moved for much needed offensive help.

You forget Cain and Alderson. They're going to be scary good real quick...at least their pitching anyway.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby chickaboowah » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:49 pm

Montana168 wrote:neftali feliz and chris tillman are the 2 next big pitching prospects that will be relevant this year (possibly this month)...tillman has been on fire in AAA for the orioles all year but feliz had a rocky start (i believe a 4.8 ERA in april, but he's calmed down and cut down the walks which killed him). both are also already in the yahoo database. also like the guy said above, its not that hard to just google prospects and scouting reports to get a feel for who the top guys are and just track their stats on minor league website.

Thanks Montana

that's what I was looking for--in a Yahoo league, points only for W's, K's, CG, Shutouts, and saves. Non keeper so there are no commitments here, just want to find a guy who might strikeout a guy/inning and win a few games come summer!! Thanks again folks

Geoff

**^^thanks Soxrock556 and sportsfan1433^^**
chickaboowah
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:29 am

Aaron Poreda just got the call up from AA. Definitely one to keep an eye on, as he's starting out in the bullpen.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Vitreous » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:03 pm

I look for potential + opportunity.

Mat Latos...4 starts in AA with a total of 2 runs given up and a WHIP well under 1. And who does he have to beat out to join the San Diego rotation...Josh Geer and Chad Gaudin.
Vitreous
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wolfblitzjr » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:59 pm

Strasburg has pitched way too many innings already so i'm sure that the nationals are in no hurry to sign him. So he's def not anything to worry about for fantasy baseball. I am waiting for the orioles pitcher Tillman...
wolfblitzjr
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby chickaboowah » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:23 am

Anything new??

Been struggling with Rich Hill and others trying to stay near the top--Need the next big prsopect to ehlpo me in the 2nd half!!

Any help would be great!!

Geoff

**^^thanks Soxrock556 and sportsfan1433^^**
chickaboowah
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby metsfan12 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:13 pm

I wouldn't get too excited about anyone pitching for Baltimore. They have the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 8th best offenses (based on runs scored per game)in the MLB in their division so no matter how good the pitcher is they are going to struggle to put up good ratios with Baltimore playing so many games against those 4 teams. Meanwhile Baltimore is ranked 14th so wins against those teams won't be easy either. Let me fire one more stat at you so you can see how big a difference it is. Those 4 teams score 5.36 runs/game, the rest of the league scores 4.51 runs/game. That is a 19% difference. 19% is the difference between a 3.5 ERA and a 4.17 ERA so even a relatively good pitcher, on average, is going to be a poor one against those 4 teams.

One last thing before I stop rambling. Baltimore's opponents in August and September (key for a late July callup of course)...
Bos, Det, Tor, Oak, LAA, TB, CWS, MIN, CLE, NYY, TEX, BOS, NYY, TB, BOS, TOR, CLE, TB

That September especially is BRUTAL. I just took Tillman off my watch list.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby willy-t » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:02 pm

Jeremy Hellickson just got off the DL in tampa's AA. Might get traded as they have plenty of SPs in that system. Scott Elbert also coming back and might get a look for LAD before the end of the year. Elbert in particular got probably as much K potential as anybody in the minors and Hellickson no slouch, better K rate than Tillman. About 70 in 60 IP I think.
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates