Xavier Nady - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Xavier Nady

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Xavier Nady

Postby kaiser » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:43 am

He is heading to some extended spring training and minor league games. Should be back in the show in the next few weeks. Anyone have any thoughts on him?
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 428)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Xavier Nady

Postby CharlatanSin » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:22 am

Fantasy-wise, his value will be limited. He'll have a tough time getting regular at bats. Best case, he platoons. Swisher, Damon and Melky are all getting the job done, and Matsui's getting the majority of DH at bats. So that's 5 guys for 4 positions. So barring an injury, I question his usefulness in a shallow fantasy league.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ursa » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:44 pm

CharlatanSin wrote:Fantasy-wise, his value will be limited. He'll have a tough time getting regular at bats. Best case, he platoons. Swisher, Damon and Melky are all getting the job done, and Matsui's getting the majority of DH at bats. So that's 5 guys for 4 positions. So barring an injury, I question his usefulness in a shallow fantasy league.

Definitely agree with this. However, I have him stashed on the DL in a deep league and, assuming he comes back OK, he's one Yankee injury away from regular ABs. Must be worth keeping for a couple more weeks if you've held him all season.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 24)

Postby xpose » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:53 pm

Swisher isn't consistent so Nady will get plenty of shots. Keep in mind Swisher is no where close to a 300 hitter but Nady was consistently 300 or better.

Some latest news on Nady:

According to the New York Daily News, Yankees' outfielder Xavier Nady went 1-for-3 with a home run and a walk in an extended spring training game on Monday. Nady continues to throw at 75-90 feet, but the Yankees want him to be able to throw at 150 feet before they will activate him.

Our View: It sounds like Nady's bat is ready, but the Yankees aren't going to rush him back before he is able to throw. He is pain-free at 75-90 feet right now, but until he can go to 150 feet pain free he will stay away from the team. With a trip to national league parks in Florida, Atlanta, and New York (Mets) coming up, Nady will have to play the field before the Yanks can get him in the lineup.

Source: http://www.fantasysp.com/mlb_player_news/Xavier_Nady/
xpose
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby CharlatanSin » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:29 pm

xpose wrote:Swisher isn't consistent so Nady will get plenty of shots. Keep in mind Swisher is no where close to a 300 hitter but Nady was consistently 300 or better.

On the other hand, Swish has shown a lot of power, and he's quickly become a strong fan favorite in New York, which has always meant something for the Yankees (how else can you explain how Shelley Duncan got so much PT the past couple of years).

Make no mistake, Nady will get his fair share of ABs, but not necessarily enough to be fantasy relevant in a shallow-ish league (deeper leagues are a different story, as Ursa said).
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ivanhack » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:02 am

I agree with this post.

When Nady comes back best case scenario he platoons with Nick Swisher.

I don't understand why some people on this forum think Nick Swisher stinks.

He has a solid On Base Percentage (.390) and he hits for power (12 home runs).

You figure Damon will play almost every day in Left, Melky & Brett Gardner will play in center field, Swisher plays in left, and Matsui DH's (with Posada occasionally getting some DH at bats).

I think Nady is worth stashing in deeper leagues (12 teams or more). I just don't think he's worth the roster spot in leagues smaller than that.

Just my opinion but in leagues smaller than that I want my hitters playing almost every day.

CharlatanSin wrote:
xpose wrote:Swisher isn't consistent so Nady will get plenty of shots. Keep in mind Swisher is no where close to a 300 hitter but Nady was consistently 300 or better.

On the other hand, Swish has shown a lot of power, and he's quickly become a strong fan favorite in New York, which has always meant something for the Yankees (how else can you explain how Shelley Duncan got so much PT the past couple of years).

Make no mistake, Nady will get his fair share of ABs, but not necessarily enough to be fantasy relevant in a shallow-ish league (deeper leagues are a different story, as Ursa said).
ivanhack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Swipe79 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:02 pm

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Swisher seems to make bonehead plays. Two last week against the Red Sox that killed rallies...that might figure into the equation for Girardi.

I would not be surprised if one of the Yankees surplus outfielders is traded before the deadline for bullpen help.
Swipe79
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates