Why have a limit on innings pitched in roto leagues? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Why have a limit on innings pitched in roto leagues?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why have a limit on innings pitched in roto leagues?

Postby thejusman1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:51 pm

I think as long as the limit on innings is a fairly high ceiling, I have no problem seeing a cap on it. As mentioned before, it does prevent streaming off the FA. Even in my 10 Team league, we have a lot of FA pitchers who anyone could stream with confidence - guys like Bush, who gets to play against the Rockies, Padres, and Giants a lot, Scott Richmond, Blackburn, etc.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eneric » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:02 am

thejusman1 wrote:I think as long as the limit on innings is a fairly high ceiling, I have no problem seeing a cap on it. As mentioned before, it does prevent streaming off the FA. Even in my 10 Team league, we have a lot of FA pitchers who anyone could stream with confidence - guys like Bush, who gets to play against the Rockies, Padres, and Giants a lot, Scott Richmond, Blackburn, etc.

Those are some pretty good names in the FA pool. You make a good point though, in a 10 team league perhaps streaming could be that easy and could present a problem. In larger leagues maybe 12 to 14 teams though it probably would be more unlikely to stream pitchers on a regular basis.
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

Postby RDD15 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:54 pm

In one of my 12-teamers (albeit a points league), there are decent pitchers on the wire that would not be awful streaming options. In my 16-teamer, there are not stream-worthy SP on the wire.

Either way, the original question was not about what league size makes streaming feasible, it was about why it might make sense to have an innings cap in a roto league. I believe that that question has been answered, and an innings cap has been justified.

While discussing league sizes and streaming could be another topic worth discussion, I hold firm to the idea that a well thought out innings cap certainly can't HURT anything.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Carnac » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:18 pm

Years ago we had a few teams start streaming. Based on how my pitchers did the first couple days of the week (h2h), I would do it when needed. Got to the point where you had to be up at midnight to grab the best available (very competitive league). We unanimously decided to put a moves limit the following year. We have a 65 move limit since then and it works well to stop streaming.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Armed and Hammered » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:39 pm

Old topic that I wanted to bring up again instead of starting a new one with smilar questions.

Just looking for any new takes on this issue. I am in a league without limits and someone is probably going to win by using the exact strategy as stated prev in this thread, loading up on hitters and saves and streaming 3-4 spots a day on SP's.

Do most roto leagues use IP limits? The guys saying that all you would be left with is the bottom of the barrel guys is right, but it doesn't matter because those guys will occasionally get wins and will always get a few K's so if you have 3-4 of them going each day it is easy to overtake the rest of the league who is not streaming guys in and out.

Just trying to get a feel as to how many leagues DON'T use IP limits. I would guess that about 80% do.
Armed and Hammered
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby flloyd » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:37 pm

This is exactly why you need to limit streaming. It can be a winning strategy if the rules are poorly designed and it really isn't what fantasy baseball should be about. The winner should be who is best able to evaluate talent and put together a team.

My league instituted an innings limit after this happened and I thought Yahoo leagues had one by default.

Another option is to put a limit on add/drops. This will force people to make their choices wisely and is more akin to real baseball where teams can't simply pick up multiple players each day.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Armed and Hammered » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:45 pm

Anyone know of any good write-ups on this issue? Seems to me that just about every good roto league uses some sort of limit to prevent the strategy already noted of loading up on closers and hitters and streaming SP's. I've seen it work firsthand now yet am still having a hard time convincing guys that we need a limit. Anyone know of any articles that speak directly to this issue? I've been looking around for awhile. Looking for something that speaks to both sides of the issue. Thanks for any help.
Armed and Hammered
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RDD15 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:30 pm

I dont know of any articles, but perhaps link them to this thread. There are some pretty valid points made here.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner