Why have a limit on innings pitched in roto leagues? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Why have a limit on innings pitched in roto leagues?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why have a limit on innings pitched in roto leagues?

Postby eneric » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:38 pm

I fail to comprehend just why it matters if it's 201 max innings pitched per slot or if it's unlimited. Can somebody please breakdown the pros and cons or does it even matter at all?
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why have a limit on innings pitched in roto leagues?

Postby RDD15 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:44 pm

Because in a standard 5x5, 3 of the categories are "accumulator" categories instead of ratio categories. You could stream pitchers nonstop to be #1 in Wins, Saves, and K's.

Whether or not this is a big deal depends upon league roster settings and transaction rules.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby yearbend » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:41 am

do you want someone to draft first 12 rounds offense and STILL be the winner of WINS and K's even though they have the worst pitchers in the league?

thank you very much for the sig, soty!
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=45974

^^ soty's profile page ^^
yearbend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ABA316 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:38 pm

What they said!

That said, I much prefer a moves limit over an IP limit to solve the streaming issues. It's a pain when you have to bench all your SP for weeks just to get under the limit.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby eneric » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:58 am

yearbend wrote:do you want someone to draft first 12 rounds offense and STILL be the winner of WINS and K's even though they have the worst pitchers in the league?

Hmmm, I get where you're coming from but doesn't streaming pitchers in essence sacrafice ERA and WHIP in exchange for K's and maybe ocassional wins? I mean if somebody is trying to pick up a pitcher to start everyday they're no doubt scraping the bottom of the bucket in the FA pool right?
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

Postby eneric » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:04 am

RDD15 wrote:Because in a standard 5x5, 3 of the categories are "accumulator" categories instead of ratio categories. You could stream pitchers nonstop to be #1 in Wins, Saves, and K's.

Whether or not this is a big deal depends upon league roster settings and transaction rules.

You see I disagree on that, with the exception of maybe streaming K's. Closers come at a minimum and are usually all owned, so if you're lucky enough to snag a relief pitcher who takes over the closer role you'd have to trade for saves. And wins, wins are so hard to predict. I mean there are several ace pitchers and other quality pitchers based upon matchups that you could assume would get the win but we both know that's not a guaranteed thing. And if somebody was just randomly picking up FA pitchers to spot start they would be risking starting a suspect pitcher (Johnny Giveupthelongball) and end up with an ERA that reaches the sky with a triple digit WHIP and maybe 3 to 4 Ks at that. Does that make sense?
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigmck » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:24 pm

eneric wrote:
RDD15 wrote:Because in a standard 5x5, 3 of the categories are "accumulator" categories instead of ratio categories. You could stream pitchers nonstop to be #1 in Wins, Saves, and K's.

You see I disagree on that, with the exception of maybe streaming K's. Closers come at a minimum and are usually all owned, so if you're lucky enough to snag a relief pitcher who takes over the closer role you'd have to trade for saves. And wins, wins are so hard to predict. I mean there are several ace pitchers and other quality pitchers based upon matchups that you could assume would get the win but we both know that's not a guaranteed thing. And if somebody was just randomly picking up FA pitchers to spot start they would be risking starting a suspect pitcher (Johnny Giveupthelongball) and end up with an ERA that reaches the sky with a triple digit WHIP and maybe 3 to 4 Ks at that. Does that make sense?

You make perfect sense. We have eleven owners in our NL league and each has nine pitchers. There are no reserves. There are free agents to be had, but none are worth streaming. They are all bums. I see no need for a maximum innings rule.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby eneric » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:29 pm

THANK YOU!!
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RDD15 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:14 pm

Thing is, in a 10-team Yahoo 5x5, there are pitchers on the wire that are roughly equal to the pitchers at the end of most teams benches.

Yeah, NL-only guy with 9 pitchers and no bench spots has a point....for his league. In a league like that with say 10 owners, there are 90 pitchers taken out of roughly 192 pitchers in the NL at any given point. Basically, all 5 SP and 1 RP for each NL team. It is kind of impossible to stream in that league.

I am in one 10-team roto that has decent pitchers (Nolasco, Baker, Hanson, etc) on waivers. If not for the innings cap, why would a team with a bad SP staff not just stream through FA pitchers to get K's and W's? I mean, it isn't like someone is going to drop Johan Santana in order to stream. But dropping guys like Nick Blackburn and Dave Bush does not significantly affect your ERA or WHIP if you pick up a guy like Baker. But say you stream through 5 SP in a week in that one spot. The ERA and WHIP are affected minimally, but instead of getting 1 day of 4 K's, you get 5 days of 4 K's. Over the course of a season, that means a difference of about 400 k's. And yeah, wins are hard to predict. So is the lottery. You are more likely to win the more tickets you have. Each SP is a lottery ticket.

Streaming is not used to cycle great pitchers out and bring poor ones in. It is used when you have a similar guy on the wire to what you have as your worst starter already.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby RDD15 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:18 pm

And if you do not think that saves can be affected, think deeper.

If there is no sort of innings cap in a shallow league, I am going to start out drafting hitters and closers. I will own the best relief corps in the league, and probably the best hitters. Then, I will pick SP late in the draft, and stream away to lock up 3 of the 5 pitching and finish at the top of the hitting categories.

Again, in an AL or NL-only league, this would not work well. In deep leagues, the type of guys on the waiver wire is not good enough to stream. But even in a deep league, while an innings cap may not HELP, it certainly cannot HURT anything as long as the cap number was thought out well when set.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner