Eric Young - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Eric Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Eric Young

Postby GabbyJay » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:59 pm

I just picked up Eric Young in my dynasty, dropping Lars Anderson to get him (positional need. I have Fielder and Morneau already, but Kelly Johnson is my 2B). He looks like an excellent prospect to me. He's slowly but steadily progressed through the minors, showing a consistent ability to get on base and run like wild when he gets there. And he's not a complete Tavares/Bourn kind of black hole in power numbers, he's always hit a few HR. Seems kind of like an Ellsbury type but at second. So how come there's no hype surrounding him? Are there bad scouting reports or is this a solid pickup?
GabbyJay
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Eric Young

Postby mac-unit » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:29 pm

I don't know if he will make it as an everyday 2B since doesn't have the best glove(100 errors in 467 games) and his bat won't force him into the lineup. Even on the offensive side he only offers SB and run possibilities. I don't think he'll ever get more then 10 HR and RBIs will be limited even when guys are on since he isn't an extra base guy(18 in 60 hits). I wouldn't have dropped Lars for him, but that may just be me. I don't even have EYjr as a top 5 2B prospect, he is the closest to the majors though.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby mblax10 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:04 pm

Not a good move. EY2 doesn't have a position and doesn't have too much more power than his dad. He's pretty much a finished product.

Lars isn't hitting yet this season, but he's only 21 and and he's still showing his great secondary skills.

Why are you worried about positional needs of guys that won't play in the majors this season? Don't know how your league is structured but you just dropped a guy with Mark Teixeira potential for a guy who best case scenario ends up being a Mark DeRosa type with less power and more speed.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Steve-o » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:47 pm

To me, his fantasy comp is Joey Gathright. Amazing speed, but just never going to be a good enough bat or glove to stick to a full time position.

Coming into the season, I had Lars as the 13th overall prospect and EY2 was unranked at 200+. Not to pile on too much, but I hope you MiLB system ends in 2011 or shortly thereafter.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nate128 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:14 am

I'll go against what all these other guys and say that if Young can get the 2b job in Colorado he'll make all his owners quite pleased. The guy has huge wheels, and can pretty much steal bases at will. He also has a solid OBP each year, so therefore he is able to keep his SB totals up. If he was leading off for the Rockies you could expect 40 SB annually with a .290+ average and a whack of runs. These type of totals are definitely nothing to sniff at from the 2B spot.
nate128
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cardinal1975 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:19 pm

I agree that dropping Lars Anderson was not a good move (probably could have traded him for something I imagine) but you are where you are right now. I think Young is a solid prospect as well that has not been rushed, has learned to take a walk, put his bat on the ball letting his legs do some work helping him get to 1st base, and becoming a reasonable defender at 2B. I think a batting average in the .275-.300 is not out of line (depending on his luck of BABIP), up to maybe 5-8 homeruns a season (possibly 10 in Coors), and 30-50ish steals if he gets 400 plus plate appearances. He may end up being a utility type that plays 2B and the some CF and LF or may just stick at 2B. His arm is lacking to be a true infield utility type like Chone Figgins, but I do think Figgins is a reasonable offensive comp for him.

I would rather have had Anderson but Young will still have good value espcially in Roto leagues.
cardinal1975
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby GabbyJay » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:04 pm

I appreciate the advice, but I have to say, the more I look at it, the more I like this move. If EY's defence will hold him back that's a problem, but I don't think it will be his bat. He's progressed through the minors over the past 4 years and has put up comparable numbers at every level. I suppose he could always top out as a AAAA player (like the aforementioned Gathright) but I'll take this as a good sign. His BA has ranged from .290-.309, which is + even at the low end (Lars has a career .295 BA). A 77.4% SB success rate is very good, and his MiLB average is 64 SB/500 PA. Presumably a speedster who gets on base will score a ton of runs. The power numbers lack, certainly, but he is a middle infielder, and for elite production in other stats, I can find power elsewhere. As for Lars, I haven't seen the power in the minors yet (14 HR/500 PA, plus 31 doubles. Not sure how many doubles you want to see to project a developing power hitter), and his struggles this year so far made me decide I might as well wait for someone who could fill a bigger need for me down the road.
GabbyJay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yanks_Baby » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:41 pm

he's got a long future of a bench player utility guy. like Jerry Hairston jr. now.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby nate128 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:35 pm

ummmmm no..... but that's alright cause your a yanks fan.
nate128
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yanks_Baby » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:39 pm

nate128 wrote:ummmmm no..... but that's alright cause your a yanks fan.

That was both called for and intelligent.

Fool.

If you've read any scouting reports, or even evaluated EY Jr. yourself, you would see what I am saying. People, yourself included, get all high on teh idea of a new top tier prospect. He will never be that. He is average or below average at everything besides speed. He has the athleticism to play multiple positions, and will be a great pinch runner and occasional hitter.

He's a bench utility man. Very useful for a team, not so much in fantasy.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball