ESPN: Braves interested in Penny? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ESPN: Braves interested in Penny?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: ESPN: Braves interested in Penny?

Postby B-Chad » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:40 pm

I don't care for either player, but that stat about Kawakami is interesting, and would lead me to believe that this would be a good move. Also, considering Olney said it may be a money move for the Braves (though stated Francouer makes less then Penny :-? ) I'm assuming the Sox might pick up some of Penny's contract? Like I said, I'm not a fan of either, and think the Braves would be better off keeping Medlen in the rotation and moving Kawakami to the pen then dealing for Penny... but I also don't think Frenchy should be on a Major League roster, so really to me it's a wash. I do however think Penny would post better numbers then Glavine this year. Glavine is a soft tossing injury prone lefty who doesn't have the pin point accuracy he wants had at this point in his career, essentially making him a BP pitcher. For anything Glavine might add to the team in veteran leadership he is almost certainly giving back when he throws games that he's unable to get out of the 3rd inning and taxing the bullpen, and realistically even in good starts it's unlikely he'd go more then 5-6 IP, so in that sense alone, if Penny is healthy, he should at least be able to do better then that. Anyways, it's a rumor about guys who are just about the last player on their rosters getting swapped who make similar money, not anything to get worked up about if you ask me.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigken117 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:43 pm

I would rather see the Sox get a bag of used balls than Francoeur, but Penny has a lot more to offer than Glavine. I would rather see the Sox move him to make room for Buchholz, not get another 25 man roster player back. (Never mind the worst every day player in baseball).

CadensDad wrote: The Veteran leadership Glavine could provide alone is worth more than Penny.

Uhh....

Veteran leadership while giving up 17 base runners in 10 IP in the minor leagues does not a winner make.

There's a reason why nobody will sign Glavine but there's a market for Penny's services.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:20 pm

i dont know why you're appalled here...penny seems to have garnered the attention of a few teams that need pitching (the phillies being one of them). the red sox told the phils it would take top prospect jason donald. if the sox are only asking for francoeur in return, then you're adding a ton of value, mostly because no one else would want francoeur at this point. now if they were asking for medlen or even schafer, then i could see you not wanting to do it, but for this offer, id jump on it right away if im the braves.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby walkoffblast » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:53 pm

B-Chad wrote: Also, considering Olney said it may be a money move for the Braves (though stated Francouer makes less then Penny :-? ) I'm assuming the Sox might pick up some of Penny's contract?

Keep in mind Francoeur just had his first year of arbitration. Someone may end up having to pay him 4 mil or so next year after arbitration. So maybe the braves take on some extra salary for this year but save money in the long run. Is Francoeur out of options?
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:04 am

CadensDad wrote:
Are you freaking kidding me? IF this deal happens it has got to be one of the stupidest moves in baseball history. We cut ties with the last of the big 3 pitchers we have after we send him on a bunch of minor league rehab assignments. We tell him he's not good enough to pitch for us, (We all disgrace a man who won over 230 plus games for our team, not to mention possibly pissed him off enough to keep him from helping as a scout, or spring training instructor or anything like that.) then we deal our RF who is at the lowest point of his short career for...... a crappy pitcher? Seriously is Frank Wren smoking crack? What would be the point of trading away Francoeur for Brad Penny?..... IF we needed pitching then MAYBE but most likely still not. We could have kept Glavine (Sold some extra tickets since a lot of people would like to see a 300 game winning pitching pitch.), Kept Francoeur who has ZERO on the trade return.

Geez please guys is there any logic to this? I know I'm a homer but this just seems stupid.

CadensDad wrote:I hope your joking, Penny doing more for the Braves rotation than Glavine? Seriously, I've heard some crazy things but that's up there on the list. The Veteran leadership Glavine could provide alone is worth more than Penny.

Francoeur might suck but he's worth more than a broken down never was pitcher like Penny.

You like Glavine and Francoeur waaaaaaaaaaay too much.
Francoeur should be dealt for nearly anybody who is cheap enough and has a pulse, and if Glavine is done, he's done.

The Veteran LeadershipTM that Glavine shows is absolutely worthless if every time he's on the mound he gives up 6 ER in 5 innings or whatever.

Wren is actually making the right noises here, surprisingly, after some real disasters to begin his GM career.

bigken117 wrote:I would rather see the Sox get a bag of used balls than Francoeur, but Penny has a lot more to offer than Glavine. I would rather see the Sox move him to make room for Buchholz, not get another 25 man roster player back. (Never mind the worst every day player in baseball).

CadensDad wrote: The Veteran leadership Glavine could provide alone is worth more than Penny.

Uhh....

Veteran leadership while giving up 17 base runners in 10 IP in the minor leagues does not a winner make.

There's a reason why nobody will sign Glavine but there's a market for Penny's services.

This.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby CadensDad » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:16 am

I think everyone missed my point,

The trade made no sense at all for either side. The Braves have plenty of SP options and lost another in Glavine. The Red Sox have lots of depth in the OF/DH spot and Francoeur wasn't needed. I understand Francoeur sucks, (I have come to terms with that.) Glavine would have made a decent/bottom of the line 5th starter. Penny and Glavine's value are close to the same,

From a P.R. standpoint cutting Glavine to trade for Penny made no sense. That was my biggest point. We already made 1 bad move by tell Smoltz he wasn't worth the money. And cutting Glavine was another that made the front office look bad from the P.R. stand point.

Luckily Wren came out and said that the Braves haven't looked into a Penny/Francoeur deal at all.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby walkoffblast » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:37 am

CadensDad wrote:I think everyone missed my point,

The trade made no sense at all for either side. The Braves have plenty of SP options and lost another in Glavine. The Red Sox have lots of depth in the OF/DH spot and Francoeur wasn't needed. I understand Francoeur sucks, (I have come to terms with that.) Glavine would have made a decent/bottom of the line 5th starter. Penny and Glavine's value are close to the same,

From a P.R. standpoint cutting Glavine to trade for Penny made no sense. That was my biggest point. We already made 1 bad move by tell Smoltz he wasn't worth the money. And cutting Glavine was another that made the front office look bad from the P.R. stand point.

Luckily Wren came out and said that the Braves haven't looked into a Penny/Francoeur deal at all.

Glavine was done like it or not. Or at the very least not worth burning a million dollars on. You do not win championships by playing the PR game. The fickle fans jump at the latest story but ultimately show up if you put the best product you can on the field. How do you already know it was a bad move to tell smoltz he was not worth the money? It would have been an unnecessarily large risk to sign smoltz at that price. I suppose you think the braves really missed the boat when they let andruw jones go? Aging guy, declining talent, been with braves a long time. Build your team with expensive veterans like that and see how it turns out.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:35 am

personally i dont know why the braves feel like they have something to win this season. mclouth isnt overly expensive over the next few years and is an obvious upgrade to the lineup but dealing for penny or any other vet is a bad move imo. the braves' chances of making the playoffs arent very good so why trade off prospects?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby walkoffblast » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:49 am

Snakes Gould wrote:personally i dont know why the braves feel like they have something to win this season. mclouth isnt overly expensive over the next few years and is an obvious upgrade to the lineup but dealing for penny or any other vet is a bad move imo. the braves' chances of making the playoffs arent very good so why trade off prospects?

I am not sure why thinking about getting rid of Francoeur and those future arbitration dollars for something mildly useful like penny would have been a bad move. That is def not trading prospects for veterans.

It is always interesting to me how baseball fans simultaneously criticize teams for trying to win games when they do not have the greatest chances of making the playoffs and teams that spend very little money because they already know that.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CadensDad » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:07 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:personally i dont know why the braves feel like they have something to win this season. mclouth isnt overly expensive over the next few years and is an obvious upgrade to the lineup but dealing for penny or any other vet is a bad move imo. the braves' chances of making the playoffs arent very good so why trade off prospects?

I honestly think the Braves still have a solid chance of making the playoffs if the hitting comes around. While we may not be front runners between our starting rotation which is one of the top 5-7 in the majors and our middle of the road bullpen we have a good pitching staff and if our bats can come alive/stay alive we will be in the hunt.

We have some ground to make up but with the Mclouth deal we made it early enough to get some mileage out of him this year.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers