ESPN: Braves interested in Penny? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ESPN: Braves interested in Penny?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ESPN: Braves interested in Penny?

Postby CadensDad » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Disclaimer: I know I am a homer, so if I'm off basis here please let me have it.

The Braves already have made moves to augment their rotation, calling up super prospect Tommy Hanson to make his major league debut on Sunday, after summoning Kris Medlen last month. But Atlanta might not be done adding pitching.

Atlanta is one of the teams in conversation with the Boston Red Sox about veteran right-hander Brad Penny, according to sources, at a time when the Red Sox have been doing their own research on Braves right fielder Jeff Francoeur.

As the Braves do their background work on Penny, this is part of what they have ascertained: The 31-year-old right-hander started horribly for the Red Sox, but he has pitched better in recent starts, allowing three earned runs or fewer in five of his past six starts.

Overall, Penny is 5-1 with a 5.63 ERA, with his velocity increasing as the season has progressed, and his penchant for generating fly balls might make him a better fit in the National League, and in a pitchers' park, such as Turner Field.

The Braves already have the makings of a good rotation, with Derek Lowe, Javier Vazquez and Jair Jurrjens -- and now Hanson. Kenshin Kawakami has made 10 starts, mustering a 4.63 ERA. The Braves currently rank fourth in starters' ERA, at 3.90.

Atlanta's bullpen, however, has been a problem -- the Braves ranked 17th among 30 teams in relief ERA, at 4.32.

It is unclear whether Atlanta would have interest in Penny as a starter or as a reliever; if the Braves added Penny to their rotation, they could shift Kawakami into their bullpen.

Kawakami has been effective, generally, through the first 45 pitches of his starts, but opponents have an OPS of 1.042 against him in pitches 46 to 60.

The Braves have a reputation among other teams for being precise in their accounting, so it may be that they could be motivated to move Francoeur -- who is hitting .251 this year, at age 25 -- partly to free up money. He is making $3.38 million in salary this year, while Penny is making $5 million, plus incentives.

Earlier this week, the Braves released Tom Glavine, who would have earned $1 million on the first day with the team, and acquired center fielder Nate McLouth from the Pittsburgh Pirates for three prospects.

The Braves and Red Sox match up with other pieces and parts, as well, if they were to expand their conversations beyond Penny and Francoeur.

Buster Olney is a senior baseball writer for ESPN The Magazine.

Are you freaking kidding me? IF this deal happens it has got to be one of the stupidest moves in baseball history. We cut ties with the last of the big 3 pitchers we have after we send him on a bunch of minor league rehab assignments. We tell him he's not good enough to pitch for us, (We all disgrace a man who won over 230 plus games for our team, not to mention possibly pissed him off enough to keep him from helping as a scout, or spring training instructor or anything like that.) then we deal our RF who is at the lowest point of his short career for...... a crappy pitcher? Seriously is Frank Wren smoking crack? What would be the point of trading away Francoeur for Brad Penny?..... IF we needed pitching then MAYBE but most likely still not. We could have kept Glavine (Sold some extra tickets since a lot of people would like to see a 300 game winning pitching pitch.), Kept Francoeur who has ZERO on the trade return.

Geez please guys is there any logic to this? I know I'm a homer but this just seems stupid.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ESPN: Braves interested in Penny?

Postby nsulham » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:55 pm

If it makes you feel any better I want no part of Francouer as a Red Sox fan.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CadensDad » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:59 pm

nsulham wrote:If it makes you feel any better I want no part of Francouer as a Red Sox fan.

That might be true, (I'm almost that way myself about him as a Braves fan.) But my point is what good would this trade do for either team?

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mac-unit » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:00 pm

I heard the Mets were interested from ESPN a week or 2 back. I would be pissed if it happened. I'd rather have Redding as a 5th starter then Penny. I wanted nothing to do with Penny in the off season so I don't want to give something up for him now. The Braves have a much better bottom of the rotation then the Mets so I don't see why they would even want him, if they could get him for nothing sure take him for insurance but Francoeur could get better value then that even when he is at the lowest point of his career.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:20 pm

Why would the Braves be interested in Penny?
Why would the Red Sox be interested in Francouer?

:-? :-?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby Maris09 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:25 pm

Glavine left the Braves and went to the Mets, so I as a Braves fan have no problem with the Braves deciding they don't feel like he can currently contribute. It was a business decision for Glavine when he left to go to the Mets, and it's a business decision now.

Fracoeur is a dog, so I'd have no problem giving him up for nothing, let alone something.

Bottom line is Fracoeur sucks, and Penny probably does more for the rotation than Glavine would have. If they can use him as their 5th starter and bolster their bullpen with Kawakami...at the sole expense of no longer having to watch Francouer take weak at-bats, then I'm all for it.
Last edited by Maris09 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby silverZ » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:29 pm

The only part of this rumor that makes sense is that the Redsox want to unload penny with Smoltz coming back and Bucholtz looking good in AAA.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby CadensDad » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:30 pm

Maris09 wrote:Glavine left the Braves and went to the Mets, so I as a Braves fan have no problem with the Braves deciding they don't feel like he can currently contribute. It was a business decision for Glavine when he left to go to the Mets, and it's a business decision now.

Fracoeur is a dog, so I'd have no problem giving him up for nothing, let alone something.

Bottom line is Fracoeur sucks, and Penny probably does more for the rotation than Glavine would have. If they can use him as their 5th starter and bolster their bullpen with Kawakami...all at the expense of no longer having to watch Francouer take weak at-bats, then I'm all for it.

I hope your joking, Penny doing more for the Braves rotation than Glavine? Seriously, I've heard some crazy things but that's up there on the list. The Veteran leadership Glavine could provide alone is worth more than Penny.

Francoeur might suck but he's worth more than a broken down never was pitcher like Penny.

CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Maris09 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:46 pm

CadensDad wrote:
Maris09 wrote:Glavine left the Braves and went to the Mets, so I as a Braves fan have no problem with the Braves deciding they don't feel like he can currently contribute. It was a business decision for Glavine when he left to go to the Mets, and it's a business decision now.

Bottom line is Fracoeur sucks, and Penny probably does more for the rotation than Glavine would have. If they can use him as their 5th starter and bolster their bullpen with Kawakami...all at the expense of no longer having to watch Francouer take weak at-bats, then I'm all for it.

I hope your joking, Penny doing more for the Braves rotation than Glavine? Seriously, I've heard some crazy things but that's up there on the list. The Veteran leadership Glavine could provide alone is worth more than Penny.

Francoeur might suck but he's worth more than a broken down never was pitcher like Penny.

No need to be chippy there guy. If the Braves thought he could contribute, then he would be pitching for them (at a fairly low amount of money might I add). So don't let your feelings get in the way of current day reality. I love Glavine too.

Either you haven't been paying attention or you don't care, but Penny has been pitching decently. He's given up 3 runs or less in 7 of his 10 starts this year...in the American league.
I highly doubt Glavine could muster that nowadays.

Either way, if Brad Penny is good enough to be the #5 starter for the Boston Red Sox, then guess what?....It's good enough for the Braves. And if it allows them to use Kawakami in a way that better fits his skills, then that's a good thing too. ;-D

Also if you're really THAT shocked by the possibility that a guy currently pitching for a top American League team might be a better option than a 40 year old trying work his way back from surgery...I don't know what to tell you.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby thejusman1 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:57 pm

Horrible trade for the Red Sox. Francoeur is absolutely worthless. He might even be worse than J.D. Boo. We signed Badelli on the cheap, why make RF more crowded than it already is? Personally, I don't trust Smoltz to not break down, so keeping Penny would make sense if all we're getting back is Francoeur.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers