This year's Beckett/Satana - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

This year's Beckett/Satana

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

This year's Beckett/Satana

Postby Katfish » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:31 pm

Last year I had Beckett and Santana as secret weapons, since no one in my league had ever really heard of them. So, when Schilling got back from the appendectomy, Beckett from the blisters, and Santana finally broke into the rotation, I flew up the K category, not to mention all the other help they gave me.

Anyway, do you see anyone else who might fit this bill in 04? I was thinking K. Escobar, since his numbers don't look great after his closer stint. Maybe he'll be overlooked.
"There's something kind of 'eee-yew' about a boy who doesn't like baseball." Foghorn Leghorn
Katfish
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Vladdy the Impaler » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:35 pm

contreras, matt morris, and greg maddux are out of a lot of ppl's radars this year... but they should be in for HUGE years.

grab edwin jackson if ur feeling lucky. he can pay off extremely nice in dodger stadium.
Vladdy the Impaler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ramble2 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:44 pm

R. Soriano SEA

In a similar position as Santana last year, although it's less obvious/urgent that he should be in a starting role. He'll put up nice numbers as a RP, and if any of the SEA starters get traded or go down, may get an opportunity to put together a nice season.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby shortsavage » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:16 pm

ramble2 wrote:R. Soriano SEA

In a similar position as Santana last year, although it's less obvious/urgent that he should be in a starting role. He'll put up nice numbers as a RP, and if any of the SEA starters get traded or go down, may get an opportunity to put together a nice season.

Soriano stated that he would prefer to stay in the bullpen for the rest of his career.

Rotoworld.com wrote:Feb. 23, 2004 - 4:59 am et

Rafael Soriano said he'd prefer to remain in a relief role, probably for the rest of his career.
"I just feel comfortable there," he said. "I want to be a closer, but I'll do anything they want." Unfortunately, it looks like the Mariners do want him to be a reliever. With his mid-90s fastball and hard slider, Soriano has the potential to be an outstanding starting pitcher. He'll be a dominant reliever, of course, but he won't be as valuable to the Mariners. It's uncertain when he'll get a chance to take over as a closer. It probably won't happen this year, but Soriano could get the job in 2005.
Source: Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Given that a ton of people have missed this tidbit of news, it may be wise to try to deal Soriano now if you can get a good deal.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:19 pm

To guys to keep your eye on:

Oliver Perez- Pitt, His big problem has been walks, but he had a superb winter ball, great control, and so far that has translated to the spring. He has like a 11k/9 k-rate.

Jose Acevedo- Cincy, This guy was tearing it up last year until the injury bug hit him. So far he has given up a grand total of one hit on the spring.

Those two will probably go undrafted, but worth keeping an eye on.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Katfish » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:30 pm

Vladdy the Impaler wrote:contreras, matt morris, and greg maddux are out of a lot of ppl's radars this year

It's funny, because my b-in-law is a huge cubs fan (like most of our league), and we were talking about how many more people we have this year, and he said to me "Well, I guess I won't be gettting Prior or Clement this year." I almost laughed, because how could you thinking Clement when Maddox is there!

Thanks for the replies. Pitching is my fav part of fantasy. It's so unpredictable and you never know who's around the corner to help you out.
"There's something kind of 'eee-yew' about a boy who doesn't like baseball." Foghorn Leghorn
Katfish
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Katfish » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:32 pm

Anonymous wrote:To guys to keep your eye on:

Oliver Perez- Pitt, His big problem has been walks, but he had a superb winter ball, great control, and so far that has translated to the spring. He has like a 11k/9 k-rate.

I'm from SD remember watching Ollie last year. If he can get consistent control, he's going to be an k machine.
Katfish
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby shortsavage » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:01 pm

Katfish wrote:
Anonymous wrote:To guys to keep your eye on:

I'm from SD remember watching Ollie last year. If he can get consistent control, he's going to be an k machine.

I like Oliver too, and apparently so does my league. He went for more than 10 keeper dollars. I would be surprised if he gets passed up in 12 team leagues.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Vladdy the Impaler » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:07 pm

he already is a k machine which is why i'm so interested in him... but that career 4.65 ERA and 1.50 WHIP is awfully scary... are there any other believers in perez this year or should i pass?
Vladdy the Impaler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:10 pm

shortsavage wrote:
Katfish wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I like Oliver too, and apparently so does my league. He went for more than 10 keeper dollars. I would be surprised if he gets passed up in 12 team leagues.

Wow, foolish....even more so if you have player inflation in your league.

I wouldn't spend over $4 on him personally. He's proved no consistency in the bigs and plays on a shit team :-t

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers