Hanrahan and his INF ERA / WHIP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Hanrahan and his INF ERA / WHIP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hanrahan and his INF ERA / WHIP

Postby raysfan4life » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:51 pm

So, I own this joke of a "closer" - gave up 4 hits, 3 ER, in.... 0 IP. So, his ERA and WHIP are listed todaty as "INF". I'm sure he's burned his closer shot in this second go-round (he gave up an ER in his last appearance as well, and no K's either appearance). Anyone know who is going to replace this gas can?
raysfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hanrahan and his INF ERA / WHIP

Postby mac-unit » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:02 pm

Why would he be replaced as a closer when he came in and did bad in a game they were losing already. He could have allowed 10 ER tonight and he is still the best pitcher in their pen.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 16)

Postby raysfan4life » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:34 pm

He has sucked for the most part all year. Saying he is the best in their pen isn't saying much. It's not like they were getting blown out - they were down by one run, and they expected their "best relief pitcher" to keep them in the game. As usual, he was unable to do that. You're acting like he came into a 10-1 game - it was 2-1. I can't believe you think his job as closer is secure.
raysfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mac-unit » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:45 pm

raysfan4life wrote:He has sucked for the most part all year. Saying he is the best in their pen isn't saying much. It's not like they were getting blown out - they were down by one run, and they expected their "best relief pitcher" to keep them in the game. As usual, he was unable to do that. You're acting like he came into a 10-1 game - it was 2-1. I can't believe you think his job as closer is secure.

Can you point out where I said his job was secure? I don't see that anywhere in my post. I don't think he will lose the job because of a bad performance in a non save situation when he shouldn't have even been out there because it was the 1st game of a double header. But that doesn't mean I think his job is solid like Mo's.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 16)

Postby flloyd » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:39 pm

His FIP is 3.89, xFIP is also 3.89, tRA* is 4.13 (19th best reliever), K/9 is over 11, and his BB/9 is a middling 4.

The only thing that's way out of whack is his .420 BABIP! Even higher after today's performance.

Now the Nat's defense sucks but that's ridiculous. His BABIP WILL come down and as long as he keeps up his other peripherals he should be able to put up a solid 4.0 ERA from here on out with great K numbers and a few saves and holds thrown in there. The fact is he's pitching great, he's simply getting killed by bad defense and simple bad luck.

Now there is of course the chance that he loses his closer job if the Nat's don't realize he's simply being unlucky but since they have no other good options and they see him as the closer of the future I think he will continue getting the majority of the save opps in DC.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby baseballspliffs » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:59 pm

He might be the "best" option, but it's still a pretty crappy option, one that I'd rather not have on my team.
baseballspliffs
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:07 pm

Ron Villone is the best option in that pen at this point...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby raysfan4life » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:14 am

Tonight - 2 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, team lost 3-1. I understand his peripherals say he is unlucky; I say in the world of "real" baseball, the bottom line is the result, and his results SUCK!!! And since the manager managing in a real baseball environment determines these things, my call is Hanrahan is out as closer by Monday.
raysfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Postby flloyd » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:33 am

I agree that there is a very good chance that he loses his "closers" job now and they go to a committee. Even nowadays managers tend to be reactionary and quite uninformed about modern baseball statistical analysis. However hundreds of thousands of innings of MLB data has shown that peripherals are a much better indicator of future success than highly variable statistics such as ERA. In the long run Hanrahan will be the best option in the DC bullpen. Given the chance he should end up with a decent ERA, great Ks and some saves to boot.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raysfan4life » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:53 am

flloyd wrote:I agree that there is a very good chance that he loses his "closers" job now and they go to a committee. Even nowadays managers tend to be reactionary and quite uninformed about modern baseball statistical analysis. However hundreds of thousands of innings of MLB data has shown that peripherals are a much better indicator of future success than highly variable statistics such as ERA. In the long run Hanrahan will be the best option in the DC bullpen. Given the chance he should end up with a decent ERA, great Ks and some saves to boot.

We are defiinitely on the same page. But the three key words in your statement are "given a chance"...logic and the law of averages scream to leave this guy in there, because he is due for a pretty strong run soon. But like you said, managers are reactionary, because when he's in the GM's office trying to save his ass from being fired, he can't bring up sabermetrics as his arguing point. Not good news for Hanrahan.
raysfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates