Kid on SI cover? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kid on SI cover?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kid on SI cover?

Postby rjwock07 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:18 pm

What are your thoughts on the 16 year old Harper being on the cover of SI? He plays catcher, crushes the ball, runs like a deer, and throws a modest 96 mph fastball. Will he be for real or will the SI jinx catch up to him?
Last edited by rjwock07 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Great things come from the mind of a man who can be happy, but never satisfied."
rjwock07
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar
Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 143
Joined: 21 Apr 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Kid on SI cover?

Postby DbacksRback » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:23 pm

No idea but this video was amazing 8-o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQQ5cZD8PgU
________________________________________

Image
DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2875
(Past Year: 78)
Joined: 2 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kid on SI cover?

Postby iltat » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:29 pm

He's 16, he's using aluminum bats, he's hitting off high school pitching, he's facing high school hitting, and he's throwing out high school baserunners. It doesn't talk about who his high school team plays (I played for a nationally ranked top 25 high school team, and our schedule would vary from 5A public schools who were in the top 10 that we battled to 1-0 games to 2A private schools [our official league] that we curb-stomped 30-0 to force games to be called in the 3rd inning [turns out there's a 30 run rule :-b ]), whether he can hit a real curveball, etc. His BA isn't that uncommon in high school (we had a kid end up with a HS career BA over .600), and just because you can hit batting practice really far doesn't mean you can hit or recognize a solid change up.

Injuries, girls, big league junkballers. This kid's got a whole lot left to learn. We'll see how he does in 2 years.
iltat
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 335
Joined: 3 Jun 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kid on SI cover?

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:31 pm

The Mets could use his bat right now. :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12812
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 18 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kid on SI cover?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:31 pm

There has been some rumors about him getting his GED and going to play at a junior college for a year so he can enter the draft earlier.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21514
(Past Year: 455)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Re: Kid on SI cover?

Postby rjwock07 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:There has been some rumors about him getting his GED and going to play at a junior college for a year so he can enter the draft earlier.

I think he needs to atleast finish H.S. He is only a kid and he needs those years to develop SOCIALLY. He will play quality teams and face quality pitching in all star summer leagues. And lets be honest, if we are talking about him, someone is working with him.
"Great things come from the mind of a man who can be happy, but never satisfied."
rjwock07
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar
Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 143
Joined: 21 Apr 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Kid on SI cover?

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:44 pm

iltat wrote:He's 16, he's using aluminum bats, he's hitting off high school pitching, he's facing high school hitting, and he's throwing out high school baserunners. It doesn't talk about who his high school team plays (I played for a nationally ranked top 25 high school team, and our schedule would vary from 5A public schools who were in the top 10 that we battled to 1-0 games to 2A private schools [our official league] that we curb-stomped 30-0 to force games to be called in the 3rd inning [turns out there's a 30 run rule :-b ]), whether he can hit a real curveball, etc. His BA isn't that uncommon in high school (we had a kid end up with a HS career BA over .600), and just because you can hit batting practice really far doesn't mean you can hit or recognize a solid change up.

Injuries, girls, big league junkballers. This kid's got a whole lot left to learn. We'll see how he does in 2 years.


It's not that I totally disagree, but you're talking about a kid who they are saying is legitimate competition for Strasburg as "best amateur prospect." Playing it off like he's "just some phenom" is borderline ridiculous. I mean you could say the same thing about the high school guys they're saying he's better than (Griffey, ARod, little Upton) and those guys seem to have turned out ok. I guess the jury is still out on Upton but it looks promising.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13710
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Building a metric. And being ignorable and stupid.

Re: Kid on SI cover?

Postby mac-unit » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:17 pm

If I were him, I would have wanted to get my GED then the go DR after last season, play better talent then he ever would in HS and JUCO. He'd probably have been over shadowed by Miguel Angel Sano though.

And he has a topic, so we were ahead of SI.
viewtopic.php?t=366456
Image
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1059
(Past Year: 114)
Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: New Jersey

Re: Kid on SI cover?

Postby iltat » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:26 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
iltat wrote:He's 16, he's using aluminum bats, he's hitting off high school pitching, he's facing high school hitting, and he's throwing out high school baserunners. It doesn't talk about who his high school team plays (I played for a nationally ranked top 25 high school team, and our schedule would vary from 5A public schools who were in the top 10 that we battled to 1-0 games to 2A private schools [our official league] that we curb-stomped 30-0 to force games to be called in the 3rd inning [turns out there's a 30 run rule :-b ]), whether he can hit a real curveball, etc. His BA isn't that uncommon in high school (we had a kid end up with a HS career BA over .600), and just because you can hit batting practice really far doesn't mean you can hit or recognize a solid change up.

Injuries, girls, big league junkballers. This kid's got a whole lot left to learn. We'll see how he does in 2 years.


It's not that I totally disagree, but you're talking about a kid who they are saying is legitimate competition for Strasburg as "best amateur prospect." Playing it off like he's "just some phenom" is borderline ridiculous. I mean you could say the same thing about the high school guys they're saying he's better than (Griffey, ARod, little Upton) and those guys seem to have turned out ok. I guess the jury is still out on Upton but it looks promising.


It's completely true that he may turn out to be the next Griffey or ARod. However, at the moment, he's only 16 and hasn't actually been tested. Until last year (or 2 years ago?), no one had heard of Strasburg either. He proved himself against a considerable step up from where this kid is, which was by playing high-end college ball. This kid's not even allowed into most Proms. The level of competition he's proven himself against so far isn't comparable to the level of competition Strasburg has seen. Thus:

We'll see how he does in 2 years.
iltat
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 335
Joined: 3 Jun 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kid on SI cover?

Postby markj11 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:11 pm

iltat wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
iltat wrote:He's 16, he's using aluminum bats, he's hitting off high school pitching, he's facing high school hitting, and he's throwing out high school baserunners. It doesn't talk about who his high school team plays (I played for a nationally ranked top 25 high school team, and our schedule would vary from 5A public schools who were in the top 10 that we battled to 1-0 games to 2A private schools [our official league] that we curb-stomped 30-0 to force games to be called in the 3rd inning [turns out there's a 30 run rule :-b ]), whether he can hit a real curveball, etc. His BA isn't that uncommon in high school (we had a kid end up with a HS career BA over .600), and just because you can hit batting practice really far doesn't mean you can hit or recognize a solid change up.

Injuries, girls, big league junkballers. This kid's got a whole lot left to learn. We'll see how he does in 2 years.


It's not that I totally disagree, but you're talking about a kid who they are saying is legitimate competition for Strasburg as "best amateur prospect." Playing it off like he's "just some phenom" is borderline ridiculous. I mean you could say the same thing about the high school guys they're saying he's better than (Griffey, ARod, little Upton) and those guys seem to have turned out ok. I guess the jury is still out on Upton but it looks promising.


It's completely true that he may turn out to be the next Griffey or ARod. However, at the moment, he's only 16 and hasn't actually been tested. Until last year (or 2 years ago?), no one had heard of Strasburg either. He proved himself against a considerable step up from where this kid is, which was by playing high-end college ball. This kid's not even allowed into most Proms. The level of competition he's proven himself against so far isn't comparable to the level of competition Strasburg has seen. Thus:

We'll see how he does in 2 years.


People aren't just looking at numbers. Size, athleticism, speed, 96MPH, does any of that have to do with competition?
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2112
Joined: 3 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Wright here

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: robertyq16, shereelo3, TheTrith, unioreimi and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Apr. 19
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi Cubs at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(1:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Cincinnati
(1:08 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(1:35 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(2:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(2:20 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Miami
(4:05 pm)
indoors
NY Mets at NY Mets
(7:05 pm)
Atlanta at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Philadelphia at Colorado
(7:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Texas
(7:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at LA Dodgers
(8:05 pm)
Arizona at Arizona
(8:10 pm)
San Diego at San Diego
(8:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Francisco
(8:40 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact