Is Jered Weaver the real deal? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Is Jered Weaver the real deal?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Jered Weaver the real deal?

Postby StLouisFan1972 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:57 pm

I own him in a league and was thinking of selling high on him, but do you guys think hes gonna drop off that much?
StLouisFan1972
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Jered Weaver the real deal?

Postby Carnac » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:24 pm

Keep Weaver. He is pitching like his rookie year. Has developed a new pitch and his command is excellent. Was one of the top prospects coming out of college. He is the real deal. A good #3 or an excellent #4 pitcher.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby budgerock » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:31 am

I agree that you should hold tight. He's still under the radar (being on the West Coast and not being hyped this season) so you still wouldn't get good value for him in a trade right now. If he makes the AS roster and/or continues to dominate to the point where he is getting some national press, you might take another look at selling.
budgerock
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby JoshExley » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:11 am

Looking at his peripherals...I would sell high. Pitchig like this for the rest of the season? I don't think so. Go after a Beckett for him. The season isn't about the past 2 months, it's about the next 4 I'd target someone whose value is low right now. Even a Cliff Lee.

My $0.02.
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jswede » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:06 pm

JoshExley wrote:Looking at his peripherals...I would sell high. Pitchig like this for the rest of the season? I don't think so. Go after a Beckett for him. The season isn't about the past 2 months, it's about the next 4 I'd target someone whose value is low right now. Even a Cliff Lee.

True dat - I like your thinking. that said, even with a little bit of a drop-off, or some inconsistency, he'd probably be worth more than you can get for him in a trade. Cliff Lee may be a good trade, if you can get it, but...

his season so far is a near carbon copy of his 2006 rookie year, where he went 11-2 with a 2.56era/1.03whip and a 94:33 k:bb...

in his last 6, he may be the best SP in the game: 5 QS and 2 CG in 44inn, with 40:11 k:bb, 1.64era/0.89whip. overall he's got a 2.25/1.00 and 63:20. I'm going to keep him.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JMB05 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:39 pm

jswede wrote:
JoshExley wrote:Looking at his peripherals...I would sell high. Pitchig like this for the rest of the season? I don't think so. Go after a Beckett for him. The season isn't about the past 2 months, it's about the next 4 I'd target someone whose value is low right now. Even a Cliff Lee.

True dat - I like your thinking. that said, even with a little bit of a drop-off, or some inconsistency, he'd probably be worth more than you can get for him in a trade. Cliff Lee may be a good trade, if you can get it, but...

his season so far is a near carbon copy of his 2006 rookie year, where he went 11-2 with a 2.56era/1.03whip and a 94:33 k:bb...

in his last 6, he may be the best SP in the game: 5 QS and 2 CG in 44inn, with 40:11 k:bb, 1.64era/0.89whip. overall he's got a 2.25/1.00 and 63:20. I'm going to keep him.

The guy was a first round draft pick a few years ago and he has the raw stuff which is what people say in 2006. This year, according to Gammons and other he has learned to pitch, and has the raw stuff. The guy is the real deal IMO. Barring injuries you probably won't get back as much as you give.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby Fenway Frank » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:57 am

did you not see the Weaver's start against the Jays two nights ago?! stellar performance!! if you need a recap of stats and a nice little opinionated blog to go with it to reassure any doubts, check this one out:

http://monkeywithahalo.com/2009/06/04/g ... ue-jays-1/
Fenway Frank
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates