First place vs the Economy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

First place vs the Economy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: First place vs the Economy

Postby walkoffblast » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:40 am

mblax10 wrote: The bad money the Tigers have locked up in 2010 is further reason why Illitch will open his checkbook to try and win this season.

They had plenty of bad money this year. Not sure how either part of this notion makes any sense.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mblax10 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:18 am

walkoffblast wrote:
mblax10 wrote: The bad money the Tigers have locked up in 2010 is further reason why Illitch will open his checkbook to try and win this season.

They had plenty of bad money this year. Not sure how either part of this notion makes any sense.

I'll try and oversimplify for you. Which is easier?
-Add one player in '09 that moves your expected win total from ~82 to ~87 which is very likely to win the AL Central.
-Try to rebuilt a team in '10 with a large amount of bad financial commitments and an aging core of replacement level players. Remember, it is also very likely the other AL Central teams will improve in '10. They can't be much worse.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby walkoffblast » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:17 pm

mblax10 wrote:
walkoffblast wrote:

-Add one player in '09 that moves your expected win total from ~82 to ~87 which is very likely to win the AL Central.
-Try to rebuilt a team in '10 with a large amount of bad financial commitments and an aging core of replacement level players. Remember, it is also very likely the other AL Central teams will improve in '10. They can't be much worse.

How exactly are you going to get a 5 win player?
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mblax10 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:29 pm

walkoffblast wrote:
mblax10 wrote:
walkoffblast wrote:

You have so much to learn my friend.

How many wins is Matt Holliday over Jeff Larish or whatever below replacement level player Detroit will throw out there? I can quantify it. Can you?

I'm done kid. Do yourself a favor and read up on baseball theory and finances. You have much to learn.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby walkoffblast » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:08 pm

mblax10 wrote:
walkoffblast wrote:
mblax10 wrote:

How many wins is Matt Holliday over Jeff Larish or whatever below replacement level player Detroit will throw out there? I can quantify it. Can you?

I'm done kid. Do yourself a favor and read up on baseball theory and finances. You have much to learn.

You might want to read up on your farm system before you pencil Holliday in the lineup. He is also one of the most expensive options out there.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby californiasunshine » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:37 pm

mblax10 wrote:
walkoffblast wrote:
mblax10 wrote:

Wow your a ****. Your so smart, you know how to go to fangraphs (which EVERYONE has heard about), then type in Holliday's name and scroll down to his WAR value. You really did spend sooo much time "learning". Teach me more of your ways. Maybe that 14 million a year that the owner would have to pay can be taken out of your pocket since you make it sound like "no big deal".
californiasunshine
College Coach
College Coach

Postby walkoffblast » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:30 am

Don't sink to the poster's level and join in the namecalling game. He is so much smarter than us that he gets to decide what the topic is. I ask how they are going to get such a player assuming I am wondering about issues such as relative scarcity of such players coupled with high cost in both money and prospects. Turns out I needed someone of his stature to explain that Holliday was such a player to me. I am always impressed at the intelligence level it takes to explain to me what I was thinking.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers