First place vs the Economy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

First place vs the Economy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: First place vs the Economy

Postby walkoffblast » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:06 pm

mtxdevil wrote:
walkoffblast wrote:And right on cue they make a money related move ...

And what would that be?

Magglio situation.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mtxdevil » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:11 pm

walkoffblast wrote:
mtxdevil wrote:

And what would that be?

Magglio situation.

I honestly don't think Mags will be out more than a handful of games. Leyland knows we need him to keep winning. We'll see though.
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mblax10 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:24 pm

walkoffblast wrote:
mtxdevil wrote:

And what would that be?

Magglio situation.

Benching a guy not hitting is a money related move? You're an idiot. Just give it up.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mtxdevil » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:29 pm

mblax10 wrote:
walkoffblast wrote:
mtxdevil wrote:
And what would that be?

Magglio situation.

Benching a guy not hitting is a money related move? You're an idiot. Just give it up.

There is a clause in his contract that states he's owed 18 M or something next season if he plays a certain amount of games this year. Though I still don't think he'll be sitting out that long.
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MotorCityKitties » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:30 pm

mblax10 wrote:
walkoffblast wrote:
mtxdevil wrote:
And what would that be?

Magglio situation.

He's not an idiot. They are benching Magglio because if he reaches a certain number of plate appearances this season his contract will be guaranteed for next season. However, no team in any economic climate would want to pay $18mil for a light hitting corner OF that's a shadow of his former self. There's been some rumors lately that they would just release him, but it looks like this is the solution for now.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mblax10 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:51 pm

He's also hitting 273/347/343. Those numbers justify benching.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby walkoffblast » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:58 pm

mtxdevil wrote:
mblax10 wrote:
walkoffblast wrote:
Magglio situation.

There is a clause in his contract that states he's owed 18 M or something next season if he plays a certain amount of games this year. Though I still don't think he'll be sitting out that long.

I'll leave the comment alone where someone made themself look like what they were trying to call me, which often happens when name calling is the game.

On the actual issue of interest at hand, I would agree that if Ordonez only sits out a couple of games this all means nothing. But, if this really was just a get your head straight rest, why call it indefinite and why do it after a game that was not terrible if you are trying to jump start the guy? Would some of you concede this is money over on field performance if they do choose to hold him out for a long time?

One interesting point to argue would be if they could really get away with this then a case could be made they would have an extra 18 mil to use over the next two years. If his option does kick in the Tigers would have something like 65.5 mil invested in Ordonez, Bonderman, Robertson, Guillen and Willis going into 2010. Ouch.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MotorCityKitties » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:13 pm

walkoffblast wrote:
mtxdevil wrote:
mblax10 wrote:

I'll leave the comment alone where someone made themself look like what they were trying to call me, which often happens when name calling is the game.

On the actual issue of interest at hand, I would agree that if Ordonez only sits out a couple of games this all means nothing. But, if this really was just a get your head straight rest, why call it indefinite and why do it after a game that was not terrible if you are trying to jump start the guy? Would some of you concede this is money over on field performance if they do choose to hold him out for a long time?

One interesting point to argue would be if they could really get away with this then a case could be made they would have an extra 18 mil to use over the next two years. If his option does kick in the Tigers would have something like 65.5 mil invested in Ordonez, Bonderman, Robertson, Guillen and Willis going into 2010. Ouch.

Yeah, this is a much bigger issue than the attendance. Dombroski inherited a lot of bad contracts (Higginson/Easley) when he started with Detroit, but some of those contracts are just as bad.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mblax10 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:33 pm

walkoffblast wrote:I'll leave the comment alone where someone made themself look like what they were trying to call me, which often happens when name calling is the game.

But you didn't. DUCY?

The bad money the Tigers have locked up in 2010 is further reason why Illitch will open his checkbook to try and win this season.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:11 am

If I was Leyland with the way Maggs is playing right now he'd be on my bench too, regardless of the contract. In reality ,this is perfect. I'm sure Magglio will get some ABs coming off the bench and some starts, so he'll get Abs to show what he can do. If he heats up, he may very well get back in the lineup. If he stays this cold, then why would you play the guy anyways if he's playing awful and is old?
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers