First place vs the Economy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

First place vs the Economy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First place vs the Economy

Postby walkoffblast » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:13 pm

There was a lot of talk about the Tigers and money problems before the season. Now its early but their attendance does look pretty bad compared to last year and its not like Detroit is a thriving city. What are they going to do? Could we see a first place team having to make salary relief moves? My guess is they are going to hope they keep winning and do well in the playoffs increasing revenue and attendance. It does seem dangerous though. I know MLB went out and got its teams some protection money before the season. They might need it. Who else is going to be tested financially? Are there other races besides the AL Central that the economy is going to factor into?
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: First place vs the Economy

Postby mtxdevil » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:47 pm

Well the announcers just said Detroit has been top 5 in attendance in the AL this year. Do you have numbers to back up your claim of bad attendance?
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Noggy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:57 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

27,800 per game this season (12th in MLB)
39,500 last season
37,600 in 2007
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Another Blown Save » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:01 pm

If they are having financial problems, then they should really consider releasing Ordonez. If his option kicks in, the Tigers are gonna regret it big time.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mtxdevil » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:02 pm

Noggy wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

27,800 per game this season (12th in MLB)
39,500 last season
37,600 in 2007

Hm I guess it is a noticeable drop from last year, good for 4th in the AL. Pitt's 16k is kinda sad.
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:19 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:If they are having financial problems, then they should really consider releasing Ordonez. If his option kicks in, the Tigers are gonna regret it big time.

this was the rumor i heard awhile ago that i could see happening, but if he starts hitting they likely have a hard time not getting a greivance from the players union

as far as trading good players while contending (i.e. Miggy to Boston that was rumored some time ago) i highly doubt that happens. Illitch may be paying more than he wants to right now, but the dude still has deep pockets (Red Wings reaching the cup is a nice help) and he's passionite about winning. even if they fall out of it they arent going to trade him.
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby MotorCityKitties » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:40 pm

The percentage drop really isn't anything to be concerned about. There was so much hype and excitement after the Cabrera trade that expecting the same attendance would be unrealistic even without the recession. There was a huge increase in season ticket purchases after the trade went through. Don't get me wrong, the Michigan economy has affected attendance, but it would be a better reflection of sales if you compare this year to 2006 or 2007. 2008's inflated numbers are unattainable after a last place finish and no big offseason signings.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mtxdevil » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:10 pm

Regarding Cabrera Dombrowski has said there's absolutely no way they're trading him anywhere. He's here to stay.
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby californiasunshine » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:28 pm

MotorCityKitties wrote:The percentage drop really isn't anything to be concerned about. There was so much hype and excitement after the Cabrera trade that expecting the same attendance would be unrealistic even without the recession. There was a huge increase in season ticket purchases after the trade went through. Don't get me wrong, the Michigan economy has affected attendance, but it would be a better reflection of sales if you compare this year to 2006 or 2007. 2008's inflated numbers are unattainable after a last place finish and no big offseason signings.

Ummmm 2007 had about the same number as 2008 so that can't be the reason. 39K to 37K and now it's dropped to mid 20's
californiasunshine
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MotorCityKitties » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:47 pm

californiasunshine wrote:
MotorCityKitties wrote:The percentage drop really isn't anything to be concerned about. There was so much hype and excitement after the Cabrera trade that expecting the same attendance would be unrealistic even without the recession. There was a huge increase in season ticket purchases after the trade went through. Don't get me wrong, the Michigan economy has affected attendance, but it would be a better reflection of sales if you compare this year to 2006 or 2007. 2008's inflated numbers are unattainable after a last place finish and no big offseason signings.

Ummmm 2007 had about the same number as 2008 so that can't be the reason. 39K to 37K and now it's dropped to mid 20's

Ummm Detroit's attendance spikes in the summer because of the weather. They will be above 30K soon now that school is out and the weather is nicer. Not everyone has "californiasunshine" all year long. Also, 2007 they were one year removed from a world series appearance, so 2005 and 2006 might be the best comparison.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers