Are Betting Lines Useful For Picking Starting Pitchers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Are Betting Lines Useful For Picking Starting Pitchers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Are Betting Lines Useful For Picking Starting Pitchers?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:55 pm

jy2003 wrote:There's a reason the house always wins.

because they take a percentage of your winnings and try to set the line so that they get 50% of the money on each side :-?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rjforlife » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:50 pm

rjforlife wrote:Todays possible adds as favorites(again note some of these guys are borderline available but I am erring on the side of assuming people are NOT taken):

Sonnanstine(TB) -165 vs. Davies(KC)

Kawakami(ATL) -118 vs. Wells(CHC)

Wolf(LAD) -125 vs. Haren(ARI)

Parra(MIL) -115 Sanchez(FLA)

Colon(CHW)-140 vs. Mazzaro(Oak)

Thompson(Stl) -122 vs Arroyo(Cin)

Only 1 big favorite, 1 solid favorite and some close ones. Lets see how it turns out ;-D

4-2 yesterday with 2 wild wild wins with LA and ATL, neither of which did the starter win the game. Your added game was Ubaldo who pitched ok but did not factor in a loss. Will post todays lines/possible adds a little later once the lines balance out as there are no games for 5 hours anyways :~(
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 765)

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:36 pm

bigh0rt wrote:It should also be noted that the Total Run Line is just as, if not more, important than whether somebody is a favorite or not. It's not just the Money Line. It's the Money Line compared to what should be expected given opponent, track record, recent trends, home/road, etc. The same goes for the TRLs.

100 % agree. i definitely use the lines are a deciding factor, but to be honest, betting lines only dictate the likelihood of a win, not necessarily pitching performance.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:42 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:It should also be noted that the Total Run Line is just as, if not more, important than whether somebody is a favorite or not. It's not just the Money Line. It's the Money Line compared to what should be expected given opponent, track record, recent trends, home/road, etc. The same goes for the TRLs.

100 % agree. i definitely use the lines are a deciding factor, but to be honest, betting lines only dictate the likelihood of a win, not necessarily pitching performance.

This is true, but extrapolating that information can be very useful. My picks for tomorrow are Tallet and Zimmermann/Detwiler, and a big reason is what Vegas is saying about them without saying it. -120 juice on U 8.5 as an opening line without betters skewing it is low, pairing it with Detwiler being a pick 'em against Matt Cain, and it stands to reason for those to be that way, they're expecting him to pitch pretty well.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby TomBrooklyn » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:44 am

The following line for tomorrow's Yankee-Met game looks a little suspect to me.

Mets (Nieve) +188
Yanks (Petitte) -204

Does anybody think the Yankees are that much of a true favorite to beat the Mets, or is the line skewed because there are so many more Yankee fans than Met fans betting on their team in this inner-city rivalry?
TomBrooklyn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby daullaz » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:02 am

The line is probably skewed due to the Mets finding new and inventive ways to lose games.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 116)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:36 pm

TomBrooklyn wrote:The following line for tomorrow's Yankee-Met game looks a little suspect to me.

Mets (Nieve) +188
Yanks (Petitte) -204

Does anybody think the Yankees are that much of a true favorite to beat the Mets, or is the line skewed because there are so many more Yankee fans than Met fans betting on their team in this inner-city rivalry?

The Yankees are a near or greater than -200 money line favorite almost every single day. A bizarre statistical outlier that's almost never worth betting on.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby xeifrank » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:47 pm

Yes! I use the "money line" in determining whether or not to use a starter when I am afforded the luxury of not having to start every pitcher. I think the biggest usage comes from H2H leagues, where you can stream pitchers in and out of the lineup.

vr, Xei
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby smoovethug » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:45 am

I use betting lines for lucky ladders, although I browse them occasionally when spot starting. I'd think that looking at the 5 inning lines would be better as they would be based more on the starter's performance.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby rjforlife » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:41 am

smoovethug wrote:I use betting lines for lucky ladders, although I browse them occasionally when spot starting. I'd think that looking at the 5 inning lines would be better as they would be based more on the starter's performance.

5 Inning lines are rarely more than 5 cents different than the game lines and generally about 2 cents more to the favorite. If they were more skewed to the starter I would agree but its about getting wins I think and as such the bullpen and innings 6-9 do have to be factored in.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 765)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers